Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: [DEMO] pureLA Engine and OoTGB  (Read 23106 times)

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
[DEMO] pureLA Engine and OoTGB
« on: May 12, 2009, 06:01:35 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Update:
Source is now available for this project.

I'm going to have to ask that anyone who downloads the source does not use it in their projects (not that you can really *add* it to a project; you have to build the project off of it), and that it's used purely with the intention of adding on to it, and submitting scripts to help finish the engine.

If you have developed something you'd like to make a part of pureLA, please PM me with the following:

-Script Name
-Script Description
-Script Dependencies
-Where the script belongs in the pureLA family
-The name you'd like to be credited under

I do ask that you don't use any code that you've borrowed from another location. Original 'made-by-you' code only. Also, it's required that the script follows the conventions used throughout pureLA. This means- No dependencies outside of the category it falls under (IE octorok map engine scripts can have dependencies through that system, but not other systems), and if possible, single-script objects if objects are needed. This requires almost all script creation to be done with the pureLA engine handy for efficiency and ease-of-integration.

pureLA.zip (54.42 KB)

About pureLA:

Project Head: Mamoruanime

pureLA is a pseudo pipeline engine system using GameMaker 6.1 housing essential scripts needed for any Gameboy Zelda fangame.

Each element to the engine is it's own system, in which everything runs from a host script, and branches out to many other areas of the code, but still running independently of the other individual scripts. This allows you to pick and choose which engines you would like to use for your games.

Individual systems within the pureLA engine avoid using multiple objects to operate. Meaning they need to be initialized, but do not need separate objects to run the scripts. Everything's handled using built in drawing functions and variables.. This increases your fangame's overall speed and filesize. One controller object is all that's needed to run each engine.

The following are the systems used in pureLA along with a brief description:

Octorok Map System (OMS)
External Map Dynamic Loader

Nayru Inventory System (NIS)
Item File Loader and Inventory Management

Din Dialog System (DDS)
Links Awakening Dialog Management

Each system can run independently of the other unless otherwise specified in code. In which case, simply running a system's initialization script will allow the other to run.

-

The main feature of this engine is ORE.

ORE dynamically loads maps created on a 9x9 room grid. This grid is the ONLY room you need in your game. Upon initializing, ORE will load 9 map files, with the player being in the center of the grid.

Q: Why set up the map system this way?
A: Simply put, it's foolish to load a huge room at one time, and it's even more foolish to have a million rooms in gamemaker just to symbolize one area in your game. That causes major filesize issues on your compiled EXE. ORE reduces your filesize by requiring only ONE room with no tiles or object data initially placed. The system loads your rooms for you, and discards them when they're not needed. No more long load times, and no more shoddy transitions from room to room. Everything is near authentic to Links Awakening.

-

The second main system is NIS. NIS handles everything involving inventory. Much like in Links Awakening, and the Oracle series, your items are placed on a grid for you to select from. Selecting an item places it in slot A or slot B. Most inventory and menu systems use multiple objects to represent what's on the screen, but NIS does not. Instead, it uses various arrays and individual scripts to display your inventory, and manage each action the player takes henceforth. Simple scripts such as "AddInvItem(x,y);" make it easy to place an item in your inventory. If a place is not free in the inventory, it moves to the next logical place.

Certain items might have multiple iterations of itself, or possibly different kinds of ammunition. Much like in the GB zelda games, upon selecting these items, a dialog will appear showing the other selectable versions of the item.

Another key feature is that each item is it's own script. One script is needed for each item to operate in the menu, as well as in-game.

-

The DDS system handles dynamic dialog display along with any and all text functions in the game. Typewriter scripts, text effects, and even the ocarina song display scripts are handled through this.

-

The goal for pureLA is to help people easily create their GB zelda fangames without the loss of development quality. The scripts in pureLA are easy enough to use for even the most inexperienced developers to utilize these efficiently.

