Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 84   Go Down

Author Topic: Horn of Balance  (Read 479480 times)

Re: [DEMO 17 out] Alttp - Horn of Balance
« Reply #1040 on: March 17, 2016, 05:48:17 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
You do realise that if this work that I'll have to also credit you for additional programming don't you? If you'd ever decide to also help with level design and story I'd have to credit you a little bit on literally EVERY aspect of the development XD

:P Well, I don't know how much more I will be trying to help from here on out. I really don't expect I'll be trying to help with story though, and probably not level design either. But I am thinking I'd like to do some more testing here and there and to possibly make a new trailer video for you after the conversion to GM:Studio is more complete.

I'll definatly try out your coding (though I'm going through a little bit of a rough patch medically this week so it might take a little while).

Yeah, no problem. There's no rush or anything. I hope that rough patch gets over quickly and that things go well. And if you end up not wanting to implement my code for whatever reason, don't worry about it. You won't hurt my feelings. XD
  • My Music
« Reply #1041 on: March 19, 2016, 03:17:07 pm »
I've been thinking about the suggested improvement and I'll not be implementing it (in the near future). I really like the concept though.

My reasoning:
I'm not convinced the increased game logic will be of sufficient use if the screen fps stays behind. Keeping the visuals at 60 fps means the player will get the player at best 1/120th of a second faster feedback. This based on the assumption that  there is a frame of delay between inputting commands and the gamemaker step and draw events (which I do not believe is the case making the improvement 0). Also (and most importantly) after some experimenting I estimate the change will require about 0.5 to 1 years worth of additional work so that's kinda painfull. I don't believe I'd be able to handle another year of delays.

PS: The gameplay will slow down a lot pretty soon when all the characters return to their original speeds. Hopefully that'll help with the game's feel.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 03:19:26 pm by Martijn dh »
« Reply #1042 on: March 20, 2016, 11:07:16 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Ah, I'm not quite sure I understood what you weren't convinced about or if you even understood all of what I talked about (I may have failed a bit in explaining everything properly)? Forgive me if I misunderstood your reply, but it sounds like you say you're disagreeing about a part that I've actually proven to be true. I wasn't theorizing on faster room speed giving faster input response. Maybe I can try to explain in a different way.

I guess here is one way you can test that input is not registered between room steps:
In some kind of test project, set the room speed to something like 2, then you will be able to press the keys in between frames (i.e. during the points inside of a second when code isn't executed) and it simply won't register the key press at all. So that's the very hands-on way to do it. But it can also be seen when just observing what GM is doing in the code.
There are two different timings in GM: One is the room speed timing. Any code the GM user puts in their game is bound by this timing, only executing upon a room step. But there is also another timing, and it's running MUCH faster than the room speed, and this is because it is the timing engine that is 'under the hood' which actually controls and maintains the room speed that the GM user sets. So this second timing I'm talking about is the "fps real". The real fps is the actual speed the game/program is running, but that's obviously not the speed the room is running, and all code - including input checks - are only executing upon a room step. So what happens is that the CPU can get around to the game only to skip over all the code because it's not time to execute a room step. This is why fps real runs much faster than room speed, because it's used as a sort of padding to maintain room speed, regardless of CPU spikes or lags, because that 'under the hood' stuff is checking how much time has passed.

But anyway, sorry, I felt like I should explain it, even if you aren't using it, I still wanted to clear up any misunderstandings (and hopefully I said things clear enough.. I'm really wiped out from work today). But obviously, yes, please don't implement if you don't want to and if it would be too much work. ;) I only suggested it in the first place just to let you be informed so as to decide if you wanted to take the option or not.
  • My Music
« Reply #1043 on: March 20, 2016, 12:43:33 pm »
So what happens if I set the room speed (and thus the key detection events) to 300 fps and only execute the draw AND step events at 60 fps? Will that still have the same response improvement?

