Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Legend of Korra  (Read 3758 times)

The Legend of Korra
« on: June 23, 2012, 10:04:58 pm »
So I don't know how many of you have been keeping up with this series, but it is the sequel to Avatar: The Last Airbender. It has just finished its first series.... and I really can't spoil the ending for those of you who have not watched it yet.

if you haven't its awesome, go watch, and stop reading this topic now as I am going to ask questions which might get responses that ruin it.

So, what did every think to the series as a whole, or the last episode?
  • Elliott Parkinson

Twilight Alchemist

State Alchemist
Re: The Legend of Korra
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 10:11:47 pm »

So, what did every think to the series as a whole, or the last episode?
In a word...
Show content
AWESOMENESS!!!!
(>'.')> <('.')> <('.'<) <(  )>
"Oh! The Rock of Death, my mortal enemy! I'll deal with you later rock." Later "Oh! Rock of Death! We meet again. Well this time things will go differently, cause I'm not five years old any more, AND THERE IS NO BANANA!" - ???
My PZE account: http://zeldaengine.net/user-112.html
If you're going to be Mr. FMA over here,
Shadow of Termina spriter
http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39913.0
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 11:14:19 pm »
Spoiler:
I really love this serie it has the charm, yet I dislike how she recovers all her powers in a minute, that was really odd, I mean they could easily add more into that than she just getting it, perhaps going with the guru in the temple that helps aang to unlock his avatar control, them who knows how Amon got his powers, maybe in the library buried from Aang, but who knows, I was expecting to see Korra trying to find out more about that perhaps in season 2 :P.

Also did anyone found it weird that no spirit has appeared at all?

appart from that I really enjoyed it must watch if you like Aang's serie.

DaSpirit

The Quiet
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 02:03:54 am »
  • The Mad Programmer.
I loved the show! But...
Show content
I disliked the ending. I think it would've been cooler if Amon lived and Korra was stuck with her air bending and had to relearn all of her other bendings in the next season. I mean - this chapter was called Air, what will the others be? I don't think that avatars learn the special bending (lightning, metal, etc), so I don't think it could be that. I still want to know what happened to Zuko.

Still looking forward to next season! Hopefully, it will have as much plot twists as this one!
I support:
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 02:53:13 am »
It is sometimes difficult to not judge it too harshly in comparison to the original Avatar: The Last Airbender. It is like the amount of episodes in season one being as short, the ways which apparently the books in the story are going to be self-contained units rather than arcs of the larger story, and they reference the past series for existing fans which newer fans might not understand or which might seem forced to the point of making the new characters seem like who cares.

And like there are parts of the story which get resolved quickly or the plot advances to the point of erasing the effects of something and/or taking away the consequences - bending away then back again, Asami/Mako/Korra relationship triangle forcing where Asami pretty much gets emotionally pooped on, Korra caught/released or Korra wanting to face Amon alone getting whooped feeling bad about then last episode again wanting to face him on her own.

Otherwise though I really liked the Legend of Korra, it and look forward to a season two - I just have no idea where they are going to go next with it they do (my earlier paragraphs might seem like I am being overly negative but hopefully if and by season two they'll have those kinks worked out). DADADADADADA CIRCUS, AFRO-CIRCUS POKKA DOT POKKA DOT CIRCUS.
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 03:41:09 am »
I liked season 1 and the season finale. Though:

Show content
she mastered Avatar state way too fast lol. Now she's pretty unstoppable
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 03:48:12 am by FISSURE »

Twilight Alchemist

State Alchemist
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 04:00:07 am »

Show content

Show content
She hasn't, She only learned how to Energybend, and gained access to the Avatar State.

Plus:
Show content
Stopping the Avatar State during its reflexive use might not represent mastery of the Avatar State but rather the ability to harness the Avatar State's power momentarily and enter into and exit the State at will more freely. Aang stopped the state himself a few times throughout the first series, initially at the Southern Air Temple upon soothing words from Katara, as well as in "The Storm" when his tattoos only briefly glowed. He did it again in "The Desert" when he realized he had nearly taken his wrath out upon Katara. The Promise Part 1 supports this, as Aang enters the Avatar State when Zuko starts to act like Ozai, snapping out of it when Katara reminded him he could do things he would later regret.
(>'.')> <('.')> <('.'<) <(  )>
"Oh! The Rock of Death, my mortal enemy! I'll deal with you later rock." Later "Oh! Rock of Death! We meet again. Well this time things will go differently, cause I'm not five years old any more, AND THERE IS NO BANANA!" - ???
My PZE account: http://zeldaengine.net/user-112.html
If you're going to be Mr. FMA over here,
Shadow of Termina spriter
http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39913.0
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 04:19:02 am »

Show content

Show content
She hasn't, She only learned how to Energybend, and gained access to the Avatar State.

Plus:
Show content
Stopping the Avatar State during its reflexive use might not represent mastery of the Avatar State but rather the ability to harness the Avatar State's power momentarily and enter into and exit the State at will more freely. Aang stopped the state himself a few times throughout the first series, initially at the Southern Air Temple upon soothing words from Katara, as well as in "The Storm" when his tattoos only briefly glowed. He did it again in "The Desert" when he realized he had nearly taken his wrath out upon Katara. The Promise Part 1 supports this, as Aang enters the Avatar State when Zuko starts to act like Ozai, snapping out of it when Katara reminded him he could do things he would later regret.

