Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Poll

What should be in the next build?

A functioning sample map
some new items
npc interaction and AI
basic physics demo
other (please specify)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: [DEMO]Sword of Divination(11/5/2010 Harvest Engine Functioning!)  (Read 73234 times)

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
Re: [DEMO]Sword of Divination(1/18/10 need some ...
« Reply #140 on: January 24, 2010, 10:29:35 am »
  • .越//
I ran past builds fine, however I could not run this build. I press enter at the title screen and it draws the screen and plays music. Right after that it crashes.

Windows XP SP3
1.5Gb RAM
Intel Core 2 Duo T5600
Nvidia GeForce Go 7400

sounds like what i've had in the build before the fix

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

Minish Cap Beta:Firerod Icon, Majoras Mask:ChuChu, Ocarina of Time:Gossip Stone, Oracle Series:Link plays the "Herpes of Ages", Impa, Wand Maker: HUD
~GB-Zelda Style~
Ocarina of Time: Deku Caca
~Other~
Paper Mario Style Zelda&Link, Tetra Trackers HUD-Cleanups

« Reply #141 on: January 24, 2010, 05:41:55 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Thanks for the feedback, it really helps hammering out these bugs.

I'm gonna add in that debug dump Niek mentioned, so just hang tight for a bit.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #142 on: January 24, 2010, 05:49:44 pm »
  • Minalien
You seem to be having a few difficulties, MGZ. :P

Have you switched over to using proper delta timing, vice your FPS capping? If not, that's probably the cause of the overly-high CPU usage.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #143 on: January 24, 2010, 07:40:44 pm »
That isn't my concern right now, first I want this thing stable.  I'll get to that when these memory issues are done =)

« Reply #144 on: January 24, 2010, 10:22:08 pm »
Okay, I was home a little sooner than I thought. And I tested the latest update.

Well it doesn't crash anymore, but I do get a lot of image tearing. When the screen scrolls I get some image tearing. I can't seem to capture it, because the lines appear and disappear really fast.

The boomerang is really faulty. When I keep the boomerang key pressed and the animation gets to the end, the animation repeats it self and resets the boomerang. Continuously. When throwing down the boomerang appears really far away from link and immediately returns.

Some additional C+C. Link seems to walk very slow. And for the view to scroll Link has to be very far to the side. You should keep the view centered on Link, unless you hit the boundary of the room.

The music also stopped after playing only once, it didn't loop. But I'm not sure if it was supposed to stop or loop.

PS: I saw you use fmodex.dll and ogg-vorbis dll's. I have been searching for a while to find an API for those libraries to properly use them and get the full potential out of them. Did you find them and where?
« Reply #145 on: January 24, 2010, 11:46:16 pm »
Well it doesn't crash anymore, but I do get a lot of image tearing. When the screen scrolls I get some image tearing. I can't seem to capture it, because the lines appear and disappear really fast.

Fraps it.  As for the dlls, do a google search, both are free to use.

« Reply #146 on: January 25, 2010, 04:08:34 pm »
I have googled, but for FMOD I can't really find a good documentation of the API. I mean something like this: http://java.sun.com/javase/7/docs/api/

ON-TOPIC:

I found a graphical error. I don't know if it is in the map design or that in the rendering something went wrong but see attachment
« Reply #147 on: January 25, 2010, 07:57:10 pm »
Mapping error :P  I have those tiles on a higher layer in the map file.  Nothing on a programming end, just on the map file itself.

Yea, there's no really good docs for fmod...what language are you using it with?

« Reply #148 on: January 25, 2010, 08:00:55 pm »
Mapping error :P  I have those tiles on a higher layer in the map file.  Nothing on a programming end, just on the map file itself.
I thought so.

Yea, there's no really good docs for fmod...what language are you using it with?
C++
« Reply #149 on: January 25, 2010, 08:31:25 pm »
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article2098.asp

See if that helps.  I could write up a basic tutorial for it as well..

Re: [DEMO]Sword of Divination(2/3/10 debug dump ...
« Reply #150 on: February 03, 2010, 08:48:24 pm »
Debug dump added as suggested by Niek..

« Reply #151 on: February 03, 2010, 10:42:18 pm »
Hmmm, very weird. I downloaded this thinking it would fail out and dump so much needed debug information. Instead it ran just fine. XD So, I decided to test the old 7.5 version out again, and it failed as usual. You had to of changed something in your new debug version to make it work.
  • Pyxosoft
« Reply #152 on: February 03, 2010, 11:14:28 pm »
O_o But...nothing was changed.  Wat.

« Reply #153 on: February 03, 2010, 11:24:58 pm »
On my laptop the same problem still occurs. It uses 100% system resources and no movement at all. It is as if it is in an infinte loop. It happens as soon as the game starts. The dbg is attached.
« Reply #154 on: February 04, 2010, 12:32:02 am »
O_o But...nothing was changed.  Wat.

lol That is very VERY odd. I have screen shots of both folders, the first is the new release. The second the previous release.
  • Pyxosoft
« Reply #155 on: February 04, 2010, 02:07:11 am »
On my laptop the same problem still occurs. It uses 100% system resources and no movement at all. It is as if it is in an infinte loop. It happens as soon as the game starts. The dbg is attached.

So what you're telling me is, it's not crashing, it's just hanging? 

Odd...well, it entered the main loop without a problem..so the problem is in there for you.

« Reply #156 on: February 04, 2010, 06:09:35 am »
Maybe it's video card related?  I know my video card usually tries to limit my fps to 60.  Do you have an code in there that delays the loops execution?
« Reply #157 on: February 04, 2010, 06:57:06 am »
  • Minalien
Keep in mind that it's going to use more CPU than necessary because he isn't doing delta timing, opting instead to sleep and cap the FPS <.<
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #158 on: February 04, 2010, 07:00:18 am »

So what you're telling me is, it's not crashing, it's just hanging? 

Odd...well, it entered the main loop without a problem..so the problem is in there for you.
Yes, it uses 100% CPU time, when I press the first key. The music keeps playing nice without hiccups. But the rendering/world doesn't get updated. It is like it gets stuck in a infinite loop inside the main game loop.

O_o But...nothing was changed.  Wat.

lol That is very VERY odd. I have screen shots of both folders, the first is the new release. The second the previous release.
Sometimes, by merely observing an error you alter/fix the error itself. If the problem is that some of the resources weren't properly initialized before. Now by adding the statements for the debug, you might have given enough time to let windows properly initialize everything. Although the game may not be multithreaded, windows is.
« Reply #159 on: February 04, 2010, 02:57:50 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Keep in mind that it's going to use more CPU than necessary because he isn't doing delta timing, opting instead to sleep and cap the FPS <.<

Well he's half-way there as I understand it...For each iteration you time how long it takes, calculate how much of the 1/xth of a second you have left, and release the CPU for that amount of time. And you also use Delta-timing in order to ensure objects move at the same rate even if the FPS drops below x updates per second.

At least that's how I do things. It means you're using exactly how much CPU you need to use, and if the person's still getting the entire CPU swallowed then you definitely have some performance issues to work out or they have a computer that just can't handle it.

You know, the need to release the cpu is really something books and online tutorials need to actually start mentioning -_- I barely ever see it mentioned except on forums when people are commenting on a person's program XD Kudos for, seemingly, actually doing it ^.^

Anyway, I ran the game with only minor 'flickering' graphical issues, that image 'tearing' you mentioned. It used like 2% of the CPU at most and I could close it fine ^^
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 03:10:26 pm by TheDarkJay »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 80 queries.