To clarify. My coding situation would be as follows:
1. (from 60 fps to 300 fps) key detection events (=stores key state to variable)
2. (60 fps) step events for AI (=key response / execute movement / execute collisions / etc)
3. (60 fps) draw events

I ask because this approach cuts down conversion time considerably. It could easily cut it in half since I'd only still really have to worry about alarms and earlier draw_enable_drawevent() usages.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 12:45:24 pm by Martijn dh »
« Reply #1044 on: March 20, 2016, 06:40:21 pm »
And here is another progress report for this weekend.
Lots of progress made simplifying the enemy mechanics.

Code: [Select]
0.17.126 Studio (19 maart 2016)
* Combined all types of enemy sprites into a single object
* Fixed error when using the hammer on the solid ground near turtles
* Fixed issue where the game doesn't detect enemy sprites the instant you warp into a new room.
* Fixed the way the game detects all enemies killed in a room
* Fixed masking issues in the dungeon2 and subdungeon2
* Fixed some tiling issues dungeon2

0.17.127 Studio (20 maart 2016)
* Fixed masking issue in the dungeon1
* Organised the background resources a little further
* Fixed masking issue F2 Dungeon 2
* Combined enemy control objects into a single object
* Converted enemy sprite object
* Reorganised enemy sprite creation coding
* Tweaked enemy visuals cutting down on gamemaker resources
« Reply #1045 on: March 20, 2016, 08:03:40 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
So what happens if I set the room speed (and thus the key detection events) to 300 fps and only execute the draw AND step events at 60 fps? Will that still have the same response improvement?

To clarify. My coding situation would be as follows:
1. (from 60 fps to 300 fps) key detection events (=stores key state to variable)
2. (60 fps) step events for AI (=key response / execute movement / execute collisions / etc)
3. (60 fps) draw events

Funny you mention this, because I've tried this before. But the answer is, no, it unfortunately wouldn't help one bit.

The reason why is because - even though the input is detected at the super fast speed and stored at that moment into a variable, the game will still delay in reading that variable and responding to it to make something happen. So you end up with almost exactly the same problem. Even though the input is getting registered earlier, it means nothing if the execution related to the input isn't executed at the same time.

The only thing you'd gain in that case would be totally useless, but it would allow you to lower the room speed to stupidly low levels, then you could hit keys in between room steps and you'd never have any unregistered key presses - everything would always register and execute. But, as I said, this is totally useless because you never want your room speed that low and this is simply no issue at all with 60+ room speed anyway. Even on 30 room speed, it's quite hard to hit a key only in between a room step.
-
EDIT: I came back and reread what I said. WTF was I thinking right here?... Um, obviously if the room speed is super low, then the input checks will also be low because input check frequency is determined by room speed. I seriously have no idea how I was being so brainless here. Wow, I must be overworking myself.
-

But anyway, honestly Martijn, I'm kind of sorry I brought this up now, because it's really not THAT good of an improvement, and - after hearing what you've been saying - I believe it's just not worth it, considering how far along your game is. Now, if you were just starting a game, it'd be a different story. I'd totally suggest doing it in that case.
If people have a keyboard with "squishy" keys, it's likely that they couldn't even feel the difference between 60 and 300 room speed anyway. It's a bit more on the subtle side, even in the best case; even if the gamer is totally aware and has a keyboard with tight keys. In many cases, if you were to do some kind of side by side comparison between the old 60 speed version and the new 300 speed one, and if you had people blind test them, they would likely say something like the following about the faster running one: "This feels better, but I don't really know why. Seems a little smoother somehow." But it's actually possible some people might just not feel a difference if they're tired and/or the keyboard is not so tight on the keys. I kind of say this because I just did a test last night while tired and with a crappy keyboard and I couldn't tell the difference myself between 60-300, but I could tell the difference between 30-300 and even between 30-60. However, in the case of 60-300, even though I didn't feel difference between input response, the game still looked noticeably smoother on 300 vs 60, even though in both cases I was drawing only 60 FPS.

