Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Poll

Which game should be remade as part of the Community Project?

Link's Awakening
- 16 (34.8%)
Oracle of Ages
- 1 (2.2%)
Oracle of Seasons
- 3 (6.5%)
Majora's Mask
- 16 (34.8%)
Wind Waker
- 7 (15.2%)
(Something else, specifiy with post)
- 3 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Community Project's Game  (Read 21045 times)

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
Re: Community Project's Game
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2009, 06:11:20 am »
Why don't instead of that huge puzzle with all the statues make small puzzles with statues? And each puzzle is a floor. After 4, that would bring us to the Stone Tower Temple.

And as for Snowhead, I think we can solve it now. The reason I was conconcerned was because of the fairy in the wall and how we would reach it. Here's the solution.
On every floor of the giant center room anything except the platform and the walls are pits so when Deku Link finishes flying in the top floor, he falls into a pit which then falls into another pit on the 2nd floor and so on eventually on the floor with the fairy there is a platform sticking which Deku Link lands on.

Im still sticking with Majora's Mask BTW
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2009, 07:00:34 am »
  • :3
I cant decide between MM and LA but either way I think MC style wouldt be the best choice (or maybe zfgc style....)
  • daniel-kun

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2009, 07:04:51 am »
  • Silly cat!
I personally still want Ocarina of Time.

Majora's Mask would be next on my list.

Preferably not Wind Waker. Sailing wouldn't work in 2D.

Hoffy.
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2009, 08:39:39 am »

For the most part I'm with you Hoffy. If there's any game where pretty much everyone knows the game, it would be Oot. I know most people here get a sour taste in their mouth from just seeing the Oot2D acronym. However, it would be this site's personal triumph if it were to create at least half of that game. *shrugs* Personally, I haven't played MM. So I would not be any help there.
  • Pyxosoft
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2009, 11:02:02 am »
you guys should totally remake link's awakening. ok bye again

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2009, 12:11:20 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.

o.0 Sailing would be the easiest transition to 2d.. It'd be just as boring as in 3d though <_< you'd have to downsize the map considerably...

Either way, OoT2d and MM2d are preferred to me.
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2009, 07:19:11 pm »
  • Pichuscute
A regular 2d community project has already failed (a really great one, I might add), I don't know how something like Oot2d or MM2d is supposed to actually be finished when our other community project failed.
I would say we need something more simple, such as Link's Awakening (though, I was never any good at that game), that we don't need to sprite as much for. If we are remaking, though, we can't precisely remake, because that would be boring. Gotta add or change some things to it to make it atleast a little original.
BTW, if it is made with GML (which is annoying as hell to work with, even if it is easy), I may be able to help a little. I'm very unreliable,though, and haven't done much with GM in awhile.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 07:21:15 pm by pichuscute »

D-Pad

A.K.A. Gyrowolf
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2009, 07:44:31 pm »
It's a close fight between my two favorite Zelda games. :'( It only hurts a little.

Again, I agree we start simple with Link's Awakening. Everything is already laid out for us (the game was already in 2D), all we have to do is rebuild and/or add-on. If or when we do finish it then we take that experience and try something a little more difficult. Right?

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2009, 09:00:35 pm »
In terms of games, shall we narrow it down to Seasons, Ages, Link's Awakening, and Majora's Mask?

Seasons
This game would be pretty simple to do, even in MC style. The only problem might be the seasons changing, which requires more tiles and even some customs. Another flaw would be that this game would seem worthless without an Ages remake to go with it.

Ages
This game has two overworlds to deal with while Seasons has 5. The only flaw I can spot would be the game would seem worthless without Seasons to go with it.

Link's Awakening
This would be a game of choice to remake if we were to shoot for 2D. It's simple, and we already have some maps in LttP style for it. I see no flaws here except it might be too easy.

^^From GDU. Just my thoughts, no responses yet. A fresh post made a few minutes ago.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2009, 10:04:24 pm »
A regular 2d community project has already failed (a really great one, I might add), I don't know how something like Oot2d or MM2d is supposed to actually be finished when our other community project failed.

How so? With the "King of Thieves" game, we had to come up with everything, including any original game-mechanics (tight-rope, magic carpet, pick-pocketing), from scratch. In fact, to be honest, I think our inability to solidify the gameplay was what killed it. Pick-pocketing, etc., became a back and forth that never ended, because there was always "one more idea" that could make it better. And to an extent, there wasn't really anyone to "cut the crap" and make the final decision.

MM2d or OoT2d would actually be easier, because the story from beginning to end, the basic style, and all the gameplay mechanics are already pretty much laid out for us. MM2d or OoT2D are only hard because, as has been mentioned, people are unwilling to compromise certain 3d features. They try to make things exactly as they were in the original, when it's all but impossible to do. They want the Forest Temple to have the twisty hallway, they want Gohma to drop down from the ceiling when you look up at her. If they would learn to compromise a little, they wouldn't actually be any harder than an ordinary fan-game.

