Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Path of Revelation [SOURCE]  (Read 82432 times)

FelipeD

Nothing...
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Path of Revelation
« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2011, 11:34:07 pm »
Dude... The trailer looks great so I downloaded the demo to try the game.
I've to point out that I agree with dlbrooks33 about the Link's sprites but just that.
Once I've tried the game I'll post my comments
Greetings!!

TDWP FTW

Forstride Productions
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2011, 12:22:12 am »
  • Forstride Productions
The trailer has somewhat old footage FYI.  The HUD has changed since then, graphics have improved slightly, etc.  I recommend either basing your judgement on the screenshots (It's usually better to do the opposite, but the footage in the trailer is quite old, from before the big NCFC update I made), or on the game itself of course.

As for Link's animations...Which ones?  I've noticed a few, and might've fixed them recently (The latest demo is quite old, and I won't be uploading a new one for a while).  I have to redo Link's right/left walking animation (It's cut short a few frames, and looks really jumpy), so yeah...

As for items being released from bushes/weeds, that's a cool idea.  Should be simple to do as well, so I'll try to implement it.  As for items being revamped, which ones?  Do you mean the icons, or the items in general?  If so, I'm not trying to make the gameplay fit LTTP.  I don't want to stay within the "limitations" of 2D, as there are many ways to work around it like I'm doing (For instance, the bow aiming, which was never in any 2D Zelda game).  The icons however, are either by TRM, or edits of his icons.  They look nice IMO, so I won't be changing them.

BTW, progress won't resume on the game until early next year.  I've been enjoying this break, and I've been able to gather some great ideas for the game as well.  I've started working on a little side project (Well, it's not that little anymore, as I've been putting a ton of effort into it) so I don't get rusty using GM, and for fun of course.  I've also been enjoy a lot of great games that have come out recently, specifically MW3 and SM3DL.  Not to mention, I'm going to be getting Mario Kart 7 at launch, and Skyrim for Christmas, so I'll be busy with those too.  :p
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 12:24:56 am by TDWP FTW »

TDWP FTW

Forstride Productions
« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2011, 04:55:05 am »
  • Forstride Productions
Hey guys, I made a little update today.  I uploaded the latest version of the game, which contains quite a few changes:

- High grass now waves (Animation)
 - Knockback from enemies has been removed
 - Sacred Stream no longer has exclusive grass/foliage coloring
 - New rain/snow overlay
 - New colors for autumn (Not as orange now)
 - Cuccos!  The AI for them is kind of wonky at the moment, but I'll be polishing it more eventually.
 - A few bugfixes.
 - A bunch of other stuff I can't really remember...

Download here
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 06:43:30 am by TDWP FTW »
« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2011, 06:01:38 pm »
I just downloaded it.
Games that I support:

Forums that I am a member of:

TDWP FTW

Forstride Productions
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2011, 12:07:26 pm »
  • Forstride Productions
I just downloaded it.
That's...Nice...?  Would be nice if you could give some feedback.

Anyway, I've been messing around with color schemes for autumn, as I just can't get it to look how I want it...Until now:

I'm trying to make the colors sort of like this one Zelda mockup I saw a while back.  I loved the color scheme in it, as it was sort of dark, yet relaxing, like how autumn is in real life.

In other news, I've been fine tuning certain parts of the engine, as well as some sprites.  It probably feels like I'm getting nothing done with the game, but between this and my other game, which I've put most of my focus on lately, it's as much as I can do.  And on top of that, it's kind of hard coming back and working on the game after a few months.  I forget what and where certain things are, what I need to add/fix/remove and whatnot.

I don't want to make any promises, but I'll try to get another demo out sometime in January, hopefully with the rest of the areas in the game mapped out.
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2011, 07:01:03 pm »
I just downloaded it.
That's...Nice...?  Would be nice if you could give some feedback.

You want feedback? Then I will give it to you.

When a Deku Baba knocked me back in the Hidden Path, I was stuck between the trees!
Games that I support:

« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2011, 08:22:35 pm »
He I tried the demo. It seems a potential good game. But there are a great number of things I found wrong, but these are the ones you should look at first:

1) Set up a decent movement mechanism with corner cutting and surface checking.

2) Lay down on the overlays and filters. It looks as if I am in a constant fog and the squinting of my eyes is tiring.

3) Graphics layering. Know what goes under Link and what goes over Link.

A minor annoyance I got, was in the attachement. I always get stuck in that door. No matter how long I wait before appraching it.

TDWP FTW

Forstride Productions
« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2011, 12:05:17 am »
  • Forstride Productions
@RetroRespecter: I didn't remove knockback properly (There were some lines of code that weren't removed, even though I did before...Must not have saved or something), but it's gone now.

@Niek:

Corner cutting as in, you can slide along walls and rounded surfaces?  I have that.

Surface checking? 

2) Lay down on the overlays and filters. It looks as if I am in a constant fog and the squinting of my eyes is tiring.