But my conclusion after all our conversing is to just forget it anyway. Your game is fine without it. I'm just one of those people who has stupidly high standards. :P
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 06:04:55 am by FrozenFire »
  • My Music
« Reply #1046 on: March 21, 2016, 04:59:53 pm »
It's all cool. Conceptual conversations can be fun in there own right and who knows what future developments hold.
« Reply #1047 on: April 03, 2016, 08:08:59 am »
Just a little update to mention there is little (noticable) progress untill next week.
Again: personal stuff is preventing me from finding the time/energy to do more.

I did however update my personal roadmap to make ik more realistic, changing up the development order somewhat. And I started the dawnting task of converting all enemy spawners and sprites in the game

ROADMAP (changed up on 03-04-2015)

== Phase A (goal: 1-1-2016)==
DONE

== Phase B (goal: 1-4-2016)==
DONE

== Phase C (goal: 1-7-2016)==
DONE Convert enemy draw order and draw events
IN PROGRESS Convert enemy spawners
Convert enemy death objects
Convert enemy collision mechanics
Convert enemy damage / health systems
Convert all default enemies (AI / etc):
  – Hazards
  – Projectiles
  – Skeletons
  – Soldiers
  – Other humanoids
  – Flyers
  – Blobs
  – Sand enemies
  – Bosses
  – Other

== Phase D (goal: 1-9-2016)==
Convert action object: obj_Switch
 > OPTIONAL: Added new “terrain”: blocks on/off from the ground
Convert action object: obj_Container
 > OPTIONAL: Added fully functional fairy pond
Convert darkness engine
Convert light sources

== Phase E (goal: 1-11-2016)==
Convert ALL character 36+ states (add list later on)
 > OPTIONAL: New enemy: (golden) bugs (from trees)
 > OPTIONAL: New “item”: enemy bombs (from tree mouth)
 > OPTIONAL: Added new object: bumper
 > OPTIONAL: Added new character state: Swimming
 > OPTIONAL: Added new character state: Diving
 > OPTIONAL: Added new character state: Drowning
 > OPTIONAL: Added new “terrain”: magical tracks
Convert character transition animations
 > OPTIONAL: Stairs up/down have black transition fade up/down
Convert character projectiles
Convert character shield mechanics
Convert character (other) collision mechanics
[IN PROGRESS] Convert character draw order and draw events
Convert scenes
Convert obj_Character remaining scripts / resources

== Phase F (goal: 1-12-2016)==
Rebuild Item menu
Rebuild Map menu
Manage to fully restored old demo in time for NCFC
« Reply #1048 on: April 17, 2016, 07:13:43 pm »
There have been some delays, but I'm back to making progress again.

The thing was: I across a gamebreaking bugs 3,5 weeks ago that seemed to defied programming logic. To be more specific: enabling and disabling the same object within a single event lead to Gamemaker functions not recognizing that object after a random number of times, even though I would still be drawn. (Studio frustrated me sometimes :-\)

Anyway, I've realized a stable version once again and will continue work on the enemies. I'll release a new testdemo after the first batch enemies have been converted and set to 60 fps.

PROGRESS MADE:
0.17.128 Studio (25 maart 2016)
* Edited a lot of enemy sprite resources (behind the scenes)

0.17.129 Studio (26 maart 2016)
* Renamed enemy spawner objects

0.17.130 Studio (10 april 2016)
* Combined all types of enemy creation objects into a single object (just 300+ instances to check and/or edit in response – no joke)
* Continious enemy spawners converted to 60 fps
* Set flying tile activation timing to 60 fps
* Set cannonball activation timing to 60 fps
* Fixed tiling issue in dungeon 1
* Fixed masking glitch in dungeon 1

0.17.131 + 0.17.132 Studio (13 april 2016)
* Fully finished combining enemy creation objects into a single object
* Fixed glitch: pausing game outside room with cannonballs freezes cannonballs upon entering their room
* Fixed masking issue dungeon 1

0.17.133 A/B/C Studio (17 april 2016)
* Fixed a wide array of weird errors due to tempering with enemy objects: enemies disabling randomly, not being detected by gamemaker at random, the game turning black after using Save & quit option a few times etc.
* Medium & large cannonballs now move and animate at 60 fps
« Reply #1049 on: April 24, 2016, 07:50:19 pm »
Here is another progress report: I was able to start converting some of the easier enemies in the game.

