Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: why the world is flipped in twilight princess  (Read 3572 times)

why the world is flipped in twilight princess
« on: October 08, 2006, 02:09:02 am »
as u all know, the world in tp is mirrored, lots of fans complain about this (no reason why though)
and I was talking to my friend about it, at first I thought nintendo wouldve just mirrored link to make him right handed and then they thought they might as well flip the world to make it a bit different
but then I realised they most likely did it to avoid things messing up, like link opening a door; on the gcn he'd just open it with his left hand (assuming) and the door handle was on the left side (assuming) but if on the wii version link was only mirrored, his hand wouldnt line up with the door handle, the animation would !@#$% up and he'd probably walk into the wall next to the door.

even if this isnt the case, you can guarantee nintendo flipped the world just as a precaution to avoid somethings that would no longer work correctly with a right handed link in a left handed world.

and still its not even a big deal
Re: why the world is flipped in twilight princes...
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 02:21:58 am »
  • When you express in one word, “the anus”
I had no idea the whole world was flipped O_o
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 04:38:07 am »
Well it bugs me because it's not the way the game was meant to be played. All the Wii stuff is starting to sound really tacked on.

I know for sure that I'm getting a Wii, but Twilight Princess for GCN is starting to sound better and better.
The Legend of Zelda: Hall of the Dead
Complete and free Zelda fan game
http://dayjo.org/uncannyvisions/hotd.html
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 04:42:50 am »
flipping the world makes no difference.

unless ofcourse youve already finished the GCN version.
its pretty much the same deal with oot MQ
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 04:44:26 am »
Yeah, but wouldn't you rather play the regular OOT before you play MQ?
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 04:48:11 am »
Yeah, but wouldn't you rather play the regular OOT before you play MQ?
if you dont go to some forums full of people complaining about minor differences you dont know which is the regular one.
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 04:51:46 am »
Well it's just that it was supposed to be for the GCN, and that's the way the world was meant to be when they designed it. Flipping doesn't make any real changes, just it's not what it was meant to be. Regardless, even if I get the GCN one, purchasing the Wii version isn't entirely out of the question, just it wouldn't be right away...or at full price (my wallet isn't big enough to buy essentially the same game at full price twice.)

Pyru

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 09:45:14 am »
See, the door thing isn't such a big deal. Nintendo must already have TWO door opening sequences, because you can open each door from both sides... so there's two animations, one where Link opens the door on the left hand side, and the other with Link opening the door on the right hand side. There's two options: either change the code so the door opens the other way around, or change every single door so it's "backwards" as to how it was before.

The way I thought about it is that it changes actual play dynamics: because Link's traditionally left-handed, players naturally place themselves so that their right side is covered and their left side out in the open, when trying to attack, so their sword won't hit the wall, and vice versa when defending. There's something similar that applies to the use of the bow and arrow, etc. but for the life of me, I can't remember how that works.

To keep the play dynamics the same, the whole world is flipped, so players use the environment in the same way. It's possible that some parts of the game are designed with giving players the right amount of cover in mind... a right-handed Link in a world designed for a left-handed one would be left out in the open with no way of defending themselves.
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 10:17:04 am »
the door was just an example, there could hundreds of animations they'd have to redo so they'd line up correctly in the mirrored world, and even if they all could have been changed somehow, Im sure nintendo wouldve still flipped the world just to avoid any problems it could cause

Gilgamesh

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 11:31:10 am »
It's too avoid problems, how minor they may be.
Let's take this situation:

Link's the Green thing, his direction is indicated by the Pink blob and his sword field is the 'light Blue' triangle.
The enemies are the Red circles.
The situation on the left would be Right-Handed, Non-flipped overworld. As you can see, Link'd have to hug the wall to the left of him to hit the enemies. Now, with the flipped overworld (right), Link's sword field and direction nicely match up with the enemies.

Flipping the overworld to accommodate with Link's right-handedness would avoid small annoyances like this, where enemies would come from an awkward direction to attack from.
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 03:10:07 pm »
The way I thought about it is that it changes actual play dynamics: because Link's traditionally left-handed, players naturally place themselves so that their right side is covered and their left side out in the open, when trying to attack, so their sword won't hit the wall, and vice versa when defending. There's something similar that applies to the use of the bow and arrow, etc. but for the life of me, I can't remember how that works.
I alway hated that, I'll be glad for the new right handed-ness, what I'm more afraid of is that the Wii remote won't feel comfortable for TP, like Pyru said just kinda tacked on, especaily in swordplay, before they added the whole swing the wii-mote to swing the sword thing I had no question it would work.

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 01:35:31 am »
  • Silly cat!
Yeah, there's a lot of idiots on other forums complaining about this mirrored world, without thinking about why. The fact is, if gamers want to be able to swing a sword in TPWii intuitively, Link needs to be right handed, which means that the world should be flipped...

It's not a big deal anyway, I think I'm going to like the flipped worlds, definitely.

Hoffy.

Fox

Turnbeutelvergesser since 1988.
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 06:42:18 am »
For me, it's the same with Link being right-handed - it's an odd thing to believe and see, but it doesn't bother me TOO much. It's just odd...
  • Me on deviantART
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2006, 06:55:04 am »
Yeah, there's a lot of idiots on other forums complaining about this mirrored world, without thinking about why. The fact is, if gamers want to be able to swing a sword in TPWii intuitively, Link needs to be right handed, which means that the world should be flipped...

It's not a big deal anyway, I think I'm going to like the flipped worlds, definitely.
it's not like the direction your swinging will have an effect on link's swinging though, which to me takes away the usefulness of having it flipped.

Dayjo

shut the fuck up donny.
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2006, 10:52:30 am »
  • hungry..
What about left handed people? I guess they'll just have to play right handed? I'd hate to have to get used to using a controler on my left hand.
  • My Blog
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2006, 02:28:15 pm »
They should have done a vertical flip...that would also work :P And lots more fun!
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2006, 02:38:50 pm »
  • :3
i didnt know they fliped the wprld XD but i dont care im right handed but i wouldnt care if i had to play left handed its just about training
  • daniel-kun
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2006, 02:42:11 pm »
They should have done a vertical flip...that would also work :P And lots more fun!
A lot more chalenging at first too. Zelda game begginings are always easier then you think they are gonna be.
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2006, 03:06:55 pm »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.
i don't seriously see what the big deal is. They should have done this with oot master quest, it provides a new experience! If you ever get around to playing tp on the gamecube, It will actually be funner than playing the exact same thing with different controls.

:ganon:
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2006, 06:09:18 pm »
It's like Mario Kart mirrir mode, where they mirror so it looks like more tracks.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 74 queries.

anything