Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blaster Master Engine  (Read 5369 times)

Ryuza

That one guy
Blaster Master Engine
« on: December 27, 2010, 05:49:50 pm »
  • RyuKage2007
Hey all, been doing some programming for practice and decided to take a shot at recreating the basic engine for the original Blaster Master. So far everything is coming along nicely and it plays almost exactly like the real thing, but if you notice any differences please feel free to let me know. Currently working on it GM8, might put out the source at some point but for now just the .exe.

- Jason Testing -
- Sophia Testing -

Current Version Info:
Currently you can only play as Jason but everything about him is nearly complete, the only thing left is swimming (Complete in the next version). The test area is simply the first room of the game with some ladders placed to allow you to make it to the end easier, making it back from the end is a bit difficult as the ladders get in the way a bit. Jason does take damage from falling too far like in the original and can die, if you do die simply restart the game as nothing will happen afterward.

The Sophia test version exclusively includes Sophia, no getting out of the tank for Jason yet but Sophia seems nearly complete. Haven't noticed any bugs yet other than a bug that I've put in from the original, nothing problematic just shooting while Sophia is in-between looking horizontally and vertically causes the bullets the be created at a different point.

Controls:
Arrow Keys - Move
Z - Jump
X - Shoot
Left Click - Teleports Jason to that location (Testing)
Up + C - Resets the stage (Testing)
Esc - Exit the game

Known Differences:
 - Sophia builds up speed and moves quicker
 - Sophia's Jumping is slightly off
 - Sophia's Bullets are a tiny bit slower in mine
 - The view scrolls a bit later then it should

Upcoming Features:
- Playable Sophia*
  - Swimming
  - Hover
  - Wall Climbing
- Swimming as Jason*
- Overhead playable Jason
- Basic enemies

*Finished

Let me know if you notice any bugs and I'll do my best to fix them. C+C would appreciated.

Edit 12/30/10: Added a quick test for Sophia.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 06:54:00 am by Ryuza »
<- Koholint Island - MC Style  <- Link's Awakening Photo Recolors  <- Wind Waker 3D Resources <- Super Mario Bros Crossover
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube

DJvenom

super-sage
Re: Blaster Master Engine
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 07:05:50 pm »
  • Colbydude was here.
Unavailable services ;-;!!! I wanna try this out so hard!
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 07:15:05 pm »
  • Xiphirx
? The download is working...
  • For The Swarm
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 09:43:54 pm »
Yeah, same here

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 09:25:58 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
It's up for me now :P

Add to known issues: Jumping off of a 1 block high cliff = hurt. Shooting while dead. :P

Overall its looking nice tho :D
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art

Ryuza

That one guy
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 09:32:30 pm »
  • RyuKage2007
The damage from jumping off a one high cliff is right, in the original jumping from a height of 4 blocks causes damage and Jason can jump 3 blocks, or did you mean that just walking off caused damage? I thought I ad fixed being able to shoot while dead though, I just double checked thought and it should be fixed in the next version at least.

Almost finished with the basic movement for Sophia, since it's pretty much the same as Jason it's been pretty easy but it's taking a bit of time to go through and get the wheels to act like the do in the original since they have a lot of small changes depending on what you're doing. Should have a it posted in a few days though.

Let me know if you find any other bugs. :)
<- Koholint Island - MC Style  <- Link's Awakening Photo Recolors  <- Wind Waker 3D Resources <- Super Mario Bros Crossover
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 02:48:50 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
I dunno, I'd just bump it up to 5, because seeing him take damage when jumping off of a 1 tile high cliff seems awkward :( Maybe have it check to make sure he didn't jump when calculating damage?
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 04:58:20 am »
Yeah, never played Blaster Master. I thought I should play the original first before I pointed anything out. Ryuza is correct, as idiotic as I have found the jump damage to be, it is true to the game. Probably why you should never try to leave the tank. XD
  • Pyxosoft

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 05:19:19 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
XD yeah; leaving the tank is a no-no unless you're in Area 5.

They really had something going with the japanese area 4 though... you have to exit your tank and take a freefall onto a ladder just to get to the next area. More stuff like that would have been pleasurable :D

Ryuza

That one guy
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 06:49:11 am »
  • RyuKage2007
Yeah, that part in area 4 was pretty crazy, would have been interesting to try that my first time through as a kid, lol.

Maybe if Jason had a mini-hover pack that worked like Sophia's hover or something and could get you a tiny bit further you might be able to get pretty far and it might be more fun, I was thinking of trying to add something like that to mess around with eventually.

