Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kid saves family by using what she learned from playing Grand Theft Auto  (Read 2887 times)

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
Kid saves family by using what she learned from...
« on: September 03, 2008, 04:42:46 pm »
http://mywebtimes.com/archives/ottawa/display.php?id=366041

From the article:

Many disparage the value of video games and their effect on today's youths.

Karen Norris, of Streator, will say no such thing. Not after her quick-witted 11-year-old daughter, Audrey Plique, sprung to the rescue of their family because a popular video game showed a potential danger of a vehicle rollover.

"She just knew, from playing 'Grand Theft Auto.' She saw on there that when a car rolls over, it can blow up. She knew that could happen to us," Norris said.

About 9 p.m. Aug. 27, the family of five was en route to visit relatives in Diamond when Karen's husband, Robert Norris Jr., felt lightheaded while driving on Route 113 about one-half mile east of Coal City. Their 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee drifted off the road while moving 55 to 60 mph, struck a guardrail and flipped four times before coming to rest on its side in the ditch. The roof of the vehicle caved in and the back window broke out.

"It was a pretty scary experience," said Audrey, a fifth-grade student at Oakland Park School.

Both parents lost their glasses and were dazed in the dark night. The three children -- Audrey, her 9-year-old sister, April Smith, and her 7-year-old brother, Robbie Norris III -- were wearing seatbelts, as were their parents. April was hanging upside down and Robbie was pinned down.

"I was really scared. I didn't know what to do," Audrey said. "But I knew I had to help."

Discuss.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 05:08:23 pm by Swoftu »

Mirby

Drifter
Re: Kid saves family by using what she learned ...
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 04:49:24 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
What is Gran Theft Auto? Still, an amazing story! Proves the GTA isn't full of bad information (even though cars don't blow up when they roll over, but meh)

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 04:51:40 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
What is Gran Theft Auto? Still, an amazing story! Proves the GTA isn't full of bad information (even though cars don't blow up when they roll over, but meh)

Probably not if they just roll over, but considering that it usually takes a car crash to make a car roll over, and since things can break and start to leak and what-not in a crash...you see where I'm going with this, can't you?
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 04:53:27 pm »
I'm glad that grand theft auto taught her to escape from a window and pull everyone to safety.

I kid, i kid. Although the help that GTA is a tad questionable, it's good to see her actually take the initiative and save her family. This seems to be the first time ever that GTA is in the news in a positive way.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 05:00:19 pm »
Thank god the family is all right.
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 05:13:55 pm »
  • Minalien
Give it time, she'll kill her family later D:
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 10:42:59 pm »
Of course you won't hear Jacky about this.

Give it time, she'll kill her family later D:
LOL!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 11:02:03 pm »
I don't see how GTA helped her save her family. She knew from GTA that can cars blow up when they roll over. Their car rolled over, it didn't blow up. Then without any help from video games she saved her family. Cute story if they ditch the stuff about GTA. It didn't help her save her family, her bravery did.
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 07:11:25 pm »
In the spirit of Jack Thompson, I'll go out on a limb saying she'll be a stripper when she grows up.
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 10:16:35 pm »
  • (b'-')b Jesus Guitar d('-'d)
I don't see how GTA helped her save her family. She knew from GTA that can cars blow up when they roll over. Their car rolled over, it didn't blow up. Then without any help from video games she saved her family. Cute story if they ditch the stuff about GTA. It didn't help her save her family, her bravery did.
Sometimes you aren't spurred to act without prior knowledge of what could happen if a situation is left alone. This could be one of those situations. GTA didn't teach her to save her family, but it gave her a heads up on what could happen and that helped her act.
T H I R T Y - T H R E E   T H R E E

Blog | Myspace | Facebook | Clan LmS
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 10:55:08 pm »
Sometimes you aren't spurred to act without prior knowledge of what could happen if a situation is left alone. This could be one of those situations. GTA didn't teach her to save her family, but it gave her a heads up on what could happen and that helped her act.

Still, everyone's getting excited over a girl who was very brave and then saying it was mostly the video game's doing. It wasn't, really. :-\
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 11:12:54 pm »
  • Issac_Amisov
Well I think it's pretty obvious if a car gets in an accident it could potentially explode...
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 11:13:45 pm »
  • Super Hero Time!
Well I think it's pretty obvious if a car gets in an accident it could potentially explode...

Maybe to older wiser people. Not really to an 11-year-old.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 11:23:33 pm »
  • (b'-')b Jesus Guitar d('-'d)

Still, everyone's getting excited over a girl who was very brave and then saying it was mostly the video game's doing. It wasn't, really. :-\
That's just because of the title. The people who are actually reading the entire article are actually commenting on the actions of the girl, with GTA as a side-thought.
T H I R T Y - T H R E E   T H R E E

Blog | Myspace | Facebook | Clan LmS
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 03:54:15 am »
  • I need something new to put here...
If the car had rolled over, and had crashed, I don't think the fact that the car might explode would cause her to try tpo save her family, I think the fact that the car rolled over/crashed would be enough to suffice for her trying to save her family, plus if she takes in that kind of stuff from GTA she's !@#$% for life.
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 01:11:28 pm »
So whats an 11 year old doing playing GTA hey? :P

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2008, 07:19:46 am »
So whats an 11 year old doing playing GTA hey? :P

LOL!!! Didn't realise that XD
  • Phoenix Heart
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 68 queries.

anything