Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: World of Hyrule [Online]  (Read 12543 times)

Kreator

World of Hyrule Dev
World of Hyrule [Online]
« on: December 18, 2008, 03:31:26 am »
Hiiiii all
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 11:04:25 am by Kreator »
  • World of Hyrule

Pyrazor

PUMP UP DA JAMS!
Re: World of Hyrule [Online]
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 03:52:35 am »
  • OH LARD IZ PORKCHOP, BUST OUT DA HAPPY SNACKS
Just be aware that not using the title "The Legend of Zelda" directly and using original graphics does not absolve you from copyright and IP legality issues.  Hyrule, elements of the plot, and all of the trademark enemies would all be covered under IP laws so you could still not market it commercially and it would still remain possible (though pretty unlikely) for Nintendo to send a Cease and Desist order.  Additionally you'd also be liable to counter-suit if you did in fact attempt to use legal action for usage of any assets since they are representative of Nintendo owned IP.

Otherwise, it looks well made though there's only so much to be said for screenshots.  Consider publishing a gameplay trailer at some point.

I C'Z U
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 04:03:09 am »
  • Wooper Don't Give a !@#$%
and we have not violated any copyrighted material or used any registered trademarks.

Don't even lie to yourself. Zelda is Nintendo's IP, by making a Zelda game, you're in the same legal !@#$% everyone else is who just rip sprites.
ROLL TIDE WHAT? **** YOU!!! Geaux Tiga

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
  • Gamers & Developers Unlimited

Kreator

World of Hyrule Dev
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 04:04:49 am »
Well, It's a fan-based non profit game, Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't what this entire forum is for? Or are we all criminals here?

Regardless, as I probably didn't make clear, our project is a free fangame for fans.  :)
  • World of Hyrule

Pyrazor

PUMP UP DA JAMS!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 04:08:54 am »
Pretty much yeah, fan games are by their very nature illegal but it's still entertaining and worthwhile for many people which is why we support it.  It's not a serious misdemeanor, the worse anyone will get is a Cease and Desist and so long as it's non-profit it usually isn't an issue but you do need to be aware that you have basically no legal protection over any of your assets.

I C'Z U

Kreator

World of Hyrule Dev
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 04:12:37 am »
Pretty much yeah, fan games are by their very nature illegal but it's still entertaining and worthwhile for many people which is why we support it.  It's not a serious misdemeanor, the worse anyone will get is a Cease and Desist and so long as it's non-profit it usually isn't an issue but you do need to be aware that you have basically no legal protection over any of your assets.

Woah, well I would still think we have legal protection for our source and graphics, as they are completely original. Sure, the graphics are in a style simular to LTTP, but they are made from us from scratch.

I do agree with you regarding no legal protection over our concept and story, such as place names and character names. But if we do get a cease and desist letter, I would think it fair that if we changed character names and place names, then there would be no legal issues against us?
  • World of Hyrule

Pyrazor

PUMP UP DA JAMS!
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 04:34:03 am »
It doesn't particularly matter that you made your graphics because they depict objects covered under IP laws by Nintendo.  If you sprite your own Deku Tree and use it in a game Nintendo still can take action against it.

Your source code would be protected since it's not a direct copy of their code and you can't particularly copyright elements of game design.  For example, I could have a game in which my character swings a sword from a top down perspective but since I wrote the code and not Nintendo, it is legally distinct.

If you change names then yes, you have some grounds, but it's still a flimsy case due to obvious similarities.  Using the same artistic style isn't illegal, but using images that are extremely similar to their content would be something they could act on.  If you'd want complete legal distinction you'd need an original plot, an original title, and graphics not featuring any copyrighted IP or extremely similar to copyrighted IP.  Again it's unlikely you'd actually get a Cease and Desist but as with any Zelda Fan Game, it is a possibility.  I've only seen them happen to titles related to other series that were directly using copyrighted elements from the game but even the original OOT2D with all its hype, did not receive one.