PROGRESS REPORT:
0.17.134 Studio (20 april 2016)
* Animated overworld flowers
* Add animated desert flowers
* Edited more enemy sprite resources (behind the scenes)
* Converted special enemy states: burned, ice, stone, stunned

0.17.135 Studio (23 april 2016)
* Edited more enemy sprite resources
* Converted enemies:
     – Guruguru bar (red / blue)
– Cannonballs (large / normal)
* Fixed depth issue cannonballs dungeon 1

0.17.136 Studio (24 april 2016)
* Converted more enemies:
– Trickbox
– Medusa block
– Wall cannon
* Fixed graphical issue Purple Leever

ENEMIES CONVERTED:
- Wall Cannon
- Medusa block
- Trickbox
      - Cannonball
- Guruguru bar

ROADMAP:
DONE Convert enemy spawners
DONE Convert enemy special states: stunned, burning, stone, ice
Convert enemy collision mechanics
Convert all default enemies (AI / etc):
  – Hazards
> DONE Guruguru bar (A/B)
> DONE Cannonballs (normal / large)
> DONE Trickbox
> DONE Medusa block
> DONE Wall cannon
> [[IN PROGRESS]] Spiked block (stationary / moving / triggered)
> [[IN PROGRESS]] Large spiked block
> [[IN PROGRESS]] Spiked roller
> Beamos
> OPTIONAL: Winder (A/B)
> OPTIONAL: Spark (A/B)
> OPTIONAL: Wall laser eye
> OPTIONAL: Bumper
> OPTIONAL: Boulder
> OPTIONAL: Chain chomp
> OPTIONAL: Rabbit beam
  – Projectiles
> [[IN PROGRESS]] Fireball (trailing)
> [[IN PROGRESS]] Small cannonballs
> [[IN PROGRESS]] Magic waves
> [[IN PROGRESS]] Octorock / Slarok balls
> Molgera rock
> Skeleton bones
> Laser (beamos)
> OPTIONAL: Laser (wall eye)
  – Blobs
> Break down later on
  – Flyers
> Break down later on
  – Sand enemies
> Break down later on
  – Skeletons
> Break down later on
  – Soldiers
> Break down later on
  – Other humanoids
> Break down later on
  – Other minions
> Break down later on
  – Bosses
> Break down later on

Convert darkness engine
Convert light sources

Convert character draw order and draw events
Convert scenes

Rebuild Item menu
Rebuild Map menu
« Reply #1050 on: May 14, 2016, 09:24:56 pm »
And here is another progress report. Things have been a little rough lately, but it's still continuing slowly but steadily.

PROGRESS REPORT:
0.17.137 Studio (26 april 2016)
– Spiked blocks (default)
– Spiked blocks (large)
– Spiked roll

0.17.138 Studio (30 april 2016)
– Projectiles (= 7 types)
* Fixed projectiles being block by the solid object they are spawned on top of
* Integrated thrown stalfos bones with default projectiles
* Converted projectile movement scripting (fixing projectiles moving through some specific walls and transition objects)

0.17.139 Studio (4 mei 2016)
– Beamos lasers
* Fixed graphical issue when multiple beamos shooting at the same time
* Fixed issue with lasers moving through walls during specific combinations of angles, distances and speeds.
* Converted about half of the enemy end step AI

0.17.140 Studio (14 mei 2016)
* Worked on level designs for: Hyrule town, tutorial cave and sewers tutorial
– Deibadora
– Anti-Faerie
– Cactus (the ones which Vultures sit on top of)
– Beamos