I miss the old Community Project, though, to be honest. Maybe if we just started over, cleared out all the old threads, and just distilled the key points of the original idea (theive's gang, Ganondorf in disguise, pick-pocketing and magic carpet, rich and poor side of town, rival thief, a few other things), it might be feasable again. The problem was the idea got too bloated. Ideas were flying every which way until it became cluttered, with noone to say "no more", but the original concept is still rock-solid, I think.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 10:08:52 pm by legendarylugi »

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2009, 10:22:45 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
Might I suggest a few things if you guys actually go on with this community project?

DOCUMENT STUFF. Seriously, documenting helps a lot. Simple software engineering practices make a huge difference.

Also, use subversion control (SVN). I would recommend www.assembla.com as it is quite simple to manage around.

Don't code before you know your architecture and design.

It's boring stuff, but helps a lot.

And I still stand by Link's Awakening.
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART

Jeod

« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2009, 10:29:26 pm »
Why does documenting need to be so fancy? Just set up a small site server to upload and download community project things.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2009, 10:38:45 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
Why does documenting need to be so fancy? Just set up a small site server to upload and download community project things.

Oh Jeod, you have no idea. <-- that was not meant to be mean.

It doesn't have to be "fancy", it just needs to be organized. Assembla is perfect for this (if you went to go see what it's about, you'd notice). Documenting allows you guys to stay organized. You don't want somebody off doing something completely "off" and not related to the design of the game.

I'm just giving some advice; I've dealt with big school projects, and currently am handling a huge project (a strategy turn-based game). Trust me, at first I thought documenting and being fancy was just dumb, but it really isn't. Stay organized.
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2009, 10:47:08 pm »
Because if it isn't so fancy, everyone would be making their own thing. Resulting in clashing with both programming an graphics. Then there has to be made a work around, which results in dirty and glitching code. If no decent work around can be found, someones work is useless and has to be redone. No one wants to do useless work and that person would easily lose motivation and dedication, go his own path.

Well documented concepts keeps everyone clear to the end result and in the same line. A quote from my machine learning book:

... A recent source is Vapnik 1995 where he writes, "Nothing is more practical than a good theory", which is as true in machine learning as in any other branch...

The same goes for game development.

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2009, 10:50:51 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
Because if it isn't so fancy, everyone would be making their own thing. Resulting in clashing with both programming an graphics. Then there has to be made a work around, which results in dirty and glitching code. If no decent work around can be found, someones work is useless and has to be redone. No one wants to do useless work and that person would easily lose motivation and dedication, go his own path.

Well documented concepts keeps everyone clear to the end result and in the same line. A quote from my machine learning book:

... A recent source is Vapnik 1995 where he writes, "Nothing is more practical than a good theory", which is as true in machine learning as in any other branch...

The same goes for game development.

That's pretty much what I wanted to say, but I was in a bit of a rush for supper. Game development has just as much software engineering concepts involved as any other big software system.
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2009, 10:55:43 pm »
Just an FYI, assembla is now fee-based. It's no longer free.

However if people really wish to use subversioning control, I can setup a server for it.

Jeod

« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2009, 11:07:05 pm »
I'm just trying to get my computer to be able to run server stuff. I have Apache 2.2, anyone wanna tell me how to use it? (PM please, don't wanna go off-topic)

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2009, 11:08:41 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com

However if people really wish to use subversioning control, I can setup a server for it.

FYI, that's not true. I've been using it for a while, for free.

EDIT: Just so we don't go too off-topic, I wanted to raise another point about the game. I think Link's Awakening would be a better choice than Majora's Mask 2D. Think about it this way; you've got most of the tile sets and whatnot since Link's Awakening is already in 2D. To make it more interesting, add maybe a Minish Cap style twist to it, I don't know.

You guys haven't done a community project in a long time, thus having a little less experience with handling such a large project. Majora's Mask will be freaking large, guys.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 11:14:50 pm by Starforsaken101 »
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2009, 11:14:48 pm »

FYI, that's not true. I've been using it for a while, for free.
Really? I'd been using it for a few months a while back. They sent several emails to me and a few people I've worked with, that they were no longer going to be offering a free service and users would have to upgrade. I guess they must have reverted that or something. I'll go have a look.

EDIT: Huh, looks like they restored the free plan. My mistake.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 11:18:07 pm by Infini »

Jeod

« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2009, 11:25:30 pm »
How exactly does Assembla work? I looked at the site and couldn't get much info about the interface.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 78 queries.

anything