Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Resident Evil 5 is made for a racist?  (Read 13471 times)

Re: Resident Evil 5 is made for a racist?
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 02:25:22 am »
  • :D
When you play a game like RE5- you don't see race, you see a bunch of freaks trying to kill you. If a Chinese guy jumped out of nowhere with his jaw all !@#$% up like theirs, trying to rip your face off, you wouldn't really stop to consider his skin colour, since he's not a person anyway. He's not even real.
Uh... I don't.  When I see the RE5 trailer, I see a white guy killing a !@#$%-ton of black people.  What does that mean? 

<_< It means you look for that sort of thing when you view trailers. That right there is exactly the point TRM and myself have made o.o The developers didn't intend for it to be racist, but people who look at it and nitpick based on the color of peoples skin turn it into some zealous racism war o.o
So you are arguing that I'm perpetuating racism?  Or that I am a racist?

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 02:30:13 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Not that you are a racist, but that people who view things like that and make an assumption that it IS racist based on the color of the protagonist and the antagonist's skin. (funny thing is, the antagonist isn't even the locals, it's a parasite)

You yourself said that you do not feel RE5 is racist; so I'm not saying YOU are perpetuating it, I'm saying people who see trailers and make a big deal of that stuff based on the color of the characters skins are racist. They may be complaining about the racism, but they're being counterproductive.
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 02:33:40 am »
Alright.  My point is, there is a middle ground.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with noticing race-- if you are pretending race and/or racism doesn't exist, you aren't helping a problem, you are ignoring it.  There IS racism, and there ARE racial tensions in the world, and personally I feel that we should be concious and aware of it.  However, jumping to conclusions doesn't help anything either.  There are people who did assume that this game was racist, and I don't think it is-- but I can see why somebody who wasn't properly informed might see the game as racist.

(and thats all the posting I can do for now, gonna to take a shower lol)

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 02:35:23 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Ah well that makes sense :P

(I'm not being sarcastic >_<)
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2008, 02:54:50 am »
Back from my shower, I was just thinking about it, so I might as well post it:

Many white people often like to say that they "look at everybody equally" or that "everyone is a person, that's all I see!", or that "Black and white people are the same, we're all people!", but I would disagree.  You can't ignore race because race is there, and there ARE differences between white and black people.  We aren't all equal people.  Black people are more likely to be born into poverty.  The national salary of black people is lower than white people.  Race is there, and it's an issue, and there are differences based on race.  Just because you look at people the same does not mean that they are the same.  White people and black people are born into different circumstances, and on the whole, it is worse for black people.  //endrant  (by the way I was speaking about the United States)
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2008, 12:39:58 pm »
  • ZFGC Founder
This has turned into a debate about racism in America now, and not about Racism in a VIDEO GAME...

I think we are ALL a little racist for some stupid reason... but YES blacks get away with it a lot more than whites... take comedy for example, if you took what a black comedian said and replace him with a white guy, we'd have a race WAR on our hands.

Why are comedians like Carlos Mencia so popular, because he places race as the central part of his comedy and brings out in the open what most people think to show them how ridiculous stereotypes are.

Sorry, racism will ALWAYS exists... it's not ever going to go away, people will fight over the stupidest things and it doesn't help that we have TRAILER-TRASH, HILLBILLY, REDNECK, KKK, MORONS in the United States that make it bad for any civilized NORMAL white person (like myself).
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2008, 12:54:47 pm »
I don't understand how a game set in Africa is considered racist when you have to shoot blacks... I think it would be a bit racist to never go to Africa because you are afraid to have to shoot a black or replace all the blacks with whites. I think it'll be interesting to play a game set in Africa, simply because it's almost never done... at least in the games I play. No, the enemy is always Russia in my games... that and enemies who take the arms of a deceased brother in which the arm takes control of said person....(MGS4 tonight when I get home from work!)

But yeah, I don't here anyone saying... Leave dem Russians alone! Or... poor Hitler... always getting his ass kicked in a virtual world. RE5 would be racists only if they embraced and over used stereotypes of a culture... an African village is hardly a stereotype, it's a fact. And as far as shooting black people... I don't care if you're Black, White, Hispanic, Asian, or Green... you have that !@#$% growing' out your head or come at me zombiefied... its on.
Intel P4 3.2 GHZ
2.5GB SDRAM DDR400
350GB SATA
ATI RADEON HD 2600PRO 512MB
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 Z
Windows XP SP2

Current Projects: None.
- Trask
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2008, 07:49:59 pm »
  • ZFGC Founder
As the old saying goes (for video games)... kill em' all, let God sort em' out!

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008, 04:19:59 am »
  • Things to see and people to do.
Uh... I don't.  When I see the RE5 trailer, I see a white guy killing a !@#$%-ton of black people.  What does that mean?

It means that you're trying too hard to find something controversial, and think that you've stumbled on to something because a polygon model with a white skin texture is firing imaginary rounds at another polygon model with a black skin texture. There is no controversy to be found, you're just getting bent out of shape over trivial !@#$% that carries no weight in the real world.

As the old saying goes (for video games)... kill em' all, let God sort em' out!

I thought that was a military phrase from way back when...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 04:21:39 am by Sourcesan »
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

Hear the haunting words (They'll find you alone)
lost children with no heart are crying (Turning their hearts into stone)
and you're the lost mother they're calling
Go now, run and hide (seek more than vengeance)
I hear them crying at night (your pain is their satisfaction)
outside when the planets are falling (for the rest of time)
They want to feel and know you hear them (Go now, run and hide)

• http://giantcock.netne.net/

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2008, 02:53:33 pm »
  • b e p i s

It means that you're trying too hard to find something controversial, and think that you've stumbled on to something because a polygon model with a white skin texture is firing imaginary rounds at another polygon model with a black skin texture. There is no controversy to be found, you're just getting bent out of shape over trivial !@#$% that carries no weight in the real world.

