Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: [demo] First Person Shooter  (Read 9384 times)

[demo] First Person Shooter
« on: August 22, 2009, 02:48:21 am »
  • Lionfish App dev
Hey all. I've noticed some people have been using Unity to make their WIP games on here. That's great! I don't know if it's because my influence somehow spread through the internets to these people, or just that Unity got really popular after becoming available for Windows, or some combination of the above. Anyways, I just thought I'd show you my latest project to remind you who's the current Unity champ of ZFGC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJvhvp6equw

UPDATE: The Physics Playground map is now available for download as a single-player demo. Enjoy!

http://www.wanilla.net/random/fpsdemo/FPS_Test_Universal.zip - Mac Build (Universal)
http://www.wanilla.net/random/fpsdemo/FPSTest.zip - Windows Build
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 03:52:20 am by Moldorma »
  • Lionfish Apps

Ryan

The only Canadian?
Re: [trailer] First Person Shooter
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 02:52:12 am »
This looks nice so far.
I'd say add some fire effect when the gun shoots and add an arm to the gun.
I know it's just a test video but still. ;)
Keep up the good work!
  • Likes to Ramble
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 03:23:13 am »
  • Lionfish App dev
By "fire effect" do you mean muzzle flash? If so, it's there, but it might be hard to see due to the video quality. An arm is planned for down the line.

Also, thank you!
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 04:22:20 am »
So this is what you've been up to? It's definitely a step foward from where you were at.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 04:26:10 am »
  • :D
By "fire effect" do you mean muzzle flash? If so, it's there, but it might be hard to see due to the video quality. An arm is planned for down the line.

Also, thank you!

He might mean an animation-- the gun recoiling after shooting.  

I've got to say it looks pretty good.  Nice youtube video :)

Question: Did you make all those graphics yourself?
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 04:46:09 am »
  • Lionfish App dev
Ah, that's not a bad idea either, although the P90 isn't big on recoil. Thanks for the compliments, and as for the graphics, I modeled the P90, the house, and the rock from scratch; I sculpted the island with the Unity terrain engine. The terrain textures and the trees are stock Unity though, but Unity Tech includes them free for use in endeavors commercial or otherwise, so hey.

Then again, I'm not using that island in the actual game, so that probably won't even be an issue.
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 04:58:07 am »
  • :D
Ah, that's not a bad idea either, although the P90 isn't big on recoil. Thanks for the compliments, and as for the graphics, I modeled the P90, the house, and the rock from scratch; I sculpted the island with the Unity terrain engine. The terrain textures and the trees are stock Unity though, but Unity Tech includes them free for use in endeavors commercial or otherwise, so hey.

Then again, I'm not using that island in the actual game, so that probably won't even be an issue.
Don't get me wrong, I see no problem using already-made resources if they're available to you.  And nice p90 model, pretty accurately made :)

How difficult is it to program using unity? You (and your brother) are the people who I've seen use it the most; would it be difficult to use for somebody like me, who doesn't have a lot of programming experience? (a little python, a little ruby).  And how easy is it to use your own resources: models, animations, textures, etc.

EDIT: Also, the biggest downside I've seen from videos of unity games is that when doing 3d projects the framerate is often low-- is this a unity issue, an issue with the games themselves, or a computer-hardware issue?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 04:59:59 am by a Hint of Lime »
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 05:02:56 am »
  • Lionfish App dev
I wouldn't say it's easy, but it has a nice smooth learning curve. You figure out the basics really quickly, and the more advanced stuff gets progressively harder to grasp.

If you know Python, you might write scripts in Boo (one of the three languages that Unity has syntax for), but I've never even seen a single example written in Boo. You'll probably be using Javascript, which is fine, because every piece of javascript is pretty well documented, with lots of examples and stuff.

Using your own resources is really easy, just import them and then drag them into the scene. Rigging, animations, materials, textures, etc you set up in your 3d modeling program carry over into Unity. You can actually even use script to dynamically animate your character's skeleton, or specific parts of it.

So.. yeah, I'd totally recommend it. It's a high-quality easy to use engine for a fair price, with a shockingly helpful community.

EDIT: Videos of Unity games? Like the ones on my Youtube page, right? That's probably just my video recorder slowing down my already not-so-great computer. I've played good looking Unity games with 60+ fps framerates. There are lots of ways you can optimize a Unity project for faster loading and smoother gameplay. Unity even has a stats monitor that lets you see stuff like how many draw-calls you have in real time.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 05:05:27 am by Moldorma »
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 05:16:57 am »
Not a bad little tech demo type thing at all, looks pretty cool

Good luck

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 09:03:01 am »
great work, looking forward to playing a demo of this sometime
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 09:42:25 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev

I've been adding arms. :) This model/texture is 100% mine, but I'm actually not 100% happy with it yet, so I'm still fiddling with it. Anyways, the rigging and animation for it is golden, so that's good.
Accompanying these arms is recoil while firing the gun, a rest animation, and raising the gun when too close to a wall.

EDIT: I've been working on the arms. I made the fingers less fat, and I added sleeves for a more natural look when looking down sights (and just for detail purposes).

« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 11:24:00 pm by Moldorma »
  • Lionfish Apps

Ryan

The only Canadian?
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 01:34:29 am »
Ah the arms aren't looking too bad.
What I meant by fire effect is a muzzle flash.
Recoil would be good also.
Keep working on it.
  • Likes to Ramble
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 04:22:20 am »
  • Lionfish App dev
Like I said, I have muzzle flash (you might not have noticed it due to the video quality), and I now have recoil, so we're all good. :P Thank you.
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 09:36:56 am »
Problem I have is with perspective. Why would you hold a machine gun with your left hand on the right side of the screen. Makes it seem non-centered.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 09:45:09 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
^

I think that's his left hand bracing the gun, and his right hand is still holding the trigger. Problem is that it looks like it's a really short guy trying to hold a big gun; his arm is extended too tensely on the gun. It needs to be more relaxed.
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2009, 02:56:49 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
Actually, the left hand is on the trigger. I've looked at a lot of pictures of how to hold a P90, and that's how. I could have the gun on the left-hand side of the screen I guess.
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2009, 03:08:23 pm »
Correct way of holding a weapon dosen't mean its the way that looks best in a game.
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 04:49:24 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Correct way of holding a weapon dosen't mean its the way that looks best in a game.

This.  Look at the ar2 in Half-Life.  There's no left hand supporting the front of the gun.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2009, 08:55:56 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
I like how it looks this way, and it's a pain in the ass to change it, so I'm gonna just work on other stuff. :P

Clip size, and reloading for example. That's something that needs to be done. Now.
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2009, 02:40:28 am »
  • Lionfish App dev
Clips, Ammo, and Reloading are done and fully animated. Quick melee attack is animated and appears to work, but doesn't actually do anything. ;P

That's another thing. What the hell am I doing with this? Is it going to be multiplayer online, or have a story with a campaign? Definitely not both, or I'll never finish it in time. But give me your thoughts.
  • Lionfish Apps
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.468 seconds with 77 queries.