Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: [ABANDONED - All data released] Spirit's Quest  (Read 49968 times)

Ryuza

That one guy
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Spirit's Quest
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2010, 02:28:00 pm »
  • RyuKage2007
Well, I'm glad I could help out so much FF :). The complete palette's looking pretty good. I had a few ideas about controls too, what about this set-up (I'll bold the changes):
Quote from: New Controls Idea
[Left/Right] = Look/Move in direction, double tap to run
[Up] = Look up; climb up.
[Down] = Look down; climb down, examine

[1(H)] = Weapon 1 Button (default - Sword)
[2(J)] = Weapon 2 Button (default - Shield)
[3(U)] = Sprite's Item Button
[4(K)] = Jump button

[5(Space)] = Menu button
I was thinking something like the GB games where you could change equipment for two weapon slots, or maybe have one set button for sword and a changable slot with the shield as a default equip for that slot. What do you think?

Also, heres small modification of the rupee sprite, I think yours looks fine as is though, but if you were to have different rupee sizes with various value then these might work:

Anyway, let me know if you think of anything I might be able to help with.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 02:36:29 pm by Ryuza »
<- Koholint Island - MC Style  <- Link's Awakening Photo Recolors  <- Wind Waker 3D Resources <- Super Mario Bros Crossover
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2010, 10:22:41 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Thanks for the thoughts on controls and especially for those rupees Ryuza! I will have many sizes and colors of rupees in this game, so I'm sure I'll find use for all 3 of them.

As for controls: I've planned to have the sword and shield act as one item, meaning that they are not going to be separate items. I did this for a few reasons: One of the best reasons was to keep Link's sprites and image index at a smaller number. Meaning, less complexity and overall less hassle. Another reason is because of how I plan to have the game's mechanics work with the battles; I think the gameplay value should benefit from keeping the sword and shield together. I also have another reason that I don't want to reveal and so spoil. Another thing: I want the sword and shield to be equipped at all times because of how action-focused the game is planned to be. This also means that there will be a button that is reserved only for the sword and shield.

Furthermore, I've decided that running was unnecessary because Link's walking speed will be good enough and areas will be designed accordingly to keep the player from feeling like "GAHH!! Can't this idiot go any faster?!", but I took your suggestion of double-tapping and used that as the "quick" modifier. Much better that way IMO.

So this is what I came up with (I didn't list any in-air actions and I left out a few spoilers, but the core controls and some others are here):

THE 5 BUTTONS (excluding arrow keys):

[1] = Sword and shield button.
[2] = Link's item button (also for grab/throw/push/pull).
[3] = Sprite's item button.
[4] = Jump button.
[5] = Inventory/Menu screen.

MOVEMENT AND LOOKING ACTIONS:

[L/R] = Look/Move in direction.
[Up] = Look up. Climb up.
[Down] = Look down. Climb down.

GROUND ACTIONS:

Sword actions:
[L/R] + [1] = Slash.
[L-L/R-R] + [1] = Stab.
[L-L/R-R] + [1] + {BEING CLOSE BEHIND CERTAIN ENEMIES} = Assassinate.
[Up] + [1] = Lunge.
[Down-Down] + [1] = Spin.

Defensive actions:
[L-L/R-R] + [4] = Dodge (used to get behind enemies or to dodge away from their attacks).
[Down] + [1] = Defend w/shield.

When next to a pushable/pullable object:
[2] = Grab object.
[2] + [L/R] = Push/Pull object.

When next to a pickup-able object (e.g. a pot):
[2] = Pick up object.

While holding an object in hand:
[2] = Set object down.
[2] + [L/R] = Throw object.
[2] + [L-L/R-R] = Throw object REALLY hard.

Other:
[Down] = Examine (i.e. enter doorways, open chests, pick up objects, etc).

The only problem that I see with this is that Link will not be able to use items when he's by an object that he can pick up or grab onto. Instead of using his item (bow, bombs, boomerang, etc), he'd interact with the object. Still, I think it would work okay. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Quote from: H*R
I SAID GOOD GRAPHICS!!!

