Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Down

Author Topic: [WIP] Crystalline River - Quick explanation from infini on last page  (Read 30853 times)

Re: [WIP] Crystalline River - Quick explanation ...
« Reply #280 on: October 06, 2007, 01:21:00 am »
Why don't you just make up a different game? Like, a completely different story and get people who will do !@#$% for free to work for you.
CR was too massive, and specially now that most people are busy with college and that stuff, people should prefer doing small projects, not massive ones. I agree with you, but take care on how you express what you think... you even used swear words.

Originality, even in the commercial industry, is severly lacking now or days.
QFT.

And if you do do this, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT start a topic right when you've start a project. I've been working on my game for over 6 months now and I haven't said anything except SECRET PROJECT.
How would they get artists without announcing their game?

(Not that CR was a phailure in the sense that it was bad, but rather it was too early to spill the beans).
In fact it was because they didn't manage to get the artists.

but I'm NOT making the same mistakes the 2nd(Or 5th >_>) time. So you shouldn't either! :D
I'd be doing it roughly the twentieth time... <_<
I've started about 20 RPGs and I only concluded 1 of them. But I only posted 1 of them (which I didn't finish) (note: minigames don't count here, I've completed about 50 minigames)

uma

« Reply #281 on: October 06, 2007, 01:42:06 am »
  • Ghosts can have Aliens too you know.
Maybe I'm just taking for granted that I can draw, sprite, compose and utilize the things I need effectively to make a game on my own...

I forget people usually can't do that.  :-[
Ghosts of Aliens
Entire project progress: About 20%

My FurAffinity!
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/umathefurry/
« Reply #282 on: October 06, 2007, 01:54:56 am »

Yeah... but you do that because you can do a bit everything. I can't! I can only program and make MIDIs... and depend on those **** spriters who have almost literally abondoned my project - [okay, enough of offtopic]

Yeah, I guess Infinitus feels the same... he can't even compose, all he can do is program... at least he had Q.K. to do the sounds and music, but he didn't manage to get good or responsible artists to work on CR.
« Reply #283 on: October 06, 2007, 08:02:28 am »
mrawr, stopping by yet again to answer these latest replies.

@uma: CR is dead. It's pretty damn unlikely we'll be able to start it up again. I also said that I'm considering getting some people to work for free, on a game "similar" to CR. Not CR, just similar. By similar I simply mean an RPG with a similar atmosphere to the game, possibly borrowing concepts from it.

As for the tone and atmosphere of the game... how do you even know what CR was like, it's not like it was finished lol. There were quite enough "non-serious" parts to satisfy even you, I'm sure.

And originality? CR might not have been terribly original, but the foundations were those of a 13 year olds random ideas 3 years ago. The concepts I've been working on since CR's death have sought in every possible sense to push the boundaries of originality.

As for you being able to draw/sprite, compose and do everything to complete your game alone... I doubt that lol. Well, so you might be able to pull that off with a certain level of decent quality, but you can't hope to achieve the same standard you get by hiring people who specialize in that area. First off I haven't even seen any of your spriting, and last time I checked your music honestly wasn't amazing. I'm not saying I'm any better! Just that there are quite a few people far better than any of us here. Regardless, I'm just stating an opinion, good luck with your secret project there.

Oh and for old time's sake - not that I have anything against you - !@#$% off uma. >__< (No, I'm kid, I kid. I don't mean to offend you)

@sjegtp: Helios can code damn well lol.  Without him this project would never have properly started. Although I'd like to clear up the fact that I didn't just write some music for him... CR was my project from the beginning, the concept, plot, characters, enemies, level layout and game mechanics. I was even doing the graphics before I managed to hire an artist. Artists that I spent time searching for, recruited, and paid out of my pocket for. Helios is a great guy, and a great coder; he's essential to the project if I ever want to have a chance, but I feel I'm always just getting downplayed as "the guy that wrote some music for Helios' game".

*sigh* if anything ever does come of the new game I'm planning I might let you guys know. :s you guys could probably care less though. XD

« Reply #284 on: October 06, 2007, 12:54:14 pm »
And originality? CR might not have been terribly original, but the foundations were those of a 13 year olds random ideas 3 years ago. The concepts I've been working on since CR's death have sought in every possible sense to push the boundaries of originality.
Seriously, Q.K., don't ever do that again. The base of an RPG is the story. What would've been of FF6 and FF7 if they didn't have a good story? Unless you have a very creative or innovative gameplay (as in Zelda or Metroid - but they aren't RPGs, they are action/adventure games), it's usually the story what calls peoples' attention. Maybe that's the reason for the lack of interest in Zelda fangames in ZFGC: the story is just basic in most of them, and almost all of them have the same gameplay.

The first thing I do when I make an RPG is to write the story. Then I usually give up the project because the story isn't good enough. Either because I realise that the story is too cliché or the project is way too massive or when I realize that there is a "hole" in the story that would make the rest of the story sound unreasonable. Only 4 of the stories that I wrote were worth making a game of. But I've noticed that programming RPGs is a bit boring, I prefer making more dynamic games such as action, platform or fighting games.

I feel I'm always just getting downplayed as "the guy that wrote some music for Helios' game".
Sorry about that -.-" I'd never have realized the game was yours, because Helios was the one who was always posting updates, info, screenshots, etc.. And he was the one who posted this topic too. I had noticed that it was you who made the updates about the story and the graphics though.
« Reply #285 on: October 06, 2007, 01:18:37 pm »
Yeh I guess its my fault that QK didn't get as much notice, as I was doing the programming I had access to all the most recent developments so I tended to post the updates. But yes QK is right, it was his game - I just do the programming :P.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 46 queries.

anything