Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 83   Go Down

Author Topic: Horn of Balance  (Read 462017 times)

Re: [Demo] Tech demo - Horn of Balance (working ...
« Reply #160 on: March 07, 2010, 12:23:44 pm »
second room shapes looks better. No need to have have it so detailed anyway. And if I remember lttp didn't have oddly shaped/rounded rooms.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #161 on: March 07, 2010, 12:28:32 pm »
second room shapes looks better. No need to have have it so detailed anyway. And if I remember lttp didn't have oddly shaped/rounded rooms.

It did. I only noticed a while back otherwise I would have made it like that before.
I'll post a clearer image of the first image just to make a more fair comparission. (I keep running into tiny faults to fix while walking through the dungeon, so it might take a little while ::)). The comments so far seem pretty clear though.
« Reply #162 on: March 07, 2010, 12:36:52 pm »
The only rounded room on a map was the boss room for the third pendant. But at least that one was large enough to warant it. Making rounded and oddly shaped rooms in such small size and with that lot next to one another kind of hurt the eyes a makes it somewhat more difficult to navigate.
« Reply #163 on: March 07, 2010, 12:45:24 pm »
There were more situations, like in the dark world's swamp level if I recall correctly.
What you're saying however is true. I'll post a clearer image later on. And if noby changes there mind after that, then I'll go back to the previous style.
« Reply #164 on: March 07, 2010, 06:15:55 pm »
These are all the rooms currently finished (with the excepting of the lower floor).

Everybody still likes the old situation better? With the square rooms?
« Reply #165 on: March 07, 2010, 06:35:55 pm »
Yup.
« Reply #166 on: March 07, 2010, 08:10:40 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Yup.
I also like the square rooms better.
  • My Music
« Reply #167 on: March 07, 2010, 08:13:45 pm »
Thankfully. :) I'm already halfway in disassembling it again.
I am however planning on keeping the more detailed pathways between the rooms. I'll post another image once it's done to clarify.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #168 on: March 07, 2010, 08:35:44 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Yeah I'm pretty sure lttp's rooms weren't too jagged. I say this because the actual room data structure is set up to handle generic screen sized blocks of tiles that typically don't vary much outside of slightly angled room boundaries. Every now and again there's an odd angled wall somewhere, but it was never anything too disfiguring to the square shape.
« Reply #169 on: March 07, 2010, 09:08:42 pm »

Well, it's hardly any effort adding new roomsprites so if anybody feels a room somewhere could use editing just let me know. I'm not using a tileset btw since I'd have to store more data to retrieve a room's sprite.
« Reply #170 on: March 07, 2010, 09:50:13 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Much better, but the pathways need to be about 3 pixels instead of just one; one is too small too see without straining the eyes. Check out this pic I found:

Hope that helps.
  • My Music
« Reply #171 on: March 07, 2010, 10:01:42 pm »
We'll have to chat about that some time. Right now though it's late and you know already what kind of a week I'll have. I'll just leave it till next weekend.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #172 on: March 08, 2010, 04:10:45 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
There's another inconsistency I should probably mention that only applies if you're going for true LTTP style design--

In the attached picture, the green colored rooms break the "room laws" of lttp; that is to say that the only way those rooms are possible is if the middle part of the room according to the map is a boundary to transition to the other side.

Each of the gray squares in the grid represent a 4 room quad; that's also the maximum amount that lttp can free roam the camera before you actually have a room transition. Crossing that gray boundary means a room transition has to ensue, since free roaming can only occur inside of the gray grid block. Ultimately the entire map would have to be shifted by one room size either to the left or to the right for it to work.

This all (of course) is only if you're going for that true-to-lttp sort of programming along with the gameplay feel.
« Reply #173 on: March 08, 2010, 05:47:50 pm »
I'm not quite THAT hardcore. My engine does not have such a limitation, so it'd be more of a restriction then a gain. I'll just take what I feel are improvements on what I already have right now and leave the rest.
« Reply #174 on: March 14, 2010, 12:34:40 pm »
Update report:

It's still under construction but I thought it would be better if I posted now so I can still easily change stuff if people have usefull comments. You'll notice the lack of chests and arrows and such. That's next. I'm thinking of also making the light blue room color lighter and the gray gridlines darker.

Anyway. Does anybody have any input?