Show content
Except she enters the avatar state, restores lin's bending, and exit's avatar state easily without anyones help, she's pretty much mastered it

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 03:22:44 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
Show content
I have to agree with fissure here.  Initially Aang had very little control over when he went into and out of the Avatar state.  Katara was pretty much the only one who could get through to him when he was in the Avatar state, yet Korra has perfect control the day after she first learned the Avatar state...  Why didn't they make here visit the spirit world to speak to Aang?  I also agree that they could have done a lot more than they did before she got the powers back...  Also it never explained why the two brothers could blood bend without a full moon.  It did say that bending was very strong in their bloodline, but that isn't enough of an answer for me.  Unfortunately I think these problems are a result of simply not having enough screen time to develop the concepts in full.  Seriously...  Both seasons of TLOK combined barley add up to one season of The Last Airbender.  I guess they did quite well with what they had though.  So I did like the series, but with the way they ended the first season, season 2 will basically have to start from scratch.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 03:27:20 pm by Aero88 »

DaSpirit

The Quiet
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 07:53:23 pm »
  • The Mad Programmer.
The series was originally planned to be a mini-series. It wasn't until they finished it, that Nick told them to make more episodes. They only started story boarding season 2 right now.
I support:
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 01:22:29 am »
The series was originally planned to be a mini-series. It wasn't until they finished it, that Nick told them to make more episodes. They only started story boarding season 2 right now.

Yeah but they kind of wrote themselves into a corner with the finale

Show content
Aang was pretty much unstoppable in his avatar state, even bloodbending couldn't touch him when yakone went for. It just doesn't seem like the next big bad will even be a match for Avatar State korra.

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 02:14:29 am »
  • ...---^^^---...
Show content
Aang was pretty much unstoppable in his avatar state, even bloodbending couldn't touch him when yakone went for. It just doesn't seem like the next big bad will even be a match for Avatar State korra.

True again. 
Show content
Also I just realized that I am also confused about Korra learning air bending...  For starters it never really went in to why she couldn't learn air bending.  It barley even mentioned it, but to top it off it also didn't explain why Amon taking away her bending made her be able to air bend.  That doesn't make much sense to me.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 09:59:10 am »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
Show content
Simple. She said it herself earlier in the finale; she hated all that being patient stuff. She took pride at being a great firebender, at being the Avatar. And being patient is a big part of airbending. One has to be calm and centered. When she lost her connection to the other elements, she lost the pride she had at using them. She became humbled, no longer feeling like she was special, like she was still the Avatar.

Note that early on in the season, when she was learning to Airbend, she couldn't be patient and tried rushing through the part. When she mastered the airbending maneuver in the Probending match to avoid attacks, it was because she focused on the motions and was calm. More often than not her brashness led her to use firebending. Quick, easy, lethal.

Amon didn't take away her bending, he just severed her connection to the elements she had mastered. Her airbending was still a possibility considering she hadn't mastered that at all and Amon couldn't access that part.

So all in all, losing the elements she prided herself on let her become humble when she saw she couldn't use them anymore. It was this humility that helped her airbend.

Also Book 2 is already in animation; the storyboarding is done.

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios

thestig

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 02:39:17 pm »
Show content
To start off, I am loving this new series. The finale really didn't strike problematic to me. It makes sense. When she lost her bending powers initially, she gained connection to her former past lives. Aang acknowledges this when he speaks with Korra. So she's essentially in the same place Aang was at the beginning of The Last Airbender. (My theory could be wrong in regards to trying to explain why she can air bend) And when Amon took Korra's "bending away", this is a lot like what happened to Aang when he lost his connection to the Avatars in Book 2. He regained the connection during his showdown against the Firelord in Book 3, though. I'm just saying, that's no different than Korra re-establishing connections to the elements when she energy bends.

Also, Aero88, they did explain it in one of the first episodes. It was her personality that prevented her from learning Air Bending effectively. You can see this is true as she improves her abilities in her training later on when she learns to have patience.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 11:09:01 am »
in regards to amon's method of removing bending:
Show content

How Amon Removed Bending (It’s a real Chinese technique that many believe in)

When placing his thumb on the center of the forehead, Amon was aiming for the hundred-meetings acupoint (shown above, circled in red). This is a central gateway and nexus for chi. Bending relies on chi flowing through the bender’s body. The idea of this technique is to send chi through the acupoints the wrong way and damage the veins and energy channels. This could be forced with bloodbending. The hundred-meetings acupoint is connected to all the important points through the chi paths, so it is the best spot to cause massive damage.

It is said that a divine doctor can cure internal injuries and restore one’s martial arts power. The injured person could also practice a special, high level skill to regain his inner power. Bryke obviously made the Avatar the parallel to this, as Korra was able to look inside herself to restore her own bending, and she had the ability to restore other’s bending as well.

Interesting, huh?

• Mirby Studios

thestig

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 06:49:16 pm »
Wow, that is interesting. Nice find!
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 03:00:40 pm »
Awesome find Mirby, well worth reading :). In other news, MIRBY!! Haven't seen you in like ages, we need to catch up on msn again :).
  • Elliott Parkinson

Crim

Super Special Awesome
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 09:15:34 pm »
  • I'm Pro!
show was great, but as others said, ending maybe not so much.. well, the amon part. the bending part was good.
  • Crim is Pro!

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 08:24:05 am »
Awesome find Mirby, well worth reading :). In other news, MIRBY!! Haven't seen you in like ages, we need to catch up on msn again :).
yeah if i ever get around to opening it again XD

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2012, 03:29:02 am »
http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/07/11/legend-of-korra-second-season/

The official news is out, in addition to there being upcoming episodes for Book 2, 26 additional episodes have gotten approval (Books 3 and 4). After the conclusion of Book 1 it is kind of unclear as to where they are going to go from there but how with all the available episodes hopefully they have a deeper more enveloping plot!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 78 queries.