You know, you're totally missing the point here. Limey doesn't think the game is racist, and if you would have read more carefully you would have seen that. Look, RE5 is not racist, I think anyone who knows anything about the series or its developerrs can agree on that. The point is, it can be easily seen as racist by someone who is not familiar with the series. Does that mean it should change? Hell no. But when you see a white guy shooting hordes of black people with almost no context, then it's not wrong to expect something.

Even if it's obviously wrong, try to see things from the viewpoint of other people.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 02:56:58 pm by Knivu »
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2008, 03:13:01 pm »
  • Things to see and people to do.
But when you see a white guy shooting hordes of black people with almost no context, then it's not wrong to expect something.

They're trying to kill him. That's reason enough to shoot anybody.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

Hear the haunting words (They'll find you alone)
lost children with no heart are crying (Turning their hearts into stone)
and you're the lost mother they're calling
Go now, run and hide (seek more than vengeance)
I hear them crying at night (your pain is their satisfaction)
outside when the planets are falling (for the rest of time)
They want to feel and know you hear them (Go now, run and hide)

• http://giantcock.netne.net/

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2008, 03:33:15 pm »
  • b e p i s
But when you see a white guy shooting hordes of black people with almost no context, then it's not wrong to expect something.

Yeah, and from the offended's point of view, there is an explanation for why they're doing it: because the game would supposedly portray them as savage, uncivilized creatures rather than human beings.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2008, 11:07:23 pm »

Yeah, and from the offended's point of view, there is an explanation for why they're doing it: because the game would supposedly portray them as savage, uncivilized creatures rather than human beings.
Things like that make me wonder if those people would survive the zombie apocalypse. Though, really, the whole thing about the trailer and the game is that it is meant for people who have played the others, and know that those aren't people you're shooting, but instead they are zombies. However, someone who has never played these games could easily see it as racist, especially with no background information on the games.
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2008, 06:58:32 am »

I'm saying that I see white and black.  Not that I see any problem there-- you're the one who (obviously ignored the rest of my post otherwise you would know this) assumes that I see a problem or see racism there.  I see RACE, that doesn't mean I see racism. 

Knivu got it right, I'm trying to say why it would be easy for a non RE-gamer to see racism here: Any idiot can see the race, and an RE-uninformed person would assume that race meant racism. 

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2008, 07:19:35 am »
  • Silly cat!
I think Resident Evil 5 is a bit racist. On the surface, anyway. I mean, think about it. You're a black guy with guns shooting hordes of black people without guns. If you don't call that racist, you're really just be a bit too patriotic in terms of the gaming community. Which is nice of you, don't think for a second that it isn't.

But, I guess people need to look into it before they criticise. These are zombies, not people. It's an action game, not a recount or some other deranged dream of a psychopath bent on ridding the world of black people.

I think anyone who criticises RE5 for being racist isn't wrong for the most part, but needs to really think of the harm of what such a game will do, or how much it will offend. Which isn't much at all, because the intention behind shooting the black guys isn't because they're black. It's because they're trying to kill you.

Hoffy.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2008, 05:19:49 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
ugh but theres a HUGE difference between being blatantly racist and having your antagonists be a specific color. People need to look past the color of peoples skin and look at the intent behind it; and the intent is not to defame an entire race.

Look; heres an example.

^Not racist.

If you want that to be racist, see attachments.

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2008, 05:28:52 am »
It's funny how you're all ignoring that there are white enemies in the game.

Like Wesker for instance, a white guy who's highly intelligent, owns a multibillion dollar corporation, has superpowers, and doesn't die.

alongside the blacks which happen to be poverty stricken unintelligent zombies in this game, carrying torches and pitchforks.

no negative stereotypes.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2008, 05:34:28 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
It's funny how you're all ignoring that there are white enemies in the game.

Like Wesker for instance, a white guy who's highly intelligent, owns a multibillion dollar corporation, has superpowers, and doesn't die.

alongside the blacks which happen to be poverty stricken unintelligent zombies in this game, carrying torches and pitchforks.

no negative stereotypes.

Hmm yes, someone who's played a role in umbrella and the t-virus and stuff cant have a strain that makes him more intelligent, so it makes it racist when HE has abilities from his self-induced mutations and the unsuspecting villagers have a crappy strain of virus/parasite/whatever. Zombies in RE1 were retarded and mindless too, but guess what; most of them were white! :p

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2008, 03:33:51 pm »
I find it very amusing that people are crying racist about a game set in Africa.
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2008, 05:33:32 am »
Maybe it's because the "shooter" character of the game is of the opposite race of those being shot? None of the previous RE games had a black man shooting white people.

I think any racism accusations are retarded myself, but I think this may be the reason for it.

EDIT:

Also, think if you were in this scenario:

10-15 zombie individuals are approaching you. Each of them is wielding a shovel, axe or another such blunt weapon aimed at your demise. Each of them happens to be black. Just before the first few reach a few feet of nearby distance to you, you drop your guns and proudly say, "I'm sorry. I can't defend myself: that would be racist."

o.O
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 05:35:50 am by CelestialEsper »
ZFGC Veteran since 2004
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 73 queries.