Here is a concept sprite of Timmy the Wizzrobe, the main bad guy of the game:

Btw, I REALLY want to avoid using the name "Timmy", so I would like a name suggestion. I was going for something funny-stupid, because the idea is for the player not to take him so seriously. He's a comic relief bad guy, not a Ganon/Ganondorf bad guy. Also, he is demented (but in a funny way, not a horror flick way), which will be obvious in the way that he speaks.

That should be enough info if anyone wants to blurt out a name or two that sounds fitting for the look and personality.
*thinks of a "funny" Zelda character and what his name would be like if he were demented..*
.. I could call him Tangle! Did I just have a stroke of genius??... hmm?

And something to show the new direction with trees:

I know that the background sucks, but that's because it's temporary. Also, I've got the branches figured out, but my first attempt at making leaves ended up looking more like ivy than bushy tree leaves. I'll have to try again later. Tree's are irritatingly difficult to make look right! I'll have to find some side-scrollers that have forests and study their design. Can anyone point me in the right direction by giving me some screens or videos?

I really want to move this to WIP, but I don't want to move it without having the basic platforming physics in the programming process (I'm still busy working on the pre-programming process because this is where a lot of the game has to come together).

Btw, I was planning on releasing various engine tests, like a View Engine Test, Item Test, Physics Test, etc, but I realized that it's pointless to do things is this manner, so I'll just be releasing the SQ Engine as a whole and I'll update it's version as I add new scripts and stuff. When I have enough of the engine coded, I will make the first demo. Btw, the reason why I'm working on tree's and stuff is because they will be used in the first demo, so I'm not really getting TOO ahead of myself. :P

Right now, I'm still trying to figure out the controls and and the HUD. I've been playing OoT and MM and various Zelda games to study how their HUDs work. Unfortunately, I've been taken in by MM and I can't stop playing, lol!

Anyway, even though I said I was going to move this to WIP a long time ago, I just don't feel like this is an official WIP until I actually have some platforming physics and a partially working character. I mean heck, that's the core of the game there.

I confess that I've been a bit lazy lately, but the past few weeks have been pretty energy draining. For one thing, work has sucked pretty hard. The president of the business came by a few days ago, so the boss made everyone work extra hard to impress. On top of that, just yesterday we had our quarterly evaluation, which meant extra hard work from everyone to impress the management supervisors. So, yeah, instead of working on this in my free time I slept and did some gaming to relax. I've also got to do a whole ton of house cleaning because my apartment is looking like a real bachelor pad, and that scares me because I'm a bit of a neat freak.

So, with AAALLLLLLL of that said, just know that I will keep working on this project, but I'm at a slow point in development right now where certain life things need to take priority over this.

.. sorry about the long post.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 10:27:48 pm by FrozenFire »
  • My Music

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2010, 10:28:27 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
No prob! I was excited to see new info! Seriously! I'm stoked for the new info! ^_^

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2010, 12:42:45 am »
I love everything about this game except the Wizrobe's name, so I'm glad you also would like a different name for him. I'll do my best to offer suggestions. You want him to be comic-relief but he can still have a good name.

I'm at a loss for ideas right now, but if I think of something I'll let you know. Just please for the love of God do not call you antagonist Timmy >_<
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2010, 03:59:42 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
... Just please for the love of God do not call you antagonist Timmy >_<

lol! Don't worry, I promise that it will be changed. It'd be a shame to ruin the game because of it.

What about "Tangle" though? I was sort of joking around at first, but it kind of fits. I mean, he's all "tangled" up in the head (he's crazy), and he's a pain in your @$$, just like Tingle! XD Ok, so I'm still joking around a bit...

Btw, I'm watching some gameplay vids of forest areas from various sidescrollers/platformers to see how the pros do it. Hopefully I'll get some ideas how pull off a good forest look.
  • My Music
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2010, 04:58:29 pm »
Tangle is a lot better but it might be too close to Tingle. How about Jangle :P
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2010, 05:31:18 pm »
Bit to plain. Why not have a two part name, like Bango Jango or Bore Zwiz.

