Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: If Zelda NES was coop...  (Read 1653 times)

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
If Zelda NES was coop...
« on: September 15, 2010, 03:45:20 am »
The scenario is that Zelda NES was remade to support four player coop in the singleplayer setting. You can join a TON of games online, with several different people. How would you manage the saving aspect?

Note: This is a *somewhat* hypothetical question.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
Re: If Zelda NES was coop...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 03:47:37 am »
Do something like Diablo 2.
Save what has already been accomplished(Triforce pieces obtained) to each individual person's machine.
The pieces that are left to be obtained to "end-game" so to speak, are based upon the person who created the game.

Simple and effective.
If someone needs pieces, have them create the game instead.
You need a lobby system in place that shows how many pieces have been obtained in the current game.
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 05:29:15 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Do something like Diablo 2.
Save what has already been accomplished(Triforce pieces obtained) to each individual person's machine.
The pieces that are left to be obtained to "end-game" so to speak, are based upon the person who created the game.

Simple and effective.
If someone needs pieces, have them create the game instead.
You need a lobby system in place that shows how many pieces have been obtained in the current game.

That's not really how Diablo II does it for multiplayer :P Only in "Open" realms, and those aren't standard. Diablo II saves your data every time your character changes; be it inventory or progress, and it saves it to whichever server you're connected to. This prevents players from hecking their data.

If you're making a multiplayer Zelda game, I suggest saving your player data on a website of some sort to prevent unfair advantages by other players.

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 05:31:08 pm »
  • Xiphirx
I never liked how you join a game, get rushed when you don't want to, and can't undo the changes in Diablo II (yes I know there are games called "plz rush me!11" but it happens in other "normal" games too :/). I would go further and try to match the players based on their progress. Other than that, you can have an open realm for whatever people want, but the saves would still be serverside for it.
  • For The Swarm

Jeod

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 05:39:06 pm »
How did Infini and Zidane do it? I had thought of just saving the items a player gets and not saving the Triforce pieces. That way, each game, everyone has to start from dungeon 1. The catch is that if you've done a playthrough already, you'll have all the items and it'll be easier for you. But the new guy over there might not have any items. He won't be able to equip any of the ones you have until one of you finds them again.

On second thought this method sounds kinda gay...

What about not saving anything? The game would probably take much less time to complete with more than one player.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 05:42:53 pm by TiffTuff »
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 08:58:41 pm »
  • Xiphirx
Not saving any progress means there little to no point in the game...
  • For The Swarm

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 10:18:29 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
How did Infini and Zidane do it? I had thought of just saving the items a player gets and not saving the Triforce pieces. That way, each game, everyone has to start from dungeon 1. The catch is that if you've done a playthrough already, you'll have all the items and it'll be easier for you. But the new guy over there might not have any items. He won't be able to equip any of the ones you have until one of you finds them again.

On second thought this method sounds kinda gay...

What about not saving anything? The game would probably take much less time to complete with more than one player.

Infini set it up to where it's 1 account. You can essentially think of the 4 link's as one :p Progress is saved as a group. At least; that's how it appears like it was planned. I don't recall any saving going on at all.

Jeod

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 10:23:26 pm »
You mean like a server/website where everyone makes an account and forms groups?

>Leader makes an account, starts a group
>Friend joins the group via invite
>Server stored account information, makes a game file for the group

That sounds pretty cool.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 51 queries.

anything