Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Themes after the forum upgrade  (Read 8314 times)

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
Themes after the forum upgrade
« on: July 08, 2008, 05:01:02 pm »
  • The Mike
Since most of these themes won't come back apparently once the forum is upgraded. I was thinking we could discuss some different theme ideas here for right now. I'm not sure if these themes will be here after the upgrade but anyway, why not discuss?

I'm thinking that the default theme right now and the Royal Green/Blue should still be around. So, there should also be better adaptations of the default theme using a blue and red style. They could be called ZFGC Kokiri, ZFGC Goron, and ZFGC Zora. We could come up with better names though. There should also be a Royal Red theme to go with the Royal Green and Royal Blue. Right now, there'd be 6 themes.

There should definitely be a new default theme. Something new and unexpected and would completely surprise us members when we see it. I dunno what it would look like but it would look really cool.

Anyway, you can discuss ideas if you're really that interested. I thought it would be cool is all. Some of the themes need work, some shouldn't even be on here, and some could possibly need some tuning up, I dunno.

• Zelda Eternity
Re: Themes after the forum upgrade
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 05:04:50 pm »
Some of the themes need work, some shouldn't even be on here, and some could possibly need some tuning up, I dunno.
Dam right they do :P. I actually want to drop support for most of them as few people use the extra ones and its just a hastle to maintain some of them.

Anyway it depends on what the admins agree with when it comes to upgrading, I can't really give you a definitive answers of wether the themes will stay or not until after the admins have agree on certain things regarding the upgrade.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 05:09:08 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Indeed, theres a lot of stuff that is still in discussion about themes and the upgrade...

I personally would like to drop all of the themes and go with something universal due to the lack of maintenance on the amount of themes we do have (why was that a mouthful >_< I should learn to word things better); things that we can simply swap images/css on instead of installing new themes

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 05:13:17 pm »
  • The Mike
There are 3 themes in particular that question me. The ZFGC Goron and ZFGC Zora Blue edits by MiNalien. These 2 themes shouldn't be on here but if there were better versions of these 2 themes, then I'm sure they'd be fine. The other ZFGC Kokiri theme (the one at the bottom of the list) should even be here in my opinion. It's just a weird default and Royal Green mix.

Indeed, theres a lot of stuff that is still in discussion about themes and the upgrade...

I personally would like to drop all of the themes and go with something universal due to the lack of maintenance on the amount of themes we do have (why was that a mouthful >_< I should learn to word things better); things that we can simply swap images/css on instead of installing new themes
That's what I mean with the 6 themes I was talking about in my first post. An image/css swap would be perfect. I know some Zelda sites did something like that before but I'm not sure how it would work with SMF though.

EDIT: Basically there could be 3 little coloured images or possibly 3 Link's wearing a green, red, and blue tunics. Click one and it changes to that colour.

• Zelda Eternity

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 05:17:27 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.

That's what I mean with the 6 themes I was talking about in my first post. An image/css swap would be perfect. I know some Zelda sites did something like that before but I'm not sure how it would work with SMF though.

EDIT: Basically there could be 3 little coloured images or possibly 3 Link's wearing a green, red, and blue tunics. Click one and it changes to that colour.

Yeah, thats the idea basically :P I think with 2.0's custom profile fields we can make it changeable in there (mebbe; depends on how all of that works, should be a simple sql query though)

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 05:19:38 pm »
  • The Mike

Yeah, thats the idea basically :P I think with 2.0's custom profile fields we can make it changeable in there (mebbe; depends on how all of that works, should be a simple sql query though)
I hope it can be done though, it would look really nice. So did you like my idea of a totally new theme for the upgrade? I think something fresh would be nice.

• Zelda Eternity

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 05:20:07 pm »
  • Things to see and people to do.
I'd much rather see something entirely new and unexpected. I'd also prefer it if this entirely new and unexpected theme were the only one available. I dunno, that's just me. Personally, I never saw the appeal of the Kokiri, Goron, and Zora themes as they've all been ugly to me. As for the Royal Themes, they're nice, but they just don't fit. This leaves the Midnight theme. Personally, I'd like it to stay for nostalgic reasons, but neh.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

Hear the haunting words (They'll find you alone)
lost children with no heart are crying (Turning their hearts into stone)
and you're the lost mother they're calling
Go now, run and hide (seek more than vengeance)
I hear them crying at night (your pain is their satisfaction)
outside when the planets are falling (for the rest of time)
They want to feel and know you hear them (Go now, run and hide)

• http://giantcock.netne.net/

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 05:27:02 pm »
  • The Mike
I think at least one or two classic themes should come back but with maybe some graphical improvements.