The last one is an anagram :P

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2010, 06:56:36 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
Zobe Zwir?

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2010, 08:03:20 pm »
[L-L/R-R] + [4] = Dodge (used to get behind enemies or to dodge away from their attacks).
Doesn't that mean you won't be able to simultaneously run and jump?
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2010, 10:50:58 pm »
The name Tangle is actually growing on me. I'd just go with that. :P
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2010, 06:42:11 am »
Hmm, I just took another look at your wizzrobe, but I must say that I don't immediately recognize it as a wizzrobe. I would sooner gues it is a subrosian, if the explanation wasn't added.
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2010, 07:00:35 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Doesn't that mean you won't be able to simultaneously run and jump?

I decided to take out running, so no. I will quote myself to show you what I'm thinking now:
... Furthermore, I've decided that running was unnecessary because Link's walking speed will be good enough and areas will be designed accordingly to keep the player from feeling like "GAHH!! Can't this idiot go any faster?!", but I took your (Ryuza's) suggestion of double-tapping and used that as the "quick" modifier. Much better that way IMO. ...

After thinking about it, I really don't see why Tangle isn't a good name. Have any of the bad guys of Zelda's had two part names? There's Vaati, Ganon/Ganondorf, Veran, Onox, Bellum, etc. The only ones I can think of are the Skull Kid and Dark Link, but I wouldn't really consider those to be two part names. Anyway, I think I'll go with Tangle because it seems fitting and it's a hecka lot better than Timmy, lol.

Hmm, I just took another look at your wizzrobe, but I must say that I don't immediately recognize it as a wizzrobe. I would sooner gues it is a subrosian, if the explanation wasn't added.
Wizzrobes have gone through a few designs. I'm going for more of the older look. There's a good range of differences here:
http://www.zeldawiki.org/Wizzrobe

Of course, it is a concept sprite, so it's not the final product. If you have some ideas on how to make him look more like a Wizzrobe, just let me know what I should change.

EDIT:
I could give him a pointy wizard-like hat. Would that help?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 07:02:13 am by FrozenFire »
  • My Music
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2010, 07:37:45 am »
Wizzrobes have gone through a few designs. I'm going for more of the older look. There's a good range of differences here:
http://www.zeldawiki.org/Wizzrobe

Of course, it is a concept sprite, so it's not the final product. If you have some ideas on how to make him look more like a Wizzrobe, just let me know what I should change.

EDIT:
I could give him a pointy wizard-like hat. Would that help?
Making a pointy hat would work or a pointy hood. Make the end of the sleeves a bit wider and the inside look like a mini black void (minus the hands if you decide to make hands).

If Tangle is floating, then you could make the bottom of his robe look more pointy/ragged as if parts were torn away. But that is more of a personal preference.
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2010, 12:40:28 pm »
  • Master Of Disaster
Looking awesome so far. I'm liking the graphics, though they could be a bit bigger.
I actually think you have what it takes to finish this game. And that's a rare thing here :P

.TakaM was here
  • Lumeuni

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2010, 01:23:46 pm »
Looking awesome so far. I'm liking the graphics, though they could be a bit bigger.
I actually think you have what it takes to finish this game. And that's a rare thing here :P
It's the cave story style tompel. Cave story sprites are all 16x16 things
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2010, 10:05:04 pm »
  • You heard of the thing from the place with stuff?
Woot Now this is the final PotM! (For this mounth. :P)
Sorry, I can't think of a more interesting sig. > .>
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2010, 05:53:49 am »
Congratulations with your (puts up a MK voice) "Flawless Victory".
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2010, 10:56:56 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
It's the cave story style tompel. Cave story sprites are all 16x16 things

Thanks tompel, and yep, Cave Story graphics are 16x16. At least, the original ones are, and that's my main graphical inspiration.

