Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 83   Go Down

Author Topic: Horn of Balance  (Read 463922 times)

Re: [Demo] Tech demo - Horn of Balance (working ...
« Reply #180 on: April 03, 2010, 07:01:23 am »
Interesting, on all accounts actually.

Dark-Hylian:
Having the shield's reflected light turn some specific enemies to stone is an interesting thought. Having it change people back to normal also seems logical. I'd be an additional function for the shield. It would be like the light is filtered/amplified by the shield and now has a cleansing effect. Mirror shield v2.0 :). Come to think of it. If I want to add in a reflection mechanic at all, I will probably need to make it so the shield can be used while moving, at your command and with angles (= 8 angles). That means giving the shield it's own button (like the boots) or turning it into an equipable item. Having it equipable would make it seem more realistic in the sense that he isn't carrying it in front of himself all the time.

I'm rambling on again, aren't I. XD

(Oh dang, I came back from work and realized that I left myself logged on to ZFGC again! D:)

My ideas on stone stuff:

Like WW, you could have "dark" enemies that you could reflect light at from the mirror shield to turn them to stone (wait.. do you have the mirror shield?.. I forget). Personally, I think it should be a staff. I had a ton of ideas, but I had to leave for work and now that I'm back I forget...

Let's see:
  • Small stone enemies can be picked up and carried like a pot, and they should press normal buttons.
  • Large stone enemies cannot be picked up and carried without an item that gives Link major strength but they can be pushed. These should be able to press down rusty buttons and can be used to block up waterways or lava flows or something.
  • There's got to be a boss that you turn to stone! You'd have to have an item that gives Link amazing strength so that he can pick up the boss and toss him into spikes or lava (something like that). Just an idea.
  • Turn lilies to stone so that Link can cross over water.. or something.. (I admit that I have no more ideas.. work and programming have used up my brain power for the day)

As for your question on the frozen/stone lttp enemies. I believe that running into the has the same effect as any solid. If you dash into them, you bounce back. If you just run/walk into the stone ones then it's like a normal wall, but I think Link should get frozen if he touches a frozen enemy, whether LttP does it this way or not (I'm too lazy to check right now, lol).

FrozenFire:
- I agree on the way we should handle large and small statues. However, picking up the large statues should be a choice, meaning you should not lose the ability to push / pull the statues after you collect bracelet number 2 or something. That might cause problems when people do the game out of order for instance. This can be done by making the bracelet also equipable of course. Hmm, there won't be many continues items left like this.
- A boss that turns to stone is a good idea. It could be a joke (sub)boss (one hit win after boasting it's strength, which might be funny), or as a way to temporarily stop it's advance. I'll put this up on our own forum as well to remember it.
- A rod is functional. I am planning to add some lore around the item, regardless of what type of item it will become. How it once belonged to a mage who used it to turn a kingdom to stone and hid it away at his final resting place. Something along those lines.

Edit: I nearly missed the freezing comment. Frozenfire. You want me to add in a freeze status for Link as well? Finishing the damage system requires me to redo large parts of the character system anyway so it's very much do-able (and fun to build), given enough time. Personally I was also thinking running against frozen enemies should break them. And that running and crashing against small stone enemies should push the statue back as well. No idea yet how I'm going to programm in that last bit though :).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 07:51:52 am by Martijn dh »
« Reply #181 on: April 04, 2010, 03:09:13 pm »
It has been a while since I added something new (because of lots of time spend on coding revision) so here are some screenshots of an new addition. I just spawned a bunch of them after each other, which obviously will not be like in the endresult.

1. "It's raining men."

2. "Is he stretching or something? I don't care what he tells me. That does not look healthy."

3. "Haha. Martijn hasn't allowing you to cross walls yet. Can't get to me can you?"

4. "Darn that Martijn."

5. "And that takes care of them. Now what's that guy doing?"

6. "Hahahahaha. Not a very bright bunch are they?"
« Reply #182 on: April 04, 2010, 04:34:32 pm »
Hmm, it looks nice. Also reverse of what stalfosses usually do. First you kill the body then the skull. It is actually a refreshing use of that enemy.
« Reply #183 on: April 04, 2010, 05:56:55 pm »
Oops. I was unaware you originally couldn't hurt the head before the body was destroyed. The way I've programmed it is that you can either kill the head or the body first. If you kill the head first then you get the sequence above. Otherwise the head speeds up after you. I'll make the head very hard to kill as opposed to the body to still get a somewhat simular effect like in the original.

Edit: Once the body is gone, the head's current health halves. That should make it even more like the original.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 06:10:27 pm by Martijn dh »
« Reply #184 on: April 04, 2010, 07:15:21 pm »
Actually you could kill the head before the body, but that would destroy the entire stalfos. I actually liked your solution.
« Reply #185 on: April 12, 2010, 12:23:22 pm »
I'm still in the middle of my studies for an exam this friday ( :-\ ), but I need a break so I decided to put up a new screenshot of what's been added last week. Namely the blue stalfos.

This blue guys walks around for a short distance turns his head and walks in the new direction. I've been tinkering with his walking routines so he doesn't continuesly try to walk up against walls and such. Maybe he'll need some more AI after that, but it feels right for now. Nothing too complex so far.

