Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for Feedback - Crystal System  (Read 1654 times)

Looking for Feedback - Crystal System
« on: September 11, 2010, 01:20:49 am »
Now, I don't have any code down in the game yet, but it is all written down on paper.

Here's the basis of my Crystal System for my Final Fantasy fan game:
After a certain point in the game, your character can equip one crystal at a time.  The crystal will add abilities,stats,etc. to the character it is equipped on.  There are several different types of crystals:

~Ability/Skill
These add an ability for the character to use.  Such as a Black Magic Level 1 crystal would add the ability for that character to use level 1 Black Magic.

~Add Effect
These add effects to the Attack command.  Such as Mug would have your character(Zidane) steal when he attacks.  Double Slash would have your character attack twice.

~Level Ups
These add a permanent stat increase per character level up if that crystal is equipped during level up.  Such as, Strength +1 would permanently add 1 strength to the character if the crystal is equipped when the character gains a new level.

~Passive Increases
These add a percentage increase on stats overall.  Such as, HP+ 10% would add an overall 10% increase to max base HP.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After each battle, crystal points are earned.  These automatically go to the crystal that is equipped on each character.  Virtually, every crystal can gain a new level once it's crystal points have been maxed for it's current level.  Such as a Vitality +1 crystal levels up so then it becomes Vitality +2 and the crystal points reset to let that crystal gain an entirely new level.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Each character will have ability points each to his level.
Every time a crystal levels up on a character, that character permanently knows the previous ability of the crystal.  Such as HP+ 10% gains a new level, the character will permanently know HP+ 10%.  The player will then use the available ability points to equip that ability to himself.  Different kinds of abilities will require different amounts of AP.

This would allow characters with a Strength+ 2, HP+ 30%, and Vitality+ 1 abilities equipped while he has a White Magic Level 5 crystal equipped in his crystal slot.

When a crystal levels up, it only levels up for the person it is equipped on.  So, say you have HP+ 10% on Tidus, and it levels up.  Only Tidus will gain the new +20% from the crystal.  If you move it to another character, it goes back to 10% unless they have already learned +10%.

tl;dr
Think FF6 Esper System + FF7 Materia + FF9 Ability System

I think if I can do it properly, it would allow for some pretty in-depth character development with attributes.
What do you guys think?
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
Re: Looking for Feedback - Crystal System
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 01:38:58 am »
That looks epic! I would definitely play a FF game with that system. It seems simple yet unique.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page

Bludleef

Forum Dragon
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 01:45:30 am »
  • Everybody's Gotta Eat.
seems well thought out good job!

SOME LINKS
 -> Bludsoft Productions
  • Bludsoft
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 02:19:57 am »
  • d(-_-)b
The level up type crystals are a little bit weird for me, how will I able to increase stats and black magic at same time, for example? In most FF games the stats are increased based on the character job.
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 02:30:45 am »
The level up type crystals are a little bit weird for me, how will I able to increase stats and black magic at same time, for example? In most FF games the stats are increased based on the character job.
Only if that game is Pre-FF6(not including Tactics and X-2)

It's easy.  You get a crystal, say, Strength+.  Level it up once.  Equip the Strength+ 1 ability using ability points, then equip whatever magic crystal you want to progress with.

So with ability points, you can have anything quipped, as long as you have enough points.

You also gain stats per level up based on some algorithms I wrote.  The crystals just add to that effect.
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 07:12:07 am »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
Sounds good to me; it's logical and should work out quite well.

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 07:34:36 am »
Seems like a good system, but what I am wondering about is how do you gain crystals. Because crystals do not run out and are a permanent item in the game I assume there are only a limited number in the game. Thus how do you get them? Is there a salesman where you can buy them as they become available, or are they all available once the saleman is available. Do you get the crystals from major enemies, like you would get potions, herbs and other trinkets? Are they prizes to be won in dungeons/caves or something? Or are they presented to you by NPCs when you have accomplished a part of the story.

Are they all available at once and is it up to the player to decide when to get which crystal. Which would also coincide with how you would prevent the player from getting them all at once early on in the game? Or is the order in which they become available determined at random when the game begins? Or are they chosen at random when one becomes available? Or are they hardcoded in the game, which begs the question how you would spread them over the game?

What are the limitations, advantages and disadvantages. A player could have one crystal and assign it to one character throughout the game. For example you could get a major permanent HP boost when you would get that crystal early in the game and have Cloud hold it all the time. Or if you get four of them you would give them all to each a character and ignore the other stats. Have you thought about events that would be advantage when some one has developed a certain skill with the crystals and at the same time disadvantage for another skill. For example have an enemy that has a base defence and an added defence based on the amount of HP the characters have, whose attack is based on the amount of HP of the characters. But the enemy has a serious weakness against healing magic and the better developed the healing magic is the weaker the enemy will be against it. And then you can have an enemy that thrives on the development of your healing magic and you can better have a shitload of HP. And also what are the limitations of a crystal, when is it maxed out. Or would you allow your characters to have 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 of HP at a certain point in the game while your monsters are still at a level of 10,000 HP. And you do equal amounts of damage to each other, the characters would waltz all over the enemy.

I think if I can do it properly, it would allow for some pretty in-depth character development with attributes.
What do you guys think?
Oh yes, your system looks great and has a lot of potential for in-depth character development. But doing it properly is how your system ties in with the rest of the game. How do you promote the rotation of the crystals and are there limitations and a limited number of each crystal. I hope this is some good food for thought.
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 11:16:33 am »
Well, yeah, there are limitations.

Standard 9999HP and 999MP cap you see in many Final Fantasy games.
Highest level is 99. So if you left a strength+ on Cloud the max level is +3 for the strength crystal so the highest strength bonus if you got it at level one would be 99 x 3.

Magic Crystals only go to level 8.  Pretty standard with Black/White mage jobs.

There are more limitations, but I have to go to work.
Oh and you get crystals based on the story,not from vendors.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 54 queries.