ENEMIES NOW CONVERTED:
- Anti-Faerie
- Wall Cannon
- Medusa block
- Spiked block
- Trickbox
- Beamos
      - Cannonball
- Deibadora
- Large spiked block
- Spiked roll
- Guruguru bar

ROADMAP:
DONE Convert enemy spawners
DONE Convert enemy special states: stunned, burning, stone, ice
[[IN PROGRESS]] Convert enemy collision mechanics
[[IN PROGRESS]] Convert all default enemies (AI / etc):
  – Hazards (undamagable)
> DONE Guruguru bar (A/B)
> DONE Cannonballs (normal / large)
> DONE Trickbox
> DONE Medusa block
> DONE Wall cannon
> DONE Spiked block (stationary / moving / triggered)
> DONE Large spiked block
> DONE Spiked roller
> DONE Beamos
> [[IN PROGRESS]] OPTIONAL: Wall laser eye
> [[IN PROGRESS]] OPTIONAL: Winder (A/B)
> [[IN PROGRESS]] OPTIONAL: Spark (A/B)
> [[IN PROGRESS]] OPTIONAL: Boulder
> [[IN PROGRESS]] OPTIONAL: Chain chomp
> OPTIONAL: Bumper
> OPTIONAL: Rabbit beam
  – Hazards (damagable)
> DONE Anti-Faerie
> [[IN PROGRESS]] Deadrock
> [[IN PROGRESS]] Flying tiles
  – Projectiles
> DONE Fireball (trailing)
> DONE Small cannonballs
> DONE Magic waves
> DONE Octorock / Slarok balls
> DONE Molgera rock
> DONE Skeleton bones
> DONE Laser (beamos)
> [[IN PROGRESS]] OPTIONAL: Laser (wall eye)
  – Sand enemies
> DONE Deibadora
> DONE Cactus
> [[IN PROGRESS]] Sandman
> Leever
> Sanmola
> Lanmola
  – Blobs
> Break down later on
  – Flyers
> Break down later on
  – Skeletons
> Break down later on
  – Soldiers
> Break down later on
  – Other humanoids
> Break down later on
  – Other minions
> [[IN PROGRESS]] Wizzrobes
> [[IN PROGRESS]] Hardhat beetle
> [[IN PROGRESS]] OPTIONAL: Wallmaster
  – Bosses / NPC
> Break down later on

> OPTIONAL: Added new “terrain”: magic tracks
Convert darkness engine
Convert light sources

Convert character draw order and draw events
Convert scenes

Rebuild Item menu
Rebuild Map menu
« Reply #1051 on: May 18, 2016, 08:13:21 pm »
Here is another quick progress update: There were a few holidays the last couple of days so I was able to more progress then usual (=14 out of 38 normal enemies are now converted). Also, I finally discovered the power of shaders (which I just had to try out somewhere). Lastly, the starting post has been tweaked a little to slowly restore it to old glory.

0.17.141 Studio (15 mei 2016)
* Fixed beamos targeting sometimes being obstructed by self
* Edited / converted more enemy sprite resources
   – Hardhat beetles (red / blue)
   – Deadrock
   – Sandman

0.17.142 Studio (16 mei 2016)
* Tweaked hardhat beetle animation slightly
* Started work on new enemies:
   – Wall Eyelaser (2 versions + accompanying laser)

0.17.143 Studio (18 mei 2016)
* Implemented shaders for better performance during warp events
* Implemented shaders for better performance while getting shocked
* Edited diggrid usage to prevent warnings
* Fixed sounds and visuals when warping while standing in water
« Reply #1052 on: May 18, 2016, 09:53:25 pm »
Well, I don't have much to say, but telling you that you are doing a really great job right here. :D
« Reply #1053 on: May 19, 2016, 05:58:14 am »
Thank you
« Reply #1054 on: May 25, 2016, 08:12:02 pm »
Here is another quick update.

