Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: [Trailer] Kirby's Rebound - New Screenshot, Demo 1 Released!  (Read 9417 times)

Re: Kirby's Rebound - DEMO 1 RELEASED! (Move to ...
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2007, 02:39:31 am »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
woot! this game is so awesome!  ok, i hope you have awesome music for it.

now let's dance
Re: Kirby's Rebound - DEMO 1 RELEASED!
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2007, 01:54:22 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
Well, I had an idea that the backgrounds for the levels could be in vector and the foreground in sprites. It turned out pretty good, right? Also, the bricks' 3D perspective couldn't work because, while the bricks stacked like magic, they didn't line up side to side without leaving big gaps. So I made their perspective more like ALTTP's, where it doesn't skew as it goes back. Then there's Padpon. I could stand to make him the same as the bricks so as to not confuse folks. And the bricks could get their color shifted so they're not the same as Kirby. And the spikes could get their shading to be the same as the bricks. Not so sure about the walls though, but just that much should make the style seem much more universal, right? ;) Anyways, it's just a first demo, so try and enjoy it for its gameplay for now, and graphics I'll work on later. Thanks for the feedback!
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2007, 03:13:34 pm »
Why does your game corrupt?
Because it's on a mac ^__^
ANYWAYS, AWESOME GAME :D
What frightend me was how kirby kinda moves not frame-by-frame, and he started going fast and I got scared. :P
The sound effects were cool, I liked them. And I liked the overal layout of the room, and the music. Hope this keeps chugging along. ;)
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2007, 03:17:23 pm »
  • [sic]
Well, I had an idea that the backgrounds for the levels could be in vector and the foreground in sprites. It turned out pretty good, right? Also, the bricks' 3D perspective couldn't work because, while the bricks stacked like magic, they didn't line up side to side without leaving big gaps. So I made their perspective more like ALTTP's, where it doesn't skew as it goes back. Then there's Padpon. I could stand to make him the same as the bricks so as to not confuse folks. And the bricks could get their color shifted so they're not the same as Kirby. And the spikes could get their shading to be the same as the bricks. Not so sure about the walls though, but just that much should make the style seem much more universal, right? ;) Anyways, it's just a first demo, so try and enjoy it for its gameplay for now, and graphics I'll work on later. Thanks for the feedback!

With the brick issue, You could simply give the sprite three subimages - the center brick and two side bricks, then have some code that changes the brick sprites depending on where they're positioned relative to each other and what their depth is.

For example, these'd be the brick sprites:

And this is how they'd look together:

Or, if you really wanted to make it look nifty, you could make the bricks get darker the further away they were from the center, to look like this:

Go ahead and use my alternate bricks if you like the idea. Don't bother with credit or anything.
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2007, 03:27:09 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
Actually, it's because I had an MP3 file in it which was over 1 MB in size. :P Anyways, thank you for the feedback! The sound effects are all homemade with my Mac's internal mic.

Hit Brick - My voice saying Ping sped up
Hit Wall - My voice saying Ping sped up less
Hit spikes - My bro. saying squeak sped up
Hit Faded Brick - Flipping a quarter

:P It was fun to make those. I also have a menu selecting sound effect (not in demo) which was my bro saying bing sped up a ton.

As for Kame, I think it'd be better off if I just made everything have a falling straight back perspective. That looks a little odd and unstructured for some reason, and of course there'd be falling bricks that I'd have to change too, and make Padpon change when he moved around. It'd just be too confusing. :P So there'll be some perspective and shading fixups in the next version (once I get em done I'll post a screeny). Hope you all keep enjoying this while I work. ;)
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2007, 03:49:03 pm »
  • [sic]
Actually, it's because I had an MP3 file in it which was over 1 MB in size. :P Anyways, thank you for the feedback! The sound effects are all homemade with my Mac's internal mic.

Hit Brick - My voice saying Ping sped up
Hit Wall - My voice saying Ping sped up less
Hit spikes - My bro. saying squeak sped up
Hit Faded Brick - Flipping a quarter

:P It was fun to make those. I also have a menu selecting sound effect (not in demo) which was my bro saying bing sped up a ton.