I C'Z U

Kreator

World of Hyrule Dev
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 04:46:43 am »
Thanks for the information. However, everything we have sprited as of yet has been mostly general stuff like trees, plants, houses, fences, walls, cliffs, etc. The only issues I could see is with us spriting specific creations of their own, such as their monsters, and specific characters. But being a fan-based free game like many others, I would hope that our game may go ahead, and that we may build up a fan community to enjoy common interests.

So uh, this site is practically entirely for illegal purposes. Has it ever had any issues held against it?
  • World of Hyrule

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 04:48:27 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I love the art and such, however the disclaimer is a slap in the face to Nintendo and is also very... very untrue :\

Free or not, you're still violating copyright, and it is Nintendo's decision to shut you down or not. That disclaimer is an invitation for that <_<;;
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 04:51:51 am by Mamoruanime »

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 04:49:57 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
Just a word of warning, but Graal used a similar style (2x LTTP graphics smoothed out) and was shut down by Nintendo (even the free Java applet), just for claiming they made the graphics themselves.

Best of luck, though :)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 05:14:23 am by DJvenom »
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 05:05:08 am »
  • www.mouffers.com
I can see a lot of issues especially if this actually runs online at some point :\.

However, I must say, kudos to the graphics.
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART

Kreator

World of Hyrule Dev
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 01:38:15 pm »
Alright, I don't understand this now. I've seen 100's of Zelda fan-games on this forum, yet none of them got every single reply suggesting that it will get shut down by Nintendo. I assume it's because of the disclaimer. Disclaimer is taken off.

Our game seems to use as little from zelda as any other zelda fan base game on this entire forum, yet our every reply is predictions of copyright issues and such. It's frustrating...  :(

Just a word of warning, but Graal used a similar style (2x LTTP graphics smoothed out) and was shut down by Nintendo

Uh, sorry to say but our graphics are not 2x LTTP Graphics smoothed out. Yes they are 32x32 tiles (2x size), but they aren't resized and smoothed LTTP tiles. We made them from scratch, to every single pixel.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 01:40:24 pm by Kreator »
  • World of Hyrule

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 02:11:29 pm »
  • Colbydude was here.
Well, it's just a word of warning. Graal severely edited their sprites, but still got in trouble. I'm sure you'll be fine. Looking forward to it nonetheless :)!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 03:00:11 pm by DJvenom »
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 02:16:33 pm »
I have to say that this is very ambitious, which can be a good and a bad thing. Hopefully you can fulfill those ambitions :).
The graphics do look very similar to LTTP, but they have their own sort of style to them, which is nice.
Anyway, I can't wait to see how this turns out :D.

Oh, and yeah, it would have been the disclaimer that caused all those replies. It's because no one ever does put disclaimers on anything that they make zelda, because we all know it's illegal anyway, and the less we try to defy Nintendo its rights, the less they have to do with us.

And DJ, seems they have hotlinking protection.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.

Kreator

World of Hyrule Dev
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 02:39:06 pm »
Thanks, reasons for disclaimer was to actually avoid replies regarding how Nintendo is going to kick our ass lol. We also have had people rip graphics from previous projects of ours, and claim it as their own. Very sad when we spend so much time on them.
  • World of Hyrule
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 03:15:19 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

If it's an educational project, you've got backing.
  • My Myspace?

Kreator

World of Hyrule Dev
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 03:36:44 pm »
Oh wow, rather interesting read.
  • World of Hyrule
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2008, 08:12:30 pm »
Wow I am very impressed, hopefully this can be like graal online:)

You have very good potential and your game looks like one of the more professional zelda games!

Good Luck ;)
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2008, 08:28:36 pm »
  • The devil in the mirror.
Oh, looks sweet :D
I don't think you have to worry about Nintendo showing up outside your house, I have yet to see that happen to any other Zelda fan game as of yet.
Anyway, nice graphics, can't wait to see how this turns out ;)
Working on my Masters Degree in Computer Science.
Hey look, Zelda Coop....later.
Proud user of C++ for 9 years, and counting!

Kreator

World of Hyrule Dev
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2008, 02:25:09 am »
Thanks guys, we've all been working very hard on it.
  • World of Hyrule
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 75 queries.