Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Shuriken/ item ideas  (Read 8055 times)

Re: Shruiken?
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2007, 09:47:28 pm »
  • *whistle*
Checked Wiki... they have origins in China, Italy, and South America....

So, yeah. By no means only American.
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2007, 10:38:06 pm »
  • [sic]
*Shuriken.

And, no. They're too un-Zeldaish. If you notice, 95% of all Zelda items are either a) Medieval or themed to the game (e.g. sea themed for WW)  or b) magic.

Shuriken are neither.
Or c) modern/ridiculous, like bombs or Hookshots. :P

1. Bombs the style of Zelda are vaguely historically themed. Especially with the fuse style of the bomb...
2. There's no way you can explain the hookshot without saying "magic" at some point. Also, they're vaguely medieval styled in terms of aesthetics, even if not the functional properties.
Yes, sort of, and with the bombs, it's really just time-frame. Zelda is obviously not set in any time in our world, but also obviously Mediaeval themed, where bombs were basically non-existant.
And, the hookshot, well, it's obviously inexplicable, thus it would fall under "ridiculous" in my book. I would not include magic in describing it at all, i would simply describe it as being fictional. That's all that needs to be said, really. However, ninja-type combat is not at all similar to the world Link lives in, and would be out of place. Shuriken would suck.
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2007, 11:48:24 pm »

So seeing that, you see not all Zelda items are medevil. Its not as if the Hyrulians couldn't make some, it is just a weight metal star. My friend made one out of paper and some staples.
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2007, 11:50:46 pm »
  • *whistle*

So seeing that, you see not all Zelda items are medevil. Its not as if the Hyrulians couldn't make some, it is just a weight metal star. My friend made one out of paper and some staples.

It's a REALLY OLD INSTRUMENT. Of course they would have had it in medieval times...
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2007, 11:52:14 pm »

It's a REALLY OLD INSTRUMENT. Of course they would have had it in medieval times...
And shuriken are REALLY OLD WEAPONS, its just that it was in Japan.
Re: Shuriken?
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2007, 11:54:05 pm »
  • *whistle*
Yes. And they were never traditional use in Europe. And that's the thing - Zelda is based on EUROPEAN traditions. Medieval customs, old pagan religions, and European myths and legends. It's as far removed from asian customs as can be, for the most part.

There are some thematic similarities with asian traditions... but this does not show itself in an absolute way, like through an item, or a major storyline point.
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2007, 11:58:55 pm »
You just said the ocarina partly came from China. Though this is true about European influence, it isn't impossible there are some small things in the games that don't come from European culture, why not one more.
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2007, 12:01:26 am »
  • *whistle*
You just said the ocarina partly came from China. Though this is true about European influence, it isn't impossible there are some small things in the games that don't come from European culture, why not one more.

That's a single origin of the instrument. Can you understand that the instrument has at least 3, completely seperate, unrelated origins?

One's European.

And shuriken have no European origin at all. They're purely Japanese.
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2007, 12:02:30 am »
I actually do not care wich weapon they put in it. Aslong it fits with the rest I'm fine with it.
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2007, 12:40:55 am »
  • Shunner of Light
I don't see the reason why Zelda games should strictly be mideivil.  Just look at TWW, or MM, or LA.
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2007, 12:48:49 am »
  • *whistle*
I don't see the reason why Zelda games should strictly be mideivil.  Just look at TWW, or MM, or LA.

They're still predominantly medieval. Token efforts are made in WW towards a slight difference in culture, but that is more the setting - the sea - rather than the land. Still mainly European, still mainly medieval.

MM didn't really break the medieval theme, they just toyed with it a great deal.

LA was technically uncanonical anyway... it's all a dream, remember?
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2007, 01:26:53 am »
  • Shunner of Light

They're still predominantly medieval. Token efforts are made in WW towards a slight difference in culture, but that is more the setting - the sea - rather than the land. Still mainly European, still mainly medieval.

MM didn't really break the medieval theme, they just toyed with it a great deal.

Even if it is just a "dream", that doesn't make much of a difference in what the creators are doing with the series.  Especialy since TP will be the last Zelda game of its kind. 
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2007, 01:56:31 am »
  • Lionfish App dev

It isn't that Zelda games can't have references, items, etc... from other cultures. Hell, the Triforce design itself is from ancient Japan! All that we're trying to get across is that Shuriken just don't fit in with the theme of a Zelda game whatsoever. Link isn't the kind of guy who throws those things. Maybe someone could make a fangame where everything was based on fuedal Japan instead of Medieval Europe, but until that time Shuriken=No.
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2007, 02:32:16 am »

