Resources > Graphics

Koh's Sprite Joint

(1/9) > >>

Koh:
No, you can't smoke this thread, don't even try :P.

I guess I should have my own general place where I can get some feedback on my work.  As you all know, I'm an aspiring game developer, and have a few projects underway.  However, I've mostly halted the other projects in favor of working on my own.  There are two primary original projects I have going on at the moment, being World of Chaos 1:  The Jewels of Life and World of Chaos 2:  Kenta's Journey.

Here is a basic screenshot of what I have done so far with the new version World of Chaos 1.  Some of you may remember the last time I worked on it a few months ago before I lost the data.  Due to that, I've started from scratch, but it has also allowed me to make various changes and updates to my ideas for the game.  So that said, here's an early preview screenshot; how does the graphical style look to you?

Just a note:
-I'm aware that the sky and panoramic backdrops are missing.  I've yet to draw them, and have very little to no experience in doing so...so I'm basically putting it off for a bit while I build the base engine.  Doing the code to get them to move around based on the screen is easy; actually drawing them is far more difficult o.o.

FrozenFire:
The tiles are nice, but there is very little variation (at least, so far). When making a level/area/stage/whatever, keep in mind that you want the player to enjoy going through it, looking at it, wanting to check out what comes next. If you treat it more like an obstacle for the player to get through, it will likely turn out rather uninteresting. Usually games tend to have moving things as a main method of keeping the eyes entertained, making the game feel more alive. It's incredible how much difference animated things make. Also graphical effects like: particles (e.g. sparkles, dirt pieces, smoke/dust), glowing effects, sun ray overlays, reflections in water, etc., can all make a fairly minimal tileset look a lot better, which makes the game more interesting to play and much more enjoyable and memorable for the player.

Always be thinking of ways to make your game stand out amongst the crowd. Make it memorable. I really like your pixel art style for the most part. The biggest flaw I see in it is the font, which looks a bit sloppy; it should be more uniform. Just look at the lower case "m" and "n" against the lower case "e" to see what I mean. The problem with it is that it makes it hard to read, and the MOST important thing about text is that it should be easily readable, because that is it's purpose, to be read.

Besides that, the bar with the star on it has the black outline border run through the star's black outline, causing - for lack of a better word - "interference", which screws up the star's definition (I hope you follow; I probably could've worded it better). It might be better to simply make the star BE the end of the bar, rather than having the bar come under it. It would make things cleaner and more defined. Actually, now that I look at it, the 1's outline is having the same problem. Not to mention that it also takes away the "curve" to the bar's edges. You might want to make that bar thicker as well, or at least make a design that has the part with the number thicker, so it doesn't have the same problems.

If you fixed those things, I would love this completely. I am especially loving the tiles, the character, and the character's mug. Very nice work! I hope I helped you a little. I'm always looking to help fellow aspiring game developers. :)

EDIT:
I saw this and realized you probably already have a good grasp on level design:
http://tamerkoh.deviantart.com/art/World-of-Chaos-2-Graphical-Style-345849885
Aw well, maybe I helped you a little bit anyway.

Koh:
Yes you did =).  I've updated most of what you were talking about already.

Finally trying my hand at Panoramic Backgrounds again, since I've little to no experience with them.  I figure it's best to make the panorama similar in style to the foreground, keeping it "blocky."  The hardest part was shifting the colors towards the sky...

Koh:
*blows off the cobwebs on this thread*

I do have some things to show that I've been tinkering with lately.

Messing with 4 colors per 8x8 tile restrictions:

Practicing Hi-Res:

Whitay:
Those look very nice, good work. i love the second tileset, it looks very good and old school.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Go to full version