Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Darkfall: The Next Great MMO?  (Read 1374 times)

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
Darkfall: The Next Great MMO?
« on: June 13, 2008, 03:28:41 am »
  • b e p i s
I saw this game while crusing Wikipedia the other night, and IT LOOKS INCREDIBLE. Like, I think this has the potential to be one of the greatest games ever made.

Darkfall is expected to have several features that set it apart from the majority of MMORPGs:

* Unrestricted PvP, with no safe zones, only protection by NPC guards in racially controlled cities. Indiscriminate player killing results in changes in alignment (see alignment section below), which in turn has severe in-game consequences [4].
    * A character advancement system devoid of player levels and classes. The majority of player capabilities are determined by the possession of skills, which improve in response to in-game use. For example, all weapon proficiencies, the ability to swim, cast spells, ride mounts, and climb various obstacles are all skills that can be learned and improved through in-game use.
    * A real-time combat system that includes FPS-style manual aiming & blocking.[5] Ranged combat will be viewed from first person perspective. Melee combat will be viewed from third person perspective. There will also be no 'player radar' or floating names with which to identify players or NPCs [6]. Furthermore, friendly fire is always in effect, so missed melee attacks, misfired arrows, as well as area of effect offensive and healing spells affect both friends and enemies.[7]
    * Complete looting. All of a player's items become world lootable on death (see looting section below), and virtually all props and items in the game will be player-craftable.[8]
    * Cities that can be built, sieged, captured and destroyed by players [9].
    * Naval warfare, with the ability to create, board, capture and sink player controlled ships [10].
    * Real-world physics, including inter-character and projectile-character collision detection. Projectiles (spells, arrows, cannonballs etc.) can be evaded or blocked in real time. Players can be pushed or blocked by other players, NPCs and/or explosions [11].
    * Dynamic, physical weather, including variable, directional winds. For example, foggy or rainy weather can severely limit sight range and high winds greatly influence tidal wave amplitude and ship movement. Day and night cycles are based on a realistic planetary system of 2 orbiting moons.
    * Enhanced monster behaviour and AI. Monsters do not simply stand and swing at players until dead; they may employ sophisticated combat tactics based on their capabilities, social behaviour, and intelligence level. For example, intelligent monsters will preferentially target healers, casters, and/or weakened players. Monsters do not have fixed spawn locations or sizes - monsters form their own communities, may construct buildings and/or may relocate to new areas in response to being hunted by players. Monsters may also fight other monsters in their region.
    * A zoneless game world capable of supporting over 10,000 concurrent players per game instance.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkfall

The things that really get my blood pumping are the little ones: how weather influences the tides, a TRUE real-time combat system, advanced collision detection (heavily armored tank holding a checkpoint singlehandedly? YES!), natural monster ecosystems...the details are what will truly set this game apart.

There's also another incredibly cool feature: real stealth. No magic spell that turns you invisible: you have to make use of shadows, natural camoflauge, and actual SKILL to play stealthy. Metal armor also reflects light, which means people can see you when stealthing.

Opinions? I think it could be the best game ever...but something tells me it won't be.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
Re: Darkfall: The Next Great MMO?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 12:28:25 pm »
  • =/
 Sounds like it could be pretty amazing... but uh, I don't think many others or I have the specs to play something like that, both on the computer side and internet. It definetly doesn't sound like it is a streamlined multiplayer game as everything in the world can be affected or changed... oh well, looks cool anyways.
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 12:35:42 pm »
  • (b'-')b Jesus Guitar d('-'d)
Sounds like they finally turned Morrowind/Oblivion into an MMO.
T H I R T Y - T H R E E   T H R E E

Blog | Myspace | Facebook | Clan LmS

Dantztron 3030

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 11:21:19 pm »
  • b e p i s
Sounds like they finally turned Morrowind/Oblivion into an MMO.

Even Morrowind didn't have detail like this, dude.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 11:48:10 pm »
I would play it... but I !@#$% HATE the item loss. I would probably stop playing if I died. XD
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 01:32:59 am »
reminds me alot to Fable, most of those appear in fable somehow, but still this look increadible! I would really love to play this.

EDIT; the map looks like a exact copy of tibia.
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 10:57:11 am »
Brown. How interesting. :/ I'm not a fan of the graphical style or the item loss thing, but it still sounds good. Might give it a shot when it comes out.
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 09:04:19 pm »
  • You're the yellow bird that I've been waiting for.
Looks pretty amazing :] Any word on subscription fees yet? That will be the determining factor on getting this for me :/
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 09:14:01 pm »
  • Super Hero Time!
I think the greatest MMO would be a mix of Fable and Elderscrolls: Morrow/Oblivion .
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.

Dantztron 3030

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 10:04:40 pm »
  • b e p i s
Looks pretty amazing :] Any word on subscription fees yet? That will be the determining factor on getting this for me :/

I'm sure it will be the usual $14.99.

Brown. How interesting. :/ I'm not a fan of the graphical style or the item loss thing, but it still sounds good. Might give it a shot when it comes out.

Yeah, definitely not a fan of the graphical style...but you give and you take, ya know? :P
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 10:45:42 pm »
  • (b'-')b Jesus Guitar d('-'d)
I think the greatest MMO would be a mix of Fable and Elderscrolls: Morrow/Oblivion .
If that ever happened, that would be the day I die a happy man.
T H I R T Y - T H R E E   T H R E E

Blog | Myspace | Facebook | Clan LmS
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 11:31:11 am »
If that ever happened, that would be the day I die a happy man.

Well if you died the same day, you wouldn't be able to play the game, and thus you wouldn't die happy at all. :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 59 queries.