-

About OoTGB:

Project Head: Mamoruanime, Metallica48423, and DJvenom if he's still interested (lol you still get sources foo)

Ocarina of Time GB is the test-bed for pureLA. It will be used to showcase the functionality of the engine, as well as give players a fun retro gaming experience with one of their favorite Zelda titles.

As apposed to this game being a 1:1 transition from 3d to 2d, it's more of a "re-imagining" of the classic; offering the original storyline and fun as if it were made back in 1994 for the GB.

Development on OoTGB is done simultaneously with pureLA, and will have more frequent demo releases. pureLA will have a release once the pipeline is completed and ready.

Tech demos will be released frequently showcasing general functionality, and game demos will be posted at each milestone in development. Below is a list of preliminary milestones:

- Inside the Deku Tree
- Dodongo's Cavern
- Adulthood

Once these three milestones are reached, the engine will be near complete if not already finished, and OoTGB will be in full exclusive development.

Preliminary technology screens are attached to this thread, as well as a tileset preview. The tileset preview shows how the resources are optimized, and will be released publicly via the Zelda game mass rip project (in the Graphics board)

Feedback, as well as ideas are greatly appreciated.

Preliminary builds and source have been previewed by a select few. Namely DJvenom; who has viewed each preliminary milestone as it's created and offered excellent feedback for each.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 07:44:23 pm by Bludleef »

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
Re: pureLA Engine
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 06:10:47 am »
Awesome mamor I can't wait to try this out. BTW, if you ever need hookshot sprites, tell me. I have them.
  • Phoenix Heart

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 06:33:00 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
It's not needed, but thanks anyway :p

We pretty much have every graphical resource needed to finish these projects.

-

This week is going to be used for developing our Actor system; which handles NPCs and the player character.

Once that system is done, we'll be able to release the entire Kokiri Forest demonstration using everything mentioned in the starting post.

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 06:34:06 am »
  • Silly cat!
There you go Sprite Collector :).

As for OoTGB - that's cool. I love the toned down colour scheme. Can't wait to see more.

Hoffy.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 08:20:43 am »
Actually so do I. Hey mamor, do you mind if I use some of those palette colours for my game?
  • Phoenix Heart

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 08:29:47 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I don't mind :p it's the palette from the Lost Woods in OoS with a few new tiles using that palette that weren't in the lost woods lol

I've attached a screenshot showing how OMS loads the rooms. It showcases the Kokiri Forest a bit too.

In some cases, it will avoid loading rm 1.1, 1.3, 3.1, and 3.3 depending on the settings you use in the script. The only reason it would ever need to load those rooms is if you have free-scrolling on. In the overworld for OoTGB, free-scrolling is off. Only in dungeons can that be toggled. This only loads those rooms to show how it essentially pieces those rooms together.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 08:34:28 am by Mamoruanime »

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 08:33:41 am »
That is too sexy for this forum! The graphics are fantastic mamor!! Now do the Great Deku Tree

*Starts prodding Mamor to go into the direction for a screenshot of Deku Tree*
Please?
  • Phoenix Heart

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 08:37:08 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
lol That room isn't finished yet... In fact, I'll show you :P

As you can see; it's unfinished :p It's loading a placeholder room that uses another tileset.

You can also see in that screen that I utilize some out-of-users-view tricks, especially with the lower right hand corner. If the player can't physically transition from that room to the room next to it, they don't have to align perfectly.

I may change the layout soon though.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 08:39:48 am »
That's so sneaky! Im gonna redo some of my Kokiri Forest now (The trees could be done a tad better.)
SO typical that the most important room isn't done yet   :-\
  • Phoenix Heart

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 08:41:49 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
That's so sneaky! Im gonna redo some of my Kokiri Forest now (The trees could be done a tad better.)
SO typical that the most important room isn't done yet   :-\

Lol, we'll that's mostly due to not being at that development stage yet. We're getting the engine near-finished prior to working on the game. During the game's development we can refine how the engine performs and tweak it if necessary.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 08:43:51 am »
So what's the current filesize then?
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 08:48:22 am »
Looks like this is well thought out, good work.
I'd completely forgotten about the octorok map system. Wasn't there a program that made the maps? I thought it was abandoned.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 08:52:29 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
So what's the current filesize then?

