Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Textboxes  (Read 4127 times)

Textboxes
« on: February 17, 2013, 09:41:03 pm »
After moving on from GM I realised it's quite hard to recreate things in a HLL where you have to handle like everything. Anyway I wanted to create a simple textbox 'engine' and I'm quite stuck in how to code one part whih is familiar to a zelda/pokemon type game (The old ones & some new) with the scrolling text bit. I don't have GM anymore and Diminish's Pokemon Overworld link seems dead so ...

After two lines of text are displayed it waits for the user to hit the on the continue key before moving the text up and drawing more chars - > Moving the text up has always fascinated me and made me wonder how it is done which is what I can't figure out. Is some layer drawn above the textbox as soon as it's moved up to 'hide' it ?

Any thoughts on this?
Nubcake
Nubcake now uses Purebasic!

Antidote

>.>
Re: Textboxes
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 09:44:39 pm »
  • In all seriousness who's serious?
What you could do is make each string an entity and toggle it's visibility when it's out of the text box, not exactly optimal but it does work.

EDIT:
Also GML is a Highlevel while C/C++ is a mid to low level, and ASM being the lowest before binary

EDIT2:
The "level" of a language pertains to the amount of abstraction there is, the more abstraction, the higher the level.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 09:47:34 pm by Antidote »
  • Axiomatic Data Laboratories
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 09:49:28 pm »
What you could do is make each string an entity and toggle it's visibility when it's out of the text box, not exactly optimal but it does work.

It's doable however i don't think the transition from moving the text upwards is instant or it could be ? I could record it on an emulator if I had the software .
That's given me ideas though.

Also GML is a Highlevel while C/C++ is a mid to low level, and ASM being the lowest before binary
The "level" of a language pertains to the amount of abstraction there is, the more abstraction, the higher the level.

Never considered GML Highlevel but I see your point.
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 10:39:05 pm »
While the Pokemon text engine stuff I did had a lot of neat features, it was really hindered by the limitations of the free version of Game Maker. The link in the topic to it probably refers to the old resource system on the site, if you need me to reupload it I could although the version on the new project system under Tutorials might be that same version.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 10:55:31 pm »
While the Pokemon text engine stuff I did had a lot of neat features, it was really hindered by the limitations of the free version of Game Maker. The link in the topic to it probably refers to the old resource system on the site, if you need me to reupload it I could although the version on the new project system under Tutorials might be that same version.

Yes that would be great if you could provide an .exe as I don't use/have GM anymore. Also maybe a little explanation of how you did it ?
Thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 12:11:49 am »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Never considered GML Highlevel but I see your point.

GML is VERY high level.  The more the language does for you, the higher level it is.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie

Antidote

>.>
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 05:36:49 am »
  • In all seriousness who's serious?
Actually I don't think GML even qualifies as a programming language. It's a scripting language.
  • Axiomatic Data Laboratories
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 04:03:54 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Yea, I'd have to agree with that.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 01:55:06 am »

Yes that would be great if you could provide an .exe as I don't use/have GM anymore. Also maybe a little explanation of how you did it ?
Thanks

I would do that, but I really don't understand how that could help you out. The .exe would just demonstrate how the end result of how the text is displayed, and given that you want to do something in language beyond Game Maker - the explanation would be for something that could be implemented differently and/or possibly more efficiently in another language. It wouldn't be applicable to what you're trying to do.
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 09:56:07 pm »
The exe would just show me how the end result looks which is useful because it might be whether I like how it looks or not. I don't think I need the explanation now since hawthornedote said that the top line should be invisible which got me thinking it looks a lot like that when I ran OOA.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 12:56:39 am by Nubcake »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 57 queries.