Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creative way to display health in a HUD...?  (Read 2021 times)

Creative way to display health in a HUD...?
« on: April 27, 2012, 07:33:54 pm »
I've started working again on my untitled 3D Zombie Survival game, most of you won't remember it there never was a public demo. Right now I'm stuck on a creative way to display the health in the HUD.

Originally I just had it like a lot of modern FPSs with auto-regen health, where no health is displayed and the screen just gets more red with damage taken. But I recently switched it from auto-regen to healthpacks to heal, and now I need a cool way to display the player's health.

I was thinking along the lines of displaying a human heart, beating, and have it beat faster and get darker/almost black as the health gets low. But now I don't like the idea as much, and want to go with something else.

Screenshot: (note that all HUD elements are just visual placeholders atm, & 599 is the zombie count)

Any ideas guys and gals?

Re: Creative way to display health in a HUD...?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 07:38:26 pm »
I'm guessing the response of 'how about a row of hearts that go black as your health runs low' isn't going to cut it eh?

You could have a silhouette of human body that has green filling it, and the green moves towards the feet as the health gets lower. Turning orange at the midpoint, and red in the low.
  • Elliott Parkinson
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 02:44:14 am »
I was thinking of doing something similar, but with a skull or human heart too actually. lol Still not completely happy with it. >.< I just want something new and fitting...
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 04:10:43 am »
  • It's just Max.
What if you did like hangman, where as you get hurt / guess wrong letters you slowly hang a stick figure?

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 05:55:20 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
On-screen tells based on health. Like 50 or below, maybe have red around the edges, pulsing like a heartbeat, and then when you're below 10, have it go black and white?
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 02:42:33 pm »
On-screen tells based on health. Like 50 or below, maybe have red around the edges, pulsing like a heartbeat, and then when you're below 10, have it go black and white?
I see what you did thar :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 49 queries.