It isn't that Zelda games can't have references, items, etc... from other cultures. Hell, the Triforce design itself is from ancient Japan! All that we're trying to get across is that Shuriken just don't fit in with the theme of a Zelda game whatsoever. Link isn't the kind of guy who throws those things. Maybe someone could make a fangame where everything was based on fuedal Japan instead of Medieval Europe, but until that time Shuriken=No.
Link throws the boomerang. And for the rest, you just contradicted yourself.
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2007, 02:55:35 am »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
a link ninja!!!! awesome!!!  now we have to rename everything in the game and call it something ninja-ish.

now, if there was a section of a zelda game where you fight ninjas, and in this zelda game you could pick up weapons the enemy had.  then i would say,"hey, go for it".  but i hope there are never ninjas in a zelda game because 1) it wouldn't feel zelda-y and 2) ninjas would probably be hard enemies.

on the topic of them saying tp was the last traditional type zelda game, i think it might be cool to see something like final fantasy where they kind of two different times and settings going on in the games.  with ff 6, 7, and 8 being kind of futuristic but the first five were set in a fantasy world of long ago.
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2007, 11:21:08 am »
  • =/
*Shuriken.

And, no. They're too un-Zeldaish. If you notice, 95% of all Zelda items are either a) Medieval or themed to the game (e.g. sea themed for WW)  or b) magic.

Shuriken are neither.
Or c) modern/ridiculous, like bombs or Hookshots. :P

2. There's no way you can explain the hookshot without saying "magic" at some point. Also, they're vaguely medieval styled in terms of aesthetics, even if not the functional properties.

Not really:

Quote from: Wikipedia

A hookshot is a device used to pull the wielder to a different location, for example, across large gaps or to a higher elevation, although it can also pull distant objects towards oneself. It usually consists of a grappling hook launched from a gun-like firearm. The hooked end can catch onto a stable edge and then the user can "reel in" the line, though this sometimes is an automated feature. The hookshot has appeared in many video games, though is best known for its use in the Legend Of Zelda series of videogames.

Even if it is just a "dream", that doesn't make much of a difference in what the creators are doing with the series.  Especialy since TP will be the last Zelda game of its kind. 
You do know that that was just a mention to the control scheme, right? (When TP was still in GC.) Phantom Hourglass is a normal Legend of Zelda game except the controls and it is coming out after TP.

Linky628

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2007, 07:17:54 am »
My fangame,TLOZ:Hero of Time has throwing disks,with blades attached,and there kind of simular to shuriken!

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2007, 02:23:13 am »
  • Silly cat!
Boomarang=Magical and Childish
The Boomerang has Australian origins, silly D:. 'Twas not some idea of "magic" or "children", it came from my home ;-;...

Anyway, you're all being silly. Although the Legend of Zelda series has always been predominantly a medieval fantasy in terms of culture, architecture, creatures, landscape and of course, tools and items, the series does throw a lot of other cultural influences into account. Asian, Australia, African and South American, they all appear somewhere throughout the series. For example, the Shiekah are often referred to as a tribe of skilled shadow ninjas. The Garos from Majora's Mask also had some ninja associated weapons and movements. I could go on, but it's the Ninja that this topic is related to.

Ninjas do appear throughout Zelda, so it wouldn't make too much sense not to find shuriken in on one of the games. The aforementioned Boomerang has an Aboriginal background, but no part of the franchise actually relates to anything Australian. Through this, the shuriken wouldn't at all feel out of place in the Zelda universe. However, from a gameplay standpoint, the shuriken are pathetic. They're just projectiles -- they'd work like arrows, basically. They don't do anything completely different to items you'd already receive. Unless of course, Nintendo found some sort of interesting twist for these items... which is possible. Nintendo do have creative minds, so it's likely that they could find some unique use for shuriken, like firing a certain number at the same time to hit switches that need to be hit simultaneously. Or something.

One more point I'd like to make is that Nintendo do like to throw other cultures into the series. The best example is the Wind Waker -- you were a sailor. 'Nuff said. You took on different cultures other than medieval sword-fighting and horse-riding. In the beginning of Twilight Princess, you were a wrangler and a farmhand... With the risk of becoming too much like Naruto, Nintendo could easily have a game where Link is brought up in more an Asian Hyrule, in which is raised to be a ninja. Sounds silly, of course, but considering the way Nintendo pulled off Wind Waker, I don't doubt that whatever game that uses these cultural influences could still be a Zelda game at heart.

Hoffy.
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2007, 04:17:27 am »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
one of those super large shurikens(like from naruto) that link throws, but is able to control its flight path. kind of like the magical boomerang in the oracle games, except it doesn't come back unless you want it too.  that'd be nice to play with.
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2007, 04:43:19 am »
  • Shunner of Light
Or it could replace the Bombchus/Bomblings.  I hated not being able to determine their paths(although they helped me take out some Dinalfoes in the Cave of Ordeals).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 94 queries.