Yeah, I know.  The only way I could do it better is if I had the maps...mapped out.  Most of the scenery in the game are objects, such as trees, bushes, etc.  It wouldn't look as bad if there was some way to do a multiply blending (Like how in Photoshop or Paint.NET, you can select that for the layer).  But since there isn't, it makes it look foggy.

The graphics are layered...Mind pointing out the example(s) you're referring to?[/b[

A minor annoyance I got, was in the attachement. I always get stuck in that door. No matter how long I wait before appraching it.

I'm going to be redoing this dungeon completely, and that puzzle won't be in the revision.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 12:07:21 am by TDWP FTW »
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2011, 08:14:49 pm »

Corner cutting as in, you can slide along walls and rounded surfaces?  I have that.

Surface checking? 

See 1.png for lack of corner cutting. I am occasionally stuck behind objects. Surface checking see 3.png and with the invisible walls and doors you end up in 4.png.

The graphics are layered...Mind pointing out the example(s) you're referring to?
See attachement 2.png and 5.png

TDWP FTW

Forstride Productions
« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2011, 10:44:06 pm »
  • Forstride Productions
Ah, okay.  Corner cutting would be somewhat difficult to implement for me, but I'll try to look into it.

As for 3 and 4, I'm not sure why it did that.  It's never happened to me before...Maybe I messed something up in the code by accident.

2 is a problem I've know about, and I keep forgetting about it.  I tiled the house pretty awkwardly, but I'll get to that eventually.

5...I only see a problem with the one log being under the tree, so I'll remove that.
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2011, 03:47:57 am »
Did you upload the demo with these fixes?
Games that I support:

TDWP FTW

Forstride Productions
« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2011, 04:11:34 am »
  • Forstride Productions
Did you upload the demo with these fixes?
No, I didn't.  I've been busy with my other game today.

TDWP FTW

Forstride Productions
« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2011, 10:17:23 am »
  • Forstride Productions
Well, I have some bad news...

I think I'm going to stop development...For good...

Over the past year, I've focused so much on this game, only to have a handful of people even acknowledge it.  It's as if no one wants to give feedback, criticism, or even play the game, and it's been like that since I started working on it last year.

I see other fan games getting all kinds of attention.  People actually giving feedback, suggesting ideas, etc.  It honestly makes me sad to see how bad my game gets ignored.  Even after I won Best of Zelda in this years NCFC...I also see other fan games and just think "Wow, that looks so amazing.  How am I ever going to top that?"  The way I see it, developers within the fan game community have to try and make their game the best of the best.  I mean, who wouldn't?

After NCFC this year, I took a break to go work on other games...Original games.  I felt confident that no one would be able to make a better, or more "professional" fan game than I have.  Boy, was I wrong.  I planned on coming back after a week, but it turned into a much longer period of absence.  During this time, a few new fan games started progressing more, and even some new ones popped up.  Chiming Bells...The Midnight Radiance...Horn of Balance...

Chiming Bells: My main "enemy."  I don't know if King Tetiro felt the same, but I felt as if I was competing with his game, even after NCFC.  I'd go to the Game Maker Community and see people praising his game, whereas they had disliked mine a while back.  Of course, he deserves the praise.  He's been faithful to his game, and has developed his much further than mine.  He has a story, NPCs, actual game content, etc.

I started feeling like my fan game was dead.  So, I decided to start a new, original project.  I've always been pressured to create something original rather than a fan game.  And I must say, I have more freedom, a larger creative window, etc.

I've spent most of my time the past few weeks working on a new game of mine called Desertion.  I doubt that'll ever been completed either, but oh well...I've just lost my enthusiasm for game development in general, and it's only going to keep decreasing.

I'm not going to release the source, but I'll answer any questions regarding the story of the game, what I was going to add to the game, development, etc.

Antoligy

LE MONSTRE CHARMANT
« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2011, 11:25:32 am »
  • LE MONSTRE CHARMANT
Well, I have some bad news...

I think I'm going to stop development...For good...

Over the past year, I've focused so much on this game, only to have a handful of people even acknowledge it.  It's as if no one wants to give feedback, criticism, or even play the game, and it's been like that since I started working on it last year.

I see other fan games getting all kinds of attention.  People actually giving feedback, suggesting ideas, etc.  It honestly makes me sad to see how bad my game gets ignored.  Even after I won Best of Zelda in this years NCFC...I also see other fan games and just think "Wow, that looks so amazing.  How am I ever going to top that?"  The way I see it, developers within the fan game community have to try and make their game the best of the best.  I mean, who wouldn't?

After NCFC this year, I took a break to go work on other games...Original games.  I felt confident that no one would be able to make a better, or more "professional" fan game than I have.  Boy, was I wrong.  I planned on coming back after a week, but it turned into a much longer period of absence.  During this time, a few new fan games started progressing more, and even some new ones popped up.  Chiming Bells...The Midnight Radiance...Horn of Balance...