• Zelda Eternity
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 05:29:37 pm »
  • Super Hero Time!
I'd much rather see something entirely new and unexpected. I'd also prefer it if this entirely new and unexpected theme were the only one available. I dunno, that's just me. Personally, I never saw the appeal of the Kokiri, Goron, and Zora themes as they've all been ugly to me. As for the Royal Themes, they're nice, but they just don't fit. This leaves the Midnight theme. Personally, I'd like it to stay for nostalgic reasons, but neh.

Pretty much this. Though I really prefered the Zora over the Kokiri.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 05:32:39 pm »
  • The Mike
Pretty much this. Though I really prefered the Zora over the Kokiri.
I liked the Zora Theme that came before the current one. It was a nice blue and I remember making the banner for it. I miss that one.

• Zelda Eternity
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 05:35:48 pm »
I don't know how hard we want to work on themes after the switch to 2.0. If we make the jump to beta 4 (from 1.1.5) we need to be very careful in how we do themes, this will be the new template/theme system (aside from the new default SMF theme being there), which means between beta 4 and 5 and etc, there will be many theme changes, with that in mind, do we really want to redo themes everytime we make a beta upgrade (if we upgrade at all). I'd rather keep things default myself -- perhaps do some simple CSS editing to spiff it up, toss in a few logos and maybe some new buttons, but putting a lot of effort into it might be a bad idea right now.

NOW,

Designing a mock up for a new theme wont be a bad idea.. if anyone is interested in that.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 05:39:19 pm »
  • The Mike
I could do that. I was thinking of either an eerie dark theme or some sort of green theme. I dunno, I'll toy around with some ideas and I'll post them here.

• Zelda Eternity

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 06:07:24 pm »
I don't know how hard we want to work on themes after the switch to 2.0. If we make the jump to beta 4 (from 1.1.5) we need to be very careful in how we do themes, this will be the new template/theme system (aside from the new default SMF theme being there), which means between beta 4 and 5 and etc, there will be many theme changes, with that in mind, do we really want to redo themes everytime we make a beta upgrade (if we upgrade at all). I'd rather keep things default myself -- perhaps do some simple CSS editing to spiff it up, toss in a few logos and maybe some new buttons, but putting a lot of effort into it might be a bad idea right now.

NOW,

Designing a mock up for a new theme wont be a bad idea.. if anyone is interested in that.

You've tempted me.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 08:17:08 pm »
  • The Mike
I kind of threw this together quickly. It's not the greatest thing. It starts from the banner to the Home, Help, Search, etc. list.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/conkerslandx/zfgc/zfgc-theme-example.png

• Zelda Eternity
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 08:28:49 pm »
  • Super Hero Time!
I kind of threw this together quickly. It's not the greatest thing. It starts from the banner to the Home, Help, Search, etc. list.

Wow that's actually not bad, I kinda like that.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 08:32:07 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君

That's hawt! I lurve the tree stump image. =3  (Don't tell Mammy it's from Majora's Mask or he won't like it! Oops, I just blew it...)
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 08:35:18 pm »
It looks alright, just compared to what I am used to, it feels a little overstimulating.  It clumps in the corner a bit. 

Also, I am working on a theme idea, well I will put it forward by tonight probably.  It is pretty good.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 08:53:21 pm by 4Sword »

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 09:22:00 pm »
Alright, I took a crack at it. First off, though, I'm completely unfamiliar with SMF's inner workings, so I'm not even sure if this is possible or not. (Granted, I've seen even more intricate and elaborate designs on other SMF boards, so maybe...) Also, I haven't decided on a logo yet, so there isn't one on this particular image. And yes, I am aware of the wonked out navigation bar.

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/3041/zfgcmk5.png

(!@#$%)

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 10:52:03 pm »
I am aware of it resizing, but you should be able to tell what it is without it being full size and I do have the original saved on my laptop.  I was going for something different, and this is by no means finished and/or perfected (the clouds are stupid):

The tabs are ripped from the menu of Minish Cap, but if blue is your thing, they could be replaced with the blue tabs from the Four Swords menu.  The banner is from the Four Sword menu, the banner text is edited from the Minish Cap title screen, the clouds are from the Mount Veil background, the dark blue is from the Minish Cap Menu Engine, etc.  I took out the fake luster effect with the banner because stretching it would look weird.

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 12:21:09 am »
  • The Mike
Sourcesan: That's pretty awesome. I actually didn't think of something that good to try out.

4Sword: I really like this idea. The banner part really looks nice in my opinion with the sky, it looks nice. The dark blue there kinda looks out of place in my opinion. Those tabs underneath aren't that bad. The different colour styles make it look nice and fit the banner well. I'm not sure about the background though. I know you probably used the default theme background as a placeholder or something but it just doesn't seem to fit for me. Maybe a blue background would work better, I'm not sure. Other than that, it looks fine to me.

• Zelda Eternity
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.265 seconds with 77 queries.