When you swing your sword near him he will jump up away from you before continuing to walk on like nothing has happened. The same happens if you run near him, hold out your sword in proximity or try to do a fully sword swing. I considered making him smarter then that, but it's a skeleton so it's credible that's he's lacking a brain.

Now that I'm posting this, I realise the skeleton does not get affected by the grass like Link does (by having grass appear over the feet). :-\ I'll fix stuff like that up if the situation actually happens in the next demo.

Anyway. I'm still planning what to do next (aside from further brushing up some of the latest new features). Chances are that I'll continue on this path and add some more enemies before continuing on with the damage system and redoing the character structure. That last bit needs some more planning anyway.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #186 on: April 12, 2010, 04:35:37 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
Silly Martin, skeletons walk on top of grass! Actually, it looks great! Nice work! You can still kill them with quick, rapid, successive slashes, right? I love killing Stalfos' with my sword...

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #187 on: April 12, 2010, 05:34:17 pm »
Ooh right. Skeletons have 0% fat. I completely overlooked that fact.

Btw. I forgot to mention it earlier. IF FrozenFire has the time next week or so (and that's a big if since he's got his own game to work on) then we might have a new video for you guys some time after that. It's been more than a half year since the last one so it's a nice occassion. I can also do it myself, but then there'd be that terrible lag again :'(

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #188 on: April 12, 2010, 05:39:35 pm »
Just ask his evil twin BurntIce.

Also, I would love to see a new gameplay video. I am really looking forward to this. And it would be a fan game my brother would actually play! He loves the original LttP (yet hates the 3D Zeldas... hmmm)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 06:12:43 pm by Mirby »

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #189 on: April 12, 2010, 09:36:15 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Btw. I forgot to mention it earlier. IF FrozenFire has the time next week or so (and that's a big if since he's got his own game to work on) then we might have a new video for you guys some time after that. It's been more than a half year since the last one so it's a nice occassion. I can also do it myself, but then there'd be that terrible lag again :'(

Don't worry, I can do it easily and pretty quickly. A video doesn't take too much time to make, and I have some great video capturing tools and editing stuff to keep the quality good. So, no lag, yay!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 09:38:57 pm by FrozenFire »
  • My Music
« Reply #190 on: April 13, 2010, 05:05:38 am »
  • You heard of the thing from the place with stuff?
Awsome! Are you going to enter this into Z3?
Sorry, I can't think of a more interesting sig. > .>
« Reply #191 on: April 13, 2010, 05:31:36 am »
Nope. Hadn't planned on it. I don't really get the whole set up of z3. I'm assuming it's something you have to physically attend and that's kinda hard to do if you're living on another continent.

FrozenFire: Great! There is a list of the added features in the starting post if you want suggestions. We'll talk some more in the weekend.
« Reply #192 on: April 13, 2010, 06:21:02 am »
Nope. Hadn't planned on it. I don't really get the whole set up of z3. I'm assuming it's something you have to physically attend and that's kinda hard to do if you're living on another continent.
As far as I know you make a great webpage, that is your booth and show off a lot of stuff about your game.
« Reply #193 on: April 13, 2010, 06:25:42 am »
  • You heard of the thing from the place with stuff?
As far as I know you make a great webpage, that is your booth and show off a lot of stuff about your game.
What happens if you win? Were do you submit?
Sorry, I can't think of a more interesting sig. > .>
« Reply #194 on: April 13, 2010, 11:12:23 am »
Random: There is a topic in the updates section. Try there if you're interested in the z3.

I still won't be participating. Life's pretty busy (from time to time) and what time I do have for myself I'd rather spend on the actual game rather then building a website. I'd have to really put some effort into building a site since I know very little on the matter right now. Maybe next year.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #195 on: April 13, 2010, 06:46:05 pm »
I think that's a wise decision. Now you won't have to worry about rushing to get a suitable demo ready by then, and you can take the time required to make this truly awesome. Which shouldn't be too hard; it's already awesome.

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #196 on: April 18, 2010, 10:25:33 am »
Just another screenshot with a little bit of progress:

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #197 on: April 18, 2010, 07:24:14 pm »
YAY! PROGRESS! ^_^

Still looks sweet!

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #198 on: April 23, 2010, 04:38:23 pm »
No progress report just yet (maybe a video one of these days but that's besides the point). No, today I've got a question.

What happens in the original alttp if you do a full sword swing but get hit while doing so? Or do you get hurt with the special effects still continuing? Or is Link invincible while doing that? Maybe it's the enemy that (at that time) gets hurt colliding?

I'm finaly breaking down and rebuilding the character structure so these question come to mind.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 05:27:51 pm by Martijn dh »
« Reply #199 on: April 23, 2010, 05:49:21 pm »
I don't know if Link is invincible or not and enemies can actually reach Link during a swing. What I do know is that the spin special effect will continue to finish once started.

I often like to call the duck to fly away, quickly charge the sword and release right before Link gets picked up. The swirl effect will rotate in mid air while Link flies away with the duck.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 83   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 75 queries.