Chiming Bells: My main "enemy."  I don't know if King Tetiro felt the same, but I felt as if I was competing with his game, even after NCFC.  I'd go to the Game Maker Community and see people praising his game, whereas they had disliked mine a while back.  Of course, he deserves the praise.  He's been faithful to his game, and has developed his much further than mine.  He has a story, NPCs, actual game content, etc.

I started feeling like my fan game was dead.  So, I decided to start a new, original project.  I've always been pressured to create something original rather than a fan game.  And I must say, I have more freedom, a larger creative window, etc.

I've spent most of my time the past few weeks working on a new game of mine called Desertion.  I doubt that'll ever been completed either, but oh well...I've just lost my enthusiasm for game development in general, and it's only going to keep decreasing.

I'm not going to release the source, but I'll answer any questions regarding the story of the game, what I was going to add to the game, development, etc.
So, when's the next update coming out?
  • My Site
« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2011, 12:51:40 pm »
Too bad. You have decided that. But on this forum the feedback has always been little. Even after almost a year of being away it has not changed. I know that Tetiro has been working on Chimming Bells for a long time. He even had other projects beside that from which he learned a lot. And Horn of Balance has been here ever since I joined this forum. You should also consider that no feedback means that no one has anything to complain.

Do not despair. Your project has a lot of potential but that does mean you need a lot of patience and hard work even when no one appreciates it. Do know that if you love creating it and enjoy the game yourself others will notice it and enjoy it. You should make a game because you enjoy it and not to get adolation.

If you don't enjoy it then it is better to quit.

TDWP FTW

Forstride Productions
« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2011, 01:07:21 pm »
  • Forstride Productions
Do not despair.
Haha, I get it...Cause my game was originally called Thre- *shot*

But thanks for the words.  I'll consider re-evaluating my choice, but IDK.

I pretty much worked on this every day from December 2nd of last year, till June, just grinding development...It just burned me out, and I wanted to stop many times before this.  But I kept doing it, mainly for myself.  I tried to convince myself that I didn't care if no one liked the game, but in reality, I did care.

The main thing that's holding me back is programming.  I've been more interested in design as of the past few months, so I'll end up spending a while day touching up sprites, adding small details to areas in the game to make them look nicer, etc., rather than working on the actual, functioning part of the game.  It feels like a chore to code, and if I'm not enjoying the main part of development, it's pointless to keep grinding development.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2011, 01:53:44 pm »

Well I like to think of us as rival rather than enemies. Helps us compete to better each other lol It's the same with Horn of Balance. Thanks for the praise TWDP! I will always see it through til the very end! Ironically, the story has only just started. It's getting more interesting as the chapters progress.

Too bad. You have decided that. But on this forum the feedback has always been little. Even after almost a year of being away it has not changed. I know that Tetiro has been working on Chimming Bells for a long time. He even had other projects beside that from which he learned a lot. And Horn of Balance has been here ever since I joined this forum. You should also consider that no feedback means that no one has anything to complain.

Yup it's true. I've had alot of experience in the game development progress. Next may marks 8/9 years of game development to my calculations. Bit strange I get alot of feedback from this forum. Weird.

It's a shame to see one of my rivals end their project. Just means I need ass-whoop martijn in the league of best fan game then
  • Phoenix Heart

FelipeD

Nothing...
« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2011, 02:29:56 pm »
I totally agree with you!!

I think you're experimenting the tipical symptoms of ummmm... lack of ideas when you've come a long way in your project.
But, seriously, I think it would be a shame to see your project being one more of the long list of the unfinished Zelda fan games.
Perhaps you could take a few days or weeks, refresh your ideas and, then, get back to the work dude.
That's my advice

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2011, 02:39:05 pm »
I totally agree with you!!

I think you're experimenting the tipical symptoms of ummmm... lack of ideas when you've come a long way in your project.
But, seriously, I think it would be a shame to see your project being one more of the long list of the unfinished Zelda fan games.
Perhaps you could take a few days or weeks, refresh your ideas and, then, get back to the work dude.
That's my advice

I agree with newbie (jokes :P), take a few days or even a week off and I'm sure you'll be full of ideas. It would be a shame to see it on the unfinished pile. I took mine off the pile because I started to have great ideas. And now it's awesome! The best games come from time
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2011, 08:08:37 pm »
It's a shame to see one of my rivals end their project. Just means I need ass-whoop martijn in the league of best fan game then

Hold your horses there  :)

Personally I considered this project like the polar opposite to my own. In the sense that this game focuses a lot on graphical aspects (which got praise) whereas I focus heavily on the engine aspects. So I never really considered us rivals because that would not do any game justice. That being said I always liked the screenshots shown here.

If I may be so arogant as to give a bit of advice: I do not think it is wise to build a fangame solely for the praise, because that will run dry. Take it from someone who has been at it for a longer time: the more you add, the more people will take for granted. Well, in my case anyway because it looks a lot like the original. But I believe it is also true for fangames in general, if not all games. What you really need to finish a project is a strong drive from within. Like considering it a personal challenge, a hobby to tinker around with it or just taking pleasure from being able to build whatever you want to build.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 74 queries.