Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: unnamed project  (Read 3327 times)

unnamed project
« on: December 15, 2013, 01:30:42 pm »
Hello evrybody!

I'm PIXEL PIRATE and this topic is my first one on this forum! I will post here some of the sprite i'have made for my unnamed zelda fangame project. So it will be greatly appreciated if you ask me the permission to use my work!!!

[LINK]

[GORON]

Show content

For the moment I prefer to use a style more closer than cartoon zelda games than realistic ones. It is easier for animations and reduces the size of maps.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 01:47:13 pm by pixel_pirate »
Re: unnamed project
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 03:28:45 pm »
Looks kinda cool so far, glad to see some custom sprite styles around here. my only suggestion would be either to add shadows to the bottom of the characters, or maybe fix the feet on both of them. they seem a bit off to me.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 11:35:00 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Welcome to ZFGC, Pixel Pirate! :)

I like the sprites, but they really need more contrast, because the colors are blending together so much that the detail is blurry. A healthy dose of contrast is especially important with sprites and pixel art because losing just a little bit of detail often means the whole sprite is ruined.

btw, the stance that your adult Link sprite takes is very cool.
  • My Music
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 03:14:05 am »
First of all i would like to thank you for your advice!

> Whitay: Yes i'will try to add shadows in the game and mockup, but for the moment this sprite are only concept. And for feet, i try to do my best for the sprite look like wind waker cartoon style.

> FrozenFire : I agree with you. I have some difficulties to find or create a good palette when i make pixelart. I think one of the main difficulty concern your sheet's background. And can you show me some exemple of a good contrast?

In each line they all seem different, but they aren't! i work on the grey and green background
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 03:35:46 am »
I feel like the colors all are just very pale. In this small of art, there needs to be brighter and sort of better color choice. the outline is there i just think most of the progress needs to come in the form of color choice
EDIT: i threw together an example real quick to show what i mean. As i look even my colors are off and some look too fake and bright. but you want to find a good mix, as yours seem way too dulled down.
As to your second question, If you get the sprite to pop out and be standing out on it usually doesnt matter the background color, although usually you want to stay away from colors that are on your sprite or white/black. i usually go with purple.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 03:59:28 am by Whitay »
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 10:03:04 am »
I did some little modification.

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 12:14:54 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Well, I'm certainly no DJvenom or Sinkin, but I did a little edit (made a quick and kinda meh background for it just because):

In my experience, I've found that small sprites don't need a whole lot of colors, or at least not a lot of shades of each color. Having too many shades for a small sprite will make it blurry, losing definition. And when two colors are very close to each other, you can sometimes find a color in between them and combine the 2 colors to just 1. I did that on the hair and skin shadow color.

The 3 sprites, from left to right: Your original, my contrast edit and color merge (just the one color merge), made even more adjustments in an attempt to make the depth seem more correct and to further give it definition.

Obviously the edits are just examples and could still use some work. I'm sure that DJvenom, Sinkin, or Leduardo, could be of more help, as they are all much more experienced. I've still got a lot to learn, but I hope I helped regardless.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 12:29:55 pm by FrozenFire »
  • My Music
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 02:19:26 pm »
Ok! thanks for your exemples! So i try an other kind of shading, here is an exemple for goron link

is it better?
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 03:13:42 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Ok! thanks for your exemples! So i try an other kind of shading, here is an exemple for goron link

is it better?

Oh yes, very nice improvement!

I did a little more editing. I made the outlines one solid dark color this time around (before there were 3 or 4 blacks..?), and I also gave the same contrast+ treatment to neike60's modified version of your sprite.

1st = original, 2nd = my last final edit but with the single color outline, 3rd = neike60's modified version with contrast, 4th = my modification of neike60's modification (lol)

As far as outlines go: I understand that sometimes you don't want one solid outline color, and rarely do you ever want to use a total black (if ever) but with professional sprites I usually see a very dark grayish color or a very dark shade of the base color that it's outlining. Light source color and warmth from the environment are probably taken into consideration with professional stuff, among other things I have no clue about. I also have seen people do more fancy "broken" outlines. I believe those are called "Sel-out" (selective outlines), but getting that to look good across various backgrounds is something I have yet to really test out myself.

Anyway, I look forward to more. I had fun fooling around with your Link sprite. :P
  • My Music
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 11:08:58 pm »
A bigger modification.

Sinkin

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 08:56:31 pm »
  • Idk
Hi and welcome to ZFGC :)

You got some good improvement going on here I must say! But I have some crits for you. First thing, it's good that you start with small and not too complicated sprites, but don't be afraid to work with bigger ones. Since this is a pretty small sprite, it's not easy to put so much detail in it, which will make it look plain. Another thing is picking your palette, colors with less contrast and saturation is also a thing that can make a sprite look plain and hard to read. I don't know in what program you're making your sprites in, but I suggest that you try Photoshop. Photoshop have a great "Color Picker" and some really great "adjustment tools" to correct your saturation. I can't really give you any criticism on the sprites yet, since I don't so much to go on. But keep up with the spriting!

Love you too Frozen <3
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 01:14:18 pm by Sinkin »
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 06:31:06 am »
Thank you all for your advices and you exemples! i will try to improve my spriting skill and especially for shading and palette!
here is another exemples:

ZORA ARMOR

*I think i'need toto use more black outlines
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 63 queries.

anything