PROGRESS REPORT:
0.17.144 Studio (25 mei 2016)
– Gibo
– Stall
– Armos (default / sleeping / constant statue)
– Wizzrobes (alive / undead)
– Vulture
– Flying Tiles
* Edited / converted more enemy sprite resources
* Wizzrobes can no longer damage (or be damaged) while not fully visible
* Fixed tiling issue in the gauntlet area
* Fixed a few situational graphical issues with trees

ENEMIES NOW CONVERTED:
- Anti-Faerie
- Wall Cannon
- Stall
- Gibo
- Medusa block
- Spiked block
- Trickbox
- Deadrock
- Beamos
- Armos
- Vulture
- Hardhat Beetle
- Sandman
- Wizzrobe / Undead wizzrobe
      - Cannonball
- Flying Tile
- Deibadora
- Large spiked block
- Spiked
- Guruguru bar
« Reply #1055 on: June 05, 2016, 07:57:20 pm »
PROGRESS REPORTED:
0.17.145 Studio (5 juni 2016)
* Lost a full day worth of progress :(
* Converted more enemy sprite resources
– Turtle
– Octorok / Slarok
* Fixed issues with fireballs from trickbox / medusa block

NEW ENEMIES CONVERTED:
- Turtle
- Octorok / Slarok
« Reply #1056 on: June 06, 2016, 05:29:15 pm »
Lost a full day of progress? One can not lose a full days progress. Even if you lost what you have done for the game, you still would have gained either knowlage or ideas in that same time.
But still putting in a lot of work in this I see. Already looking forward to the next demo.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 05:31:49 pm by Atom »
« Reply #1057 on: July 02, 2016, 09:27:00 am »
Just a little update to show that I'm still alive and that the project is not dead. I've been on vacation for a few weeks and after that I've been focusing on more home improvements so that's why I've been offline this least periode. Expect new updates again starting next weekend .
« Reply #1058 on: July 03, 2016, 08:34:19 pm »
PROGRESS REPORT:
0.17.146 Studio (6 juni 2016)
– Goriya

0.17.147 Studio (8 juni 2016)
* Converted more enemy sprite resources
– Bari
– Buzzblob / Cukeman
– Leevers

0.17.147 Studio (11 juni 2016)
* Finished new enemy: Wall Eyelasers (2 versions + accompanying laser)
* Fixed issues with red bari death
* Started work on new enemy: Winder
* Tweaked visuals guruguru bar

0.17.148 Studio (12 juni 2016)
* Converted some enemy movement scripts
* Made more progress with new winder enemy

0.17.149 Studio (3 juli 2016)
* Converted more default enemy sprites
* Finished new enemy: Winder
* Started work on new enemy: Spark

NEW ENEMIES CONVERTED:
- Leever
- Buzz Blob / Cukeman
- Bari
- Goriya
- Wall lasers (NEW in version 18.0)
- Winder (NEW in version 18.0)
« Reply #1059 on: July 10, 2016, 08:04:25 pm »
Just wanted to note that adding the wall hunging enemy Spark was desceptively tricky and timeconsuming. Has anyone else ever added such an enemy types to their own game? And if so, how did you manage it?

Also: a new demo will be released next week (if nothing bad happens). The main character and a portion of the enemies will still move at 2x speed, but it SHOULD all be playable now. New content (=the new enemies) can only be found in an extended debug area, but I'll include instructions for those that want to see and/or test them.

PROGRESS REPORT:
0.17.150 Studio (9 juli 2016)
* Finished new enemy: Spark

0.17.151 Studio (10 juli 2016)
* Improved spark movement scripting to also be able to handle non-integer speeds
* Converted another enemy: Eyegore (3x)
* Converted more default enemy sprites
* Finished converting all boss sprites
* Combined various terrain collision scripting
* Started work on new enemy: Snapdragon

ENEMIES NEWLY CONVERTED / ADDED:
- Eyegore
- Spark (NEW in version 18.0)
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 84   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 74 queries.