Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: (SPOILER WARNING.) MY Halo 3 review lol  (Read 1407 times)

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
(SPOILER WARNING.) MY Halo 3 review lol
« on: October 02, 2007, 04:46:25 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I'll start off with my scores, and then I'll break it down a bit-

Gameplay: 6/10
Graphics: 5/10
Story: 4/10
Level Design/Level Progression: 1/10
Sound: 10/10
Multiplayer: N/A

Gameplay:

Gameplay was alright; pretty much the same as it always goes for shooters. There were quite a few intense moments in the game that did keep me at the edge of my seat; and they got my girlfriend wondering "Whoa and why dont I play video games???", and that to me is a good thing. However, for the most part, the game is boring, and doesnt hold my interest too well. I'm afraid that most of the time I was running through Halo 3, it was for the achievements and not for the game itself. My gamerscore is important to me. But on the plus side, I do like that there could be a TON of mobs on the screen at once (even if they are all practically the same enemies rehashed over and over again), and you can take em all on. Having *managable* impossible odds in a game is a good thing. Although it is VERY annoying when you get lost regarding your allegiance. One minute, the covenant is helping you. The next the flood is helping you. WHAT THE !@#$%. Its very annoying. As for the ending; I only beat it on Normal; so the ending didnt make much sense. (SPOILER.) One moment Chief and Cortana are on a ship with the Arbiter, the next chief is dead and arbiter is standing at his memorial. Big gap between the two events, and it never really shows chief die (legend ending, I know.). So w/e lol that was just annoying.

Pros: Intense action sequences, Made girlfriend intrigued
Cons: Boring at times, generic, confusing story elements that affect gameplay

Graphics:

The world graphics are beautiful in this game... for the first few acts... Then the game just becomes a normal ol Halo game with mediocre-for-its-time graphics. I do love the cutscenes; the lighting effects are brilliantly used throughout all of the cutscenes. However, the biggest issue is with the models. Theyre dirty. Models OTHER THAN Master Chief, Cortana, and the Arbiter SUCK ASS. lol

Pros: Beautiful map design for a little bit...
Cons: The game becomes more dated looking the farther you get... NPC meshes suck ass...

Story:

I greatly dislike the storyline. There are so many failed story elements that dont launch or finish properly. Theres subreferences to religious elements in the game; The Ark (of the covenant), The Covenant, The Flood, John (I could go on about references one of my old ZFGC friends found with 3:16, etc) just didnt really go anywhere. It was rather stupid, lol. On one hand its just your standard story; earth is at war, enemies have weapons of mass destruction, bush sends troops to fight, troops end up on a giant ring that they eventually destroy then the terrorist covenant arbiter joins us and doesnt really serve much of a purpose other than to look pretty after halo 2. <_< running sentence on purpose BTW. I dont know, Halo 2's ending left me hanging. When chief was all like "those bastages are taking the fight to Urf, rawr, I will kill them blah blah" I thought, "Hey sweet, city fights in Halo 3." ... but I didnt see any of that either. Halo 3 just left a horribly disappointing and rather unfulfilled conclusion to the series. I dunno, judging story can be a bit tough, because others could think its the most fantastic thing in the world; but to each their own, I guess :p

Pros: Eh it was okay.
Cons: Too many failed story elements. Conclusion was sucky at best.

Level Design / Level Progression:

I thought it was !@#$%. They should have just named the game "Backtrack 3", because thats what you do throughout most of the game. I'm sorry, but when the next part of a level involves going back through the same exact level you were just through while it explodes in almost every act, theres a problem. I want a cutscene that has chief do that for me. The level design is pretty standard to begin with, and once you start seeing the flood you see that the level design starts sucking... shame that the flood marks when you'll be backtracking for most of the game >_<. Another issue; the FIRST TIME they use deep water in Halo (and the ONLY time they use it), they !@#$% it up. First level; you're at this big waterfall area. You hop in the water... and guess what? ITS HARDER THAN !@#$% TO GET OUT. Literally it took about 10 minutes just to hop on the ledge you need to be on to get out, and you have to mash down your jump button or you wont be able to get out. Thats horrible game design, and the water physics are lame. lol

Pros: ...
Cons: Backtracking through craptastically designed levels sucks.