Source filesize is 78kb
EXE filesize is 1.10mb

Right now the EXE filesize is just about at the minimum GM allows, since even a blank project has a min if 1.07mb.

I estimate that the final engine size compiled will be approximately 1.15mb - 1.2mb, along with ~200kb of map files for OoTGB.

Looks like this is well thought out, good work.
I'd completely forgotten about the octorok map system. Wasn't there a program that made the maps? I thought it was abandoned.

Yup; initially the Octorok Map System was a GB room designer made in VB6 along with a dynamic room loader in GM, but at the time I was having GM issues and couldn't finish the loader (or make it load fast at all...). Currently I'm using ORE (by Xfixium) to design rooms, and utilizing the Bin files it exports to. It goes incredibly fast, so each room loads seamlessly. I might eventually change that to a custom room designer, since the engine isn't tied directly to ORE's format. I could also include the option to change how pureLA reads map files, allowing the user to use multiple room tools if they'd like.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 09:08:39 am by Mamoruanime »
Re: pureLA Engine and OoTGB
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 11:20:06 am »
  • My Other Drug is Triforce.
This is some remarkable stuff, I've always love the GB graphics and gameplay, so this is bound to turn up great!
to zelda
sweet as nutella
  • Skymist

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 03:28:15 pm »
  • Colbydude was here.
I'm having trouble cramming detail into the 8x16 for items ;X!
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art

Ryuza

That one guy
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 03:46:36 pm »
  • RyuKage2007
awesome work so far, can't wait to see more :)
<- Koholint Island - MC Style  <- Link's Awakening Photo Recolors  <- Wind Waker 3D Resources <- Super Mario Bros Crossover
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 06:34:42 pm »
  • Master Of Disaster
Sounds great! Can't wait to see what you guys can get done. I put pretty much faith in this one. :P

.TakaM was here
  • Lumeuni

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009, 07:06:43 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
As of right now I'm working on the inventory management system and getting something down that works nicely and quickly. GM's array limitations kinda suck though <_<;; so I'll be trying to steamline how items are stored and utilized in code.

I think I might release small chunks of pureLA, perhaps individual systems for testing. I'm multitasking right now and working on each individual one dialy piece by piece :p

Xfixium has also sent me the latest build to GMare, so I may work on making some maps in that to test functionality and possibly implementing more of it's features to pureLA.

(BTW It looks nice so far Xfixium :p Just need to be able to export multiple rooms to 1 bin :P)

EDIT:

I think I'm also going to be 1-scripting a lot of the initialization scripts... Using constants for easy (or easier) use of them as well... For example-

scrInitMap(); is a single script used to initialize the map. scrUpdateMap(); is another script used.

I could expand on that, add an argument to that for differentiation between events. This way the user isn't going through a bazillion scripts to get what they want done. Constants like "Create" (0), "Step" (1), and "Draw" (2) would make it easier. So you would call "scrInitMap(Create)" for the initialization, "scrInitMap(Step)" for the step, etc.

This would also be the standard for some pre-coded objects as well.

Honestly I think that just makes it easier on the user in the long run. *awaits input*
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 10:01:35 am by Mamoruanime »
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 05:15:13 pm »
holy cheese this looks amazing, hmm about the tiles, I LOVE the colours, BUT! the red looks to bright compared with the other green tones.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2009, 08:33:38 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
holy cheese this looks amazing, hmm about the tiles, I LOVE the colours, BUT! the red looks to bright compared with the other green tones.

The red is standard amongst the tilesets in OoS, which is what I'm basing the forest tileset off of (and probably most of the game)... Tis not my palette. I personally like the contrast :s

ALSO it's too early in that development to care about it XD
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 74 queries.

anything