Woot Now this is the final PotM! (For this mounth. :P)
Congratulations with your (puts up a MK voice) "Flawless Victory".

Thanks to everyone for getting Spirit's Quest the PotM! This means I need to find time to work on the game.  D: ?!

In case no one has noticed: I haven't been on ZFGC for almost a month, which is a long time away for me, lol. To keep from being dramatic, I'll just say that life is crazier than ever right now (literally), so the game has been put on hold for a little while. I just can't afford the time for it. I feel bad because I haven't been doing much as a mod lately either, and I apologize to 4Sword and my fellow mods for that.

I can't say when I'll be back, but I WILL be back, and so will my game. I'll try REALLY hard to get some good stuff to share for the PotM.
  • My Music
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2011, 09:11:03 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
HUZZAH!!
Ok, so Spirit's Quest is going again.

The project has been lying around for nearly a year and I just recently picked it up again, so don't expect to hear that I've got a ton of new content, because I don't.
I mean, yeah, I have done a bit more tweaking and brainstorming on items, enemies, and a few other things, so this isn't exactly all the new stuff, but as far as the actual engine goes, it is:

What I have here is a "nearly-complete" basic physics test... hey, it's gotta start somewhere, right?

In the screenshot, that yellow object on the right side is the player detection mask. It probably goes without saying, but all the gray is solid and the blue is just background. XD

Right now the player goes up and down all angles and hills as long as they are not steeper than 45 degrees. To put it differently, the character stops if there is a 2-pixel high bump, which is exactly what I'm going for. The player jumps and gravity works perfect. There is acceleration and friction at work. In the air, I made it so that friction is non-existent because it gives a more natural feeling of being airborne (Cave Story does this as well).
Things I still need to do are make the head (sides of his head) actually collide with the walls, which I've studied how Cave Story deals with the whole "small body, incredibly HUGE head" thing and it's really simple, so no problems there. Another simple thing I need to do is allow for jump height variation according to how long you hold the jump button (done it before, not hard). Simple stuff like that. The only thing I'm a little lost on atm is that the head bumping on the ceiling is still slightly jerky, so I gotta take a look at that, but I'm sure it's just going to take a focused look at the code for me to figure it out.

Once the basic stuff is done, then it get's really hard with stairways and ice, which I'm totally looking forward to coding! *note the sarcasm* :P

That is all for now. Sorry that the update isn't anything special, I just wanted to make sure everyone knew that Spirit's Quest wasn't dead. The next update will likely include a video, if not a testable physics demo so you guys can feel it out for yourself and attempt to break it.

EDIT:
And I already fixed the head bumping glitch. It's smooth as butter now. But it's about 1:40am now so I'd better grab some sleep dang it.

EDIT x 2:
Basic physics test is now done! I just need to clean up my code and revise comments.

After that, here are my next steps for the advanced physics engine:
- Add drop-through* platforms.
- Add drop-through stairs.
- Add ice with speed increases going down slopes and speed reductions going up slopes.
- Add moving drop-through platforms that are able to move in any direction.
- Add liquid (water, lava).
- Add muck (sinking sand, swamp water).
- Add climbable.

*Platforms that you can land on, but you can also hold down and the jump button to drop off of them.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 07:05:41 am by Frozen炎 »
  • My Music
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2011, 02:34:21 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
I like. I like!  May I make a suggestion dealing with Ice?  If I were you I would put a friction variable in a parent object for all ground objects.  This would be the standard friction when you are on normal ground.  When you are on top of a given ground object, you would call that ground objects friction variable and adjust your characters movement accordingly, then all you have to do is lower that variable in the Ice Ground Object (a child of the standard ground object), and wha la!  You have ice, you could even make a more sticky platform by creating a child with increased friction.  I have yet to try this myself.  I actually wish I did this in my Smash Bros Game, but I didn't think of it until after the fact...  Oh well....  Maybe you already have a system that works well for you though???  No matter I am sure it will turn out very nice!

edit:  Welcome back by the way!  XD
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 02:36:52 pm by Aero88 »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 94 queries.