Sound:

Not a single complaint here. Brilliant.

Pros: Everything
Cons: ... :D

Multiplayer:

I havent played it online yet outside of the beta :P The beta was fun though, lol...

So yeah, thats my review I guess. I dunno, the game was just okay.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 06:33:29 am by Mamoruanime »
Re: (SPOILER WARNING.) MY Halo 3 review lol
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 01:26:08 pm »
I disagree completely, except for on the sound. And how can you do a complete review without multiplayer?

Nebetsu

Harbinger
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 02:08:44 pm »
I have complaints with the music. They need a BIGGER score. I'm sick of hearing the main theme EVERY TIME I DO A FREAKING ANYTHING.

Plus the AI can't drive. Seriously. They will run into trees, run off cliffs, run you over and everything in between.

Also: You can't judge it until you've played ALL of it.

• Yiddish Nebbish

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 08:11:04 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Also: You can't judge it until you've played ALL of it.

Eh? What do you mean? The only aspect of the game I havent played is the post-beta multiplayer; lol...

I left the multiplayer out and didnt give a final score because I havent played the finalized multiplayer yet :P this review isnt complete yet (and I've actually added a bit to it :P). But I did play multiplayer in the beta without complaints, so *shrugs* it wasnt too important since I love Halo's multiplayer aspect anyway lol; it'll more than likely get like a 9 or 10 outta 10

Nebetsu

Harbinger
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 12:12:18 am »
I actually found Halo 3's multiplayer to be MUCH better than the beta's multiplayer for whatever reason.

• Yiddish Nebbish
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 12:15:34 am »
  • Wu tang Forever
I agree with you to some extent.
I think the gameplay is better than you give it credit for.
But I agree with you on level design, every Halo game sucks so much on that.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 01:21:38 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Yeah- well it was hard for me to judge the gameplay actually... on some points it was really really fun, and on others it just pissed me off lol

I'm going to test out multiplayer as soon as I can; I was gunna ninja-join one of Nebetsu's games he hosted, but I wasnt able to get to a stable internet connection XD my account is only silver, but I've got like 10 "48 hours of Xbox Live" cards :p
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 01:42:41 am »
Just a note, you see what happened to Chief and Cortana after the credits, Mamo =D.

And I'd agree for the most part with the review.
the a o d c

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 01:43:54 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Really? O_o;;; isnt that just on legendary though? I plan on beating Legendary shortly, but I think I wanna run through it on coop mode; I prefer being able to respawn lol
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 02:00:15 am »
You see what happens to them after the credits regardless of what mode you complete the game on (I saw it and beat it on Normal). However, if you beat it on Legendary, the ending is extended so you see exactly where they are.

"It is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking nothing but the truth" - Jack, The Importance of Being Ernest

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 02:02:16 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
oh :( damnit! lol... I was taking a shower when the credits started rolling XD
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 02:08:06 am »
heh. Anyway, you can just go back to campaign and start a solo game on the last level (on any difficulty you choose) and just beat that to see it again. I did it so my friend Matt could see the ending.

"It is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking nothing but the truth" - Jack, The Importance of Being Ernest

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 02:09:36 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
yeah I was thinking about doing that anyway on Legendary just to see how tough it would be :P
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 02:44:56 am »
You know, I can tell why you rated this so bad. One clue is how you called the different levels, "acts."

I'll explain later maybe.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 02:52:33 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
It doesn't matter what its referred to as; chapters, acts, level sets; its all the same thing. A grouping of levels that mark a chapter in the story. o.0< And I didn't call the different levels "acts"; I was referring to groups of levels, much as the term implies o.0

Mission 1 (Its still an act/chapter/level set.)
Mission 2; also a set of levels o.0

etc until the end of the mission images :p... I could call a warthog a car and it still wouldn't affect the outcome of a review :P
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 02:56:30 am by Mamoruanime »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.368 seconds with 67 queries.