As for Kame, I think it'd be better off if I just made everything have a falling straight back perspective. That looks a little odd and unstructured for some reason, and of course there'd be falling bricks that I'd have to change too, and make Padpon change when he moved around. It'd just be too confusing. :P So there'll be some perspective and shading fixups in the next version (once I get em done I'll post a screeny). Hope you all keep enjoying this while I work. ;)
Oh, well. I'm quite a perfectionist so I prefer to take longer to make a game and have code complications if it means that everything loks and plays nicer. But, maybe that's not your thing. :)
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2007, 03:56:51 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
Well, I think it plays just fine, but it's simpler to unify the perspective by just making Padpon square. :P
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2007, 04:07:18 pm »
  • [sic]
Well, I think it plays just fine, but it's simpler to unify the perspective by just making Padpon square. :P
Yes, but what I meant is that it just doesn't look as spiffy, and that's presentation.. which is what I am perfectionist about. :)
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2007, 04:09:26 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
I think it'll look pretty good, just let me try it out (you're right, I'm not quite a perfectionist like you, but I will make universal perspective and universal shading).
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2007, 04:18:23 pm »
  • [sic]
I think it'll look pretty good, just let me try it out (you're right, I'm not quite a perfectionist like you, but I will make universal perspective and universal shading).
Yup, and pretty good is still good. ^_^
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2007, 04:43:45 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
I've fixed the spikes to fit the shading better. ;) Looks worlds better. Now I'm off to fix the walls. Screenshot soon!
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2007, 09:10:58 pm »
 :o tis fun ;D anyone wanna compare hi scores?
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2007, 09:56:31 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
New Screenshot! This shows the accumulations of my efforts since Demo 1. Now every tile is shaded the same way the bricks are, shield is in place (as you can see by the blue glow around Kirby), Padpon's perspective fits the bricks', and the sheild puts out little "-2pt" things that work similar to the "1pt" things from demo 1, except they subtract two points every three frames as a shield penelty. :D

« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 10:07:33 pm by Moldorma »
  • Lionfish Apps
Re: Kirby's Rebound - New Screenshot, Demo 1 Rel...
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2007, 10:23:34 pm »
  • [sic]
Ah, lovely. Looks loads better Moldy. The walls could still stand some definite improvement, though.
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2007, 11:00:07 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
So, what should I do to them now? I already changed them loads. :P
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2007, 01:09:35 am »
  • [sic]
So, what should I do to them now? I already changed them loads. :P
I know.. I'd actually remove the litte wood groove lines and maybe just add a little dither somewhere.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 02:42:44 am by Kame »
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2007, 01:15:16 am »
  • Lionfish App dev
Ah. Lesse here... nope, nope no. Removing the wood grains makes it look like jaggedy brown plastic. :P
* Moldorma puts wood grains back

Anyways here... try dither laterish. K?
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2007, 12:00:14 pm »
Maybe add some green into there, for vines and such. I could see that looking good, though it may be difficult.
Anyway, the demo is great, though if Kirby falls outside the screen (under the walls) he's lost forever.

EDIT: 432 points. Damn, this is addictive. Just a suggestion though: When Kirby moves past a certain speed, a 'trail' effect should follow him. Maybe just the Kirby sprite made transparent some.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 12:05:07 pm by Sir Cyrus »
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2007, 03:51:27 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
That vines thing is a good idea. I will try it posthaste. And furthermore I've never gotton Kirby to go under the walls. :P I guess it could benefit from some invisi-barriers there..? And I'm not sure how to do a trail effect, but I'll look into it.
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2007, 09:37:24 pm »
Well I'd do it the lazy way. Get the Kirby sprite, apply the GM fade effect to it, make an object called 'objTrail', give it the sprite, make it destroy itself on Animation End and make Kirby produce one every x seconds if his speed is above a certain number. Wouldn't be too hard, and I think it'd be a nice touch :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 74 queries.

anything