Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Comunity Speak + Off Topic  (Read 6504 times)

Re: Comunity Speak + Off Topic
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2006, 07:42:38 pm »
I honestly don't see anything wrong with merging the two. I read all of the comments and you guys were saying things like 'community speak is for personal issues, off-topic is for anything that doesn't go anywhere else'

I don't get it.. What dose it matter? If we just had a 'General Discussion' board to house both, close to the heart personal matters, and general chat that doesn't really have to do with anything (your daily life). What would be the problem? I can't grasp how exactly this would be bad for us. It would be so much easier then having two seperate forums I have to check for practically the same content. I mean, Community Speak, isn't really all that active at the moment anyways. Why not just merge the both of them, and then put a child bord in there like SC said for the following;
-"Hello"
-"I'm leaving for good. I'm SUPER CEREAL this time!!"
-"I'm back"

What would be the problem if people discussed their life, and random things in our world today, just as a community, you know 'general discussion about anything not zelda or fan-game related. Is it hurting anybody if there is a topic about somebody joining the military, along side a topic about video editing software? They are both just generalized as general discussion. Why break them up into seperate boards? It just wastes mroe time browsing between the boards. It is cleaner, and more simpleized if we just have Ganeral Discussion that sums up both off topic matters and community speak matters.

There really isn't any extremly logical reason why we shouldnt do it other then wanting to catagorize 'everything' and not cut down on the index crowding. Would anybody care that much if they had to check one simply labled "General Discussion" board for all general discussion between members, about members, the community, life, and anything not zelda or fan game related? Rather then wo very similar boards about almost the same things? Where in one people don't take things as seriously becasue for some reason they automaticly generalize it as spam.

It's sensable if you ask me. I think it's agreat idea to merge them. And completly agree with what SC said right above me. If you merged the two and added that child bord for all of those intro, leaveing, coming back topics to keep them out of the general discussion. That would only benifate us, and be less confusing for people just looking for generl discussion about anything not spam.
We may be human. But we're still animals.

Limey

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2006, 02:23:51 am »
Fine, we could probably merge them.  And make a board called the "Hellos and goodbyes' Forum ;)
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2006, 02:32:58 am »
The problem with Off Topic is that nobody can tell if anything is going on there.  The overuse of the Spam section makes it so the most recent post for the Off Topic board is always from the Spam section.  Considering that the most recent displayed topics at the bottom of the screen only shows the five most recent posts, there is little if almost no chance of anything from Off Topic able to be seen.  A lot of the time, if there is anything, it probably has to be moved to Spam anyway.

So, I do not think that the boards should merge.  They would ruin each other if they were fused; how would you like your topic about your whole family dieing in a horrible car crash being replaced with a topic about something that is of a completely different spectrum.  As I have said, if there was less board confusion and cover-up, then there would not be this discussion.
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2006, 02:38:06 am »
The problem with Off Topic is that nobody can tell if anything is going on there.  The overuse of the Spam section makes it so the most recent post for the Off Topic board is always from the Spam section.  Considering that the most recent displayed topics at the bottom of the screen only shows the five most recent posts, there is little if almost no chance of anything from Off Topic able to be seen.  A lot of the time, if there is anything, it probably has to be moved to Spam anyway.

So, I do not think that the boards should merge.  They would ruin each other if they were fused; how would you like your topic about your whole family dieing in a horrible car crash being replaced with a topic about something that is of a completely different spectrum.  As I have said, if there was less board confusion and cover-up, then there would not be this discussion.
But off topic isn't suppose to be spam and such. I don't t hink it would really ruin CS at all. Maybe if you look at it in its current sence it might seem that way. But if they wre merged and just became a kickback place for all general chat, personal life, jobs, school, the world, and anything non zelda related then what is the problem. I mean, you are better off making a specific board for personal family issues and then having a merged general discussion then what we have at the moment. And I mean, it wouldn't be that drasticly different would it? It would still feel like community speak. It wouldn't feel spammy. People just make that assumtion and get that feeling because the spam baord is within off-topic. So things aren't really taken serious. Whereas with general chat everything would be taken more serious as they are in CS. And people can still go to the seperate spam board to goof off.
We may be human. But we're still animals.
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2006, 03:02:01 am »
I never said that Off Topic was Spam, I only said that it is overshadowed by Spam and is thus avoided.  There should be options in one's user profile to avoid boards all-together.  Some people do not want to see the board Spam or view it on the board index sometimes; it makes some people feel stupid for coming here.

I guess that they would be find merged now, but it would be awkward for a while.  People still do not fully know that Off Topic exists.  I know this, because I either see spammy posts in Off Topic or serious posts in Spam.  Anyway, do whatever; my opinions really do not matter here anyway.

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2006, 03:06:04 am »
  • Huzzowee!
You're proposing the same as what's at DSR, right? I don't like that. All of the serious topics get hidden behind the joke-ish ones that are not quite spam, but completely unimportant. The merged section does, in fact, almost feel spammy and nothing like CS. There is a difference between CS and Ot, a large one at that, it's just up to the users' common sense and discretion to be able to determine that difference. Should that fail, the moderators' discretino is called upon. When I was still a g-mod, I moved a couple of topics from CS to OT, as did other mods. The sections are completely different and they ought to remain separate. If needed, I can convert that other post I made into a sticky topic that goes into both section, describing the sort of content that belongs within.

CS is for serious, more personal topics.

OT is for any topic that is serious, or maybe not, but has a point and doesn't belong in any other section. Sort of lke CS, but not personal

Spam is for anything without a point.
"They say 'Don't sweat the little things!', but in the end, the little things are all that matter..."
--Alex2539
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2006, 01:45:38 pm »
...Ok, but then YOU write up the exact guidelines for topics in CS and OT

For example
http://www.zfgc.com/index.php/topic,2651.0.html

This one also could have been put in Community Speak. So it doesnt matter when a Community Speak topic is posted in Off-Topic, but if an Off-Topic one is posted is CS it is?

And there are always topics that are more serious than others, even in CS or Off-Topic.

Anyway, do whatever; my opinions really do not matter here anyway.
Actually, they do...thats why I post it here, instead of in the Mod board. I like input from members.

Well I see some people find it a good idea and some don't. Well why dont we just try it out for one week. And it it turns out to really be bad we could move it back.
But I didnt see anyone against making a Zelda board :D So can I make that now? ^_^
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 48 queries.

anything