I always thought it was fun though cause it just seemed really risky to go off with this tiny guy who gets hurt from jumping too far and take down tons of huge monsters, it would definitely be interesting to make an attempt at going through the game with just Jason though, if he had something to help him reach the high up places that is.
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 02:02:41 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
Wow, you're right... I guess because you're in sophia for all the major jumping you never realize how brittle your leg bones are :P Or maybe that's WHY they're brittle!?
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art

Ryuza

That one guy
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 12:02:28 am »
  • RyuKage2007
Or maybe that's WHY they're brittle!?
Lol, that might be it :D

Speaking of Sophia, heres a quick test for her.

The Sophia test version exclusively includes Sophia, no getting out of the tank for Jason yet but that will be next up. As far as I can tell there no bugs for Sophia other then one I've put in from the original, nothing problematic just shooting while Sophia is in-between looking horizontally and vertically causes the bullets the be created at a different point, it's a bit hard to trigger it, basically just tap up and shoot over and over and it'll happen eventually.

Oh, I'm using a nes controller to play so I can't really press left & right together but if you do it just mixes up the sprite, I'll have that fixed in the next version though.
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 12:59:20 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Movement's pretty flawless, but firing is off. IIRC it's a lot more responsive in the original (you don't have a delay in the bullet direction when you change aim, even if the animation is currently changing)

Ryuza

That one guy
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 01:16:03 am »
  • RyuKage2007
Movement's pretty flawless

but firing is off. IIRC it's a lot more responsive in the original (you don't have a delay in the bullet direction when you change aim, even if the animation is currently changing)
Hmm, I was just testing it next to the original and it seems about right, I haven't really noticed much of a delay in mine.

Though it does seem like the bullet speed is a tiny bit slower than the original, meaning the bullets stay on screen a bit longer preventing you from shooting again when you the reach the limit of three on screen at once.

Edit: Just realized theres a small bug that causes the wheels to stand still while moving along the ground and pointing upwards.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 01:57:23 am by Ryuza »
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2010, 02:47:24 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Movement's pretty flawless

but firing is off. IIRC it's a lot more responsive in the original (you don't have a delay in the bullet direction when you change aim, even if the animation is currently changing)
Hmm, I was just testing it next to the original and it seems about right, I haven't really noticed much of a delay in mine.

Though it does seem like the bullet speed is a tiny bit slower than the original, meaning the bullets stay on screen a bit longer preventing you from shooting again when you the reach the limit of three on screen at once.

Edit: Just realized theres a small bug that causes the wheels to stand still while moving along the ground and pointing upwards.

Let me try dual-running both games real quick. Easiest way to check if something's off :P run em' both at the same time XD

EDIT: Actually it's pretty spot on. I was thinking there was a bit too much lag between the time that you can fire up from firing left/right. The only thing that's off is when you press up, there's not enough delay in the animation, but that's the only thing I could spot :P
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 03:19:48 am by Mamoruアニメ »

Ryuza

That one guy
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2010, 06:46:53 am »
  • RyuKage2007
Glad to see its matching the original so well :)

I just found a really good way to test the two while typing this though. If you happen to be using fceux then you can enable running in the background as well as input in the background (under the config menu) and then run it side by side with mine and be able to control both at same time, doing it that way I haven't noticed too much delay in the looking upwards animation. Also, not sure what the emulation rules as its never really come up before so I apologize in advance if I've broken any rules regarding it.

But I did notice a lot of other stuff like:
   -  Sophia building up speed and moving quicker in mine
   -  Jumping is slightly off, already knew about it but forgot to go back and fix it
   -  Bullets are a tiny bit slower in mine
   -  The view on mine should scroll a bit earlier than it does

If you notice anything else, please let me know :)
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2010, 06:47:47 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Glad to see its matching the original so well :)

I just found a really good way to test the two while typing this though. If you happen to be using fceux then you can enable running in the background as well as input in the background (under the config menu) and then run it side by side with mine and be able to control both at same time, doing it that way I haven't noticed too much delay in the looking upwards animation. Also, not sure what the emulation rules as its never really come up before so I apologize in advance if I've broken any rules regarding it.

But I did notice a lot of other stuff like:
   -  Sophia building up speed and moving quicker in mine
   -  Jumping is slightly off, already knew about it but forgot to go back and fix it
   -  Bullets are a tiny bit slower in mine
   -  The view on mine should scroll a bit earlier than it does

If you notice anything else, please let me know :)

XD yeah that's precisely what I was doing :P

Ryuza

That one guy
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2010, 06:57:26 am »
  • RyuKage2007
Ah, hmm, I didn't really notice a difference but I can change it pretty easily and see how it looks.

Did you notice anything else?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 04:29:13 pm by Ryuza »
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 73 queries.

anything