Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Project of the Month...or how about year?  (Read 3073 times)

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
Project of the Month...or how about year?
« on: December 16, 2009, 10:39:54 pm »
Im a bit concerned about it. We have had a project of the month for 2 months. Wanted to point that out.

Also, why not have a project of the year for the december version?
  • Phoenix Heart
Re: Project of the Month...or how about year?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 10:51:51 pm »
  • Minalien
If I'm not mistaken, the PotM is longer because there are fewer games actively being developed on ZFGC.

Also, PotY was tried at one point, I think. !@#$% that, nobody stays active enough with development to manage a YEAR :/
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 10:58:53 pm »
If I'm not mistaken, the PotM is longer because there are fewer games actively being developed on ZFGC.

Also, PotY was tried at one point, I think. fugg that, nobody stays active enough with development to manage a YEAR :/
My Chronicles of Orenna game is still in development and it's more than a year old. But in terms of zelda games I have to agree. I've managed 7 months with Chiming Bells! Yay for Chiming Bells!
  • Phoenix Heart

Ethelon

Awesome Resized Avys
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 11:02:22 pm »
Well I'm sure 4Swords just busy with stuff.  :-X

Xfixium: "Leader"/Lead Programmer/Lead Spriter,  Cypras: Programmer, Ethelon: Tiler/Spriter, Darklink45: Spriter, Noseblunt3: Spriter,
SinkinDevil: Spriter, Dotyue: Spriter, Tompel: Tiler/Spriter, 
Mamoruanime: Tiler, DJvenom: Spriter

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 11:04:54 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
I'm sure it just amounts to the fact that there's just nothing new that we can make PotM...

It's usually based on progress + interest + awesome things to show that have appeared in a months time, and typically there's like only one or two games that ever have any of those things at any given time :P...

That's why I pretty much suggest just changing it to "Staff Pick" or something along those lines (something that doesn't sound so crude). It makes it easier to just find a game that's interesting and add it, regardless of progress within a month.
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 11:07:20 pm »
  • Team Dekunutz
I agree with Mammy.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 11:10:42 pm »
That does sound alot better than project of the month.
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 11:13:35 pm »
From a nominations topic in the Staff Discussion area, in response to something Mamoruanime posted there:

For any given good month, there have been 2 or 3 projects somewhat worthy of nomination. Even during this bad month there was something which we could have gone with. A monthly timescale ensures that each project selected gets a fair amount of duration of coverage. The only real burden on staff with this is that no one else is doing work on this; and the work really is not that difficult.

About your idea, it would make it easier for the site staff, but likely at the cost of the article associated with an award; assuming it'd still have one with some substance. It'd lose a little bit of its chronological location in that looking at older previous award winner topics would have little context. Those who'd get selected would only get attention for as long as we didn't find another project to look at; and if we had some time-frame between selecting projects if the development on the forum was slow, it'd slowly grow to be where there'd be a month anyway between choosing projects.

If we had something which went with more than one projects, then that would divide the attention each would get amongst themselves - if this was negligible, it'd would lessen the true value of getting the award. I would like the idea that there could be more than one project selected at sooner intervals, as this would assist when we have times when there are many good projects which could be selected - to where not covering them is somewhat of a waste.

Kind of a nit-pick, but the name "Staff Picks" also seems a little bit cold. If there was going to be a high frequency of news items and site stuff based on that name it'd look like we were promoting our ability to choose rather than the projects themselves. I know that is not the intention and that it is true we nominate, but the focus is always the project with the idea that we nominate based somewhat on how users are liking projects on the forum. Even though it would appear somewhat subtle and superfluous, avoiding the appearance of an attitude with that would be for the best. Recommends "Project Spotlight" or "Project Roundup".

It'd be more productive to talk about reforms the Project of the Month system during times when it is not supposed to be producing something though; ergo, getting this done or deciding not to have it this month is what we should figure out now.

But really, the reason we didn't have a Project of the Month is because no one helps significantly enough to get it done - I end up having to do at least half or more of the interview by myself as well as setting up a template (when someone can't even set up a template, something that doesn't change, there is a problem with that). Changing the Project of the Month to something else isn't going to fix the overall issue of no one helping, and to suggest otherwise is misleading.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 11:17:47 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
I would assume a simple written suggestion for people to check it out would suffice. No real need for interviews or anything along those lines. (with so few projects anway, interviews seem arbitrary)
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 10:56:44 am »
The current Project of the Month article has one or two paragraphs dedicated to why the staff picked the project for the award. For every award winner these reasons are similar - updates during the month, attention towards the project, having a certain quality, or it just being evident that the project deserved it. If articles with just that information appeared frequently, it would be too obvious and trivial to even list the information. The purpose of having an interview is not only to give the site actual content, but to get new and helpful information from the developers working on the project.

I have stated that I am in support of having something to where there would be a news article series which would be more frequent. There are sometimes when only giving kudos to one project a month is wasteful when there could have been multiple projects which had some merit. I don't think however that the Project of the Month should be at all scrapped because it is something which is worth the effort of having it. In its ideal state when we have good months (read: just because this month isn't good doesn't mean all further months will be as bad), it represents an award for quality with quality. Having a coexisting lesser, more frequent news article series for projects would help address quantity and would help out.

But overall, and this is the real kicker, any ideas are worthless without people both willing and able to do them themselves or with help. The sad thing is that I know for a fact that if one person really tried they could do the Project of the Month as it exists now mostly by themselves; I've had to do this for most of them while busy with school, it isn't hard. I mean really, ten questions and filling in a template - easy as pie. Even if what you had was easy, chances are it'd still be a pain in the ass for others to help out with it.

Meh, and I remember when we had the Project of the Week and at that time you and others, myself included, thought that changing it to Project of the Month would be for the best - because at that time no one was having any updates. With what you're proposing now, the idea of the frequency for when it possibly arises can be a good thing, but if it got to be where someone would post an update and the staff would be like "woo look at what just came out, did you see it?", well they probably already would have and we'd just be wasting their time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 55 queries.

anything