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #175 on: March 17, 2010, 09:42:18 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
Looks like a very labyrinthine dungeon. I kinda like! Great work!

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #176 on: March 18, 2010, 05:03:09 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
It looks great Martijn! As you suggested, making the gray lines darker might make it look even better, and it might help even more with making the passageways pop out more.

The light room color seems a bit more purple-ish than the dark blue, or something. Maybe I just stared at it too long. Really though, it's fine the way it is, but you can change it to a lighter color if you want to. It's not really a big deal.
  • My Music
« Reply #177 on: April 02, 2010, 02:23:58 pm »
Just a little post to show I've haven't forgotten about you guys and to get some input.
I've been very busy lately and will be for some time to come, so sorry if I don't update very often. I did however manage to get some work done today. On the status ailments for enemies (since it's easter and banks consider that a holiday XD). Along the way while building that I got this idea of adding in an item to turn enemies to stone (and/or visaversa). I've been adding a stone status and it'd be a shame not to use it more then with just one type of enemy (=the cyclops guards). Anybody have any thoughts on this subject. And what I'm also very interested in: What kind of item would you want to use for this functionality? I was considering a rod/cane, but there are two of each already.

Just some gameplay idea's that come to mind:
-Turn a large enemy into a statue and push/pull it over a switch etc.
-Turn a small enemy into a statue and pick up / put down the statue. Or throw it for more damage, like with various frozen enemies.
-Turn NPC to life to get information, advancement or items.
-Remove the stone status from objects so their original function can be used. For example a tree can be crashed into against if you want to gain some apples items from it. A switch will be unstuck or a geyser will start flowing again.
-Stop / continue a time trigger event. For instance a pull switch that slowly reverts to it's original position. Stone it and the advance will stop, letting you progress.

Do keep in mind that this is all very much just in the planning stages and will not appear in any demo for a long time. So don't get you're hopes up too much.

Edit: Just a question in between. What happens when you run up against a frozen and/or stone enemy in alttp?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 03:32:14 pm by Martijn dh »

Dark-Hylian

Silence
« Reply #178 on: April 02, 2010, 06:16:23 pm »
Personally, what I think of, for stone transformation, I think shield. Perhaps, if you're doing a mirror shield, when you reflect light on them... they change. This would be effective against some types of enemies, npcs, and doors, like in MM / OOT. Persay, we have an eyegore. *now this doesn't have to be any old normal light.* There's a well of light, and you sit there with your shield, and you have to lure it near the light, and use either your mirror shield or other item of light magnifying ability.

Or it could be something like in MC, but controlled by being in, around or near some amplifying effect, where you charge up with the surrounding energy, and let loose a beam. This gives you many versatile options, such as, a firey torch for light, make it a fire beam. Plain light, affects stone beasties. Icy Torches, like in MM and OOT, shoot icy beams.

It could be an item or a sword, such as the shield in OOT, against the Twinrova sisters.

I don't know, it's just a though.
  • Dawning Hour
« Reply #179 on: April 03, 2010, 04:15:20 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
(Oh dang, I came back from work and realized that I left myself logged on to ZFGC again! D:)

My ideas on stone stuff:

Like WW, you could have "dark" enemies that you could reflect light at from the mirror shield to turn them to stone (wait.. do you have the mirror shield?.. I forget). Personally, I think it should be a staff. I had a ton of ideas, but I had to leave for work and now that I'm back I forget...

Let's see:
  • Small stone enemies can be picked up and carried like a pot, and they should press normal buttons.
  • Large stone enemies cannot be picked up and carried without an item that gives Link major strength but they can be pushed. These should be able to press down rusty buttons and can be used to block up waterways or lava flows or something.
  • There's got to be a boss that you turn to stone! You'd have to have an item that gives Link amazing strength so that he can pick up the boss and toss him into spikes or lava (something like that). Just an idea.
  • Turn lilies to stone so that Link can cross over water.. or something.. (I admit that I have no more ideas.. work and programming have used up my brain power for the day)

As for your question on the frozen/stone lttp enemies. I believe that running into the has the same effect as any solid. If you dash into them, you bounce back. If you just run/walk into the stone ones then it's like a normal wall, but I think Link should get frozen if he touches a frozen enemy, whether LttP does it this way or not (I'm too lazy to check right now, lol).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 04:16:56 am by FrozenFire »
  • My Music
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 83   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.375 seconds with 75 queries.

anything