Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Poll

What kind of project do you want to see as the next CP?

Tandem "GM Universal Zelda Engine" development and a game that uses it.
- 9 (23.1%)
Some form of an online zelda game.
- 4 (10.3%)
Ressurection of OOT2D or a similar 2D conversion.
- 6 (15.4%)
Recreation of a previous game? LTTP? OOS? OOA?
- 7 (17.9%)
Development of a zelda project / engine in an "advanced" language (C#, C++, etc) for teaching.
- 4 (10.3%)
Generic zelda game with a unique storyline.
- 9 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: March 18, 2009, 09:35:37 pm

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Community Project Redesign  (Read 20151 times)

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
Re: Community Project Redesign
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2009, 03:14:44 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Yeah but then the problem there is who would make it?  It's definitely too much work for a single person so that should be tossed out the window straight away.  If you can find a group of people who can competently code, are willing, and can all work in the same language then I'd say go for it but the odds of that are slim to none.

Yeah, that's the downfall :( especially here :(
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2009, 03:40:18 am »
I do not really think that the combining of code is going to present as much of an issue as some of you are making it out to be. The engine is not going to be a clumping hodgepodge amalgamation of many other engines. The hardest part about the combinations is that compared to something like C++ you can't just add files to the project.

I do not know the full details now, I would have to figure it out as I go. There could probably be a "release" file which has what is considered stable for the time being. There would be a topic about Link and his abilities/reactions. This would get edited the most as Link has the most abilities in the whole game. As for adding monsters, there would be something that all monsters have in common - life, what to do if that life is over, handling collision events with Link's weapon, what to do if it collides with Link, etc. Once there is a default monster "class" all future monsters can derive from that class - this allows them to define all their own unique stuff but saves on coding.

To add a monster to the engine, one would modify the last stable release file so that it fit with the monster base object and so that they could test it with the Link object. Once they thought they had something usable, they would delete anything that was in their copy of the stable release and then submit it as a GMK file. Others could add it in to their projects and test it out and possibly work on it.

If that is too complicated people can just submit their GMK files which would not involve getting rid of all that was not in the base. If others like it and they can get it compliant, it can be coded into the standard release.

But really, you guys are missing the point. A community project is something that anyone can help out on and you are rushing to put it in C++ or something else which immediately limits it. MG-Zero, Minalien isn't here and Mamoruanime isn't going to be here as much. Infini also works on other things. You don't have enough support to handle it in C++ even if you wanted to.

Game Maker works, most people know it, there exists a wealth of knowledge on the forum so it is not like there is something that is going to completely stump anyone, etc. Of course it is too much work for one person, but there isn't going to be one person - it's open source. It is the best choice.
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2009, 05:46:36 am »
If a basic engine in gamemaker is made, it could load everything from external files. That way people could make 'modules' with code files, graphics etc that could just be added to a load order file, which could also be set to add to/overwrite any existing code/graphics/sounds etc in the game. That way people can add new code to the basic engine without actually modifying the basic engine. Obviously the downfalls of this is even the stupidest people could edit any of the resources without decompiling the game.
If I can remember what I'm doing with external files I might knock up an example of what I mean.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2009, 07:43:41 am »
  • :3
If the game will be 3d I would say use C++ if the game will be 2D game maker will be a good option
and I think a MM remake wouldt be awesome :)
  • daniel-kun

gm112

« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2009, 09:50:53 am »
If the game will be 3d I would say use C++ if the game will be 2D game maker will be a good option
and I think a MM remake wouldt be awesome :)
I don't see the possibility of 3D even being considered as the community skill level in game development isn't necessarily up to par for something like that. Hell, more than half of this community fails to do 2D projects.

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2009, 12:41:01 pm »
Agreed, C++ is not a good thing for a community project right now. I'll just say what 4Sword said and leave it at that.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2009, 02:32:14 pm »
  • :3
so.. basicly someone needs to cut the crap and stand up as a leader?

get one overall leader then get artderection , code and story leaders whom are dedicated....
and the project may work....
  • daniel-kun

Jeod

« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2009, 02:38:41 pm »
Ok, seeing as nobody else wants to "cut the crap", I think I will. This topic's been turning into argument over whether or not to use Game Maker or a "more advanced" program. The argument will likely spill over to other matters, and nothing will get done. So here's what's going to happen if things go smoothly.

-Game Maker
-Standard template that engines must meet
-Redesign of Majora's Mask, Ages, or Seasons.
-Community Staff consisting of the site staff, and lesser staff made up of leaders of Graphics, Music, Story, and Programming.

I'm sorry, Mammy, but even though a few people can do C++, most of them don't have the time for as community project.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2009, 05:25:49 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
My vote goes for an ages and seasons remake, I think those two will go over the best.  Majora's Mask seems too difficult (imagine that Stone Tower....*shudder*).  I think no matter what we do though, we'll have to add a few extra things to make it deviate a little from the original with more than just the sprite style.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2009, 07:10:58 pm »
The stone tower isn't really to big a problem. You just have to place two rooms in one. To see the gaps on the ceiling, you can cast shadows on the floor and for other clues you could also make them on the floor.

Jeod

« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2009, 10:49:04 pm »
Yeah yeah, game can come later. What we need to do right now is gather all the existing MC engines and look through them to see if any are good enough to keep for the CP.

« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2009, 01:29:58 am »
  • Lionfish App dev
En la linea. Online games are fun, stuff like LA COOP (not that I've ever played it, but it just LOOKS fun)
  • Lionfish Apps

Jeod

« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2009, 12:15:31 am »
So...what are we supposed to be doing anyway?

« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2009, 12:55:46 am »
The setup will most likely be decided in the following days - the board layout right now is being worked out with the administration.
« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2009, 04:28:12 am »
I can say now that with the way it's going, I'll probably taking a smaller role, anyway. I disagree completely with where the CP is headed, but I'll still help, regardless. THe open-source idea doesn't sound so bad.

Jeod

« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2009, 04:30:45 am »
How do you disagree, Scoot?

« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2009, 04:34:00 am »
How it isn't at all the original game it was planned out to be. I'm going to help, regardless, though. Just being part of a team that actually produces a game...that's what I've wanted to do for a long time.

Jeod

« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2009, 04:39:02 am »
Well we did try reviving the original once before. It failed because nobody wanted to help with it or nobody had good enough experience. Remaking a game first would probably be best because it fills our resource database too.

« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2009, 04:46:48 am »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Remaking a game is the best choice.  We've got a story, we've got characters, we don't have to do any of that stuff.  People know of the games already and this will attract better attention.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie

Jeod

« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2009, 02:06:53 pm »
If it's for the good of the forum, I will make my Link's Awakening Remastered project an open source and an option for this community project. Xfixium's given me his data for the MC version on Game Maker, so we already have a good start. If you go along with this, I'll be grabbing some MC tilesets and mapping the place.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 81 queries.