Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IGN's new Wii article  (Read 1724 times)

IGN's new Wii article
« on: December 12, 2009, 09:54:01 pm »
http://wii.ign.com/articles/105/1054621p1.html

Probably one of the most accurate articles that parallels my own feelings I've read on the Wii. Good stuff :P

How does everyone here feel about the Wii now that it's been out for so long?
  • My Photostream
Re: IGN's new Wii article
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 10:39:29 pm »
  • CRUNCH! I'll add it to the heap!
Article was flawed (read massive rebuttal posted by linkfrek), but I do have some issues myself. Even though I don't find myself playing videogames as much as I used to, I still find myself wondering "Where is that Zelda game they were talking about since 2006"?
And now after years of mocking him the pretending he played a massive part in our lives when really we couldn't care less just to ease our consciounse over said mocking healing can begin <_<

It's Steve Irwin all over again.
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 11:21:18 pm »
I agree with a lot of what linkfrek because it's obvious that the author of the article picks a few choice titles and uses their lesser qualities to make his point, but I feel that the heart of his article is correct. I find myself, like you, playing videogames less and less as time goes on, but I haven't been even slightly interested in a Wii title since Twilight Princess. I do believe Nintendo relies on the Wii's "hook" just as many of the third party companies producing games for it do [And that goes for the DS as well]. Titles that he mentioned such as Animal Crossing City Folk and the new mario game as well as Spirit Tracks make no attempt at furthering gameplay or visual direction. For a company that has made its name on the likes of Mario and Zelda, you would think that more precaution and thought would be put into their sequels.
  • My Photostream
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 12:24:07 am »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
Girls are more likely to play as an ambiguously gendered toadstool thing than a guy to play as a girl...

Stellar

alert the feds
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 09:20:44 am »
Girls are more likely to play as an ambiguously gendered toadstool thing than a guy to play as a girl...
* Stellar points to the massive number of female characters in world of warcraft etc

on a side note, it appears i don't get to read linkfrek's original response due to its burial by other comments, but in any case i disagree with the way the article treats this as if it were a new phenomenon. nintendo has always made some cheap filler games to occupy sotfcore gamers between big stuff like mario, zelda, and smash
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 09:26:04 am by Stellar »
ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 02:00:59 pm »

Actually in Super Mario Bros 2 (US/EU) version I always played with the Princess, due to the floating. But I have mixed feelings with the article. From a hardcore gamer perspective who is a little bit reluctant towards the change Nintendo brought with the Wii, I can understand that Nintendo has become a bit disappointing.

-------------------------------------
But let me play Devil's Advocate for a bit. For the casual gamer perspective, all those hardcore games are frightening. The graphical pooha, and really extensive gameplay is way to much to take in and enjoy the game. From these guys I can understand that they would prefer the more simpler graphics and gameplay. Within 5 minutes they need to know what to do and how to enjoy the game. "RTFM" is an evil concept for them.

Although the hardcore gamers are the ones who made the industry, they are now the minority. And the big money does lie with the casual gamers. The article also accuses Nintendo for being a Big Business Company, but it completely forgets that Nintendo is a big business company. With the N64 and the Gamecube, Nintendo has lost a lot to the competitors. So much even that the Wii was actually a last desperate act for Nintendo to keep a foot on the ground as a console manufacturer. If the Wii had the same result as its predecessors, than Nintendo would have gone the way of Atari and SEGA. They would be third party game developers, having to do with the what the hardware manufacturers gave them.

Also most of those hardcore gamers had already made the transition from Nintendo to MS or Sony. Maybe buying the gamecube as a cheap 2nd console. But bought the Wii thinking it would be some great new thing for them. Well newsflash: the Wii became what it is because of all those new casual gamers and not the hardcore gamers. And the casual market is what Nintendo aimed at and not the hardcore gamer.

So concluding, does Nintendo have to throw away the business strategy that got them big money again, for the one that was going to a dead end as a hardware manufacturer. I think not.
-------------------------------------

So what is my opinion. I don't have the time, nor the money to buy every cool game. These days I maybe buy 2 to 3 games a year. So if the output is only 5 hardcore I don't mind. I can't play them all. Also Nintendo isn't the only developer. Third party developers are also coming with good games (and bad ones). The author of that article is not wrong about that Nintendo does seem to take the easy way out with some. But I do think that article is severely biased, and thus hard to take serious.
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 02:35:11 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"

I just wanted to pop in and say... WHA? I play with girls a lot. (erm..)

I almost always play as Peach in Smash Bros and also in the Mario Kart games. And Peach's floating is complete win in SMB2 btw. Even in Crash Bandicoot racing games I play as Coco, because her car usually feels best (and I can annoy the crap out of everyone ^_^).
  • My Music

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 02:47:14 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Article = exactly how I've felt about Nintendo for years.

I also don't get why Shigeru is *idolized* for his !@#$% "ideas".

Here's a way to explain any "new" game that's come out-

Shigeru: "I _______ as a kid and I loved doing it so much I decided to make a game about it."
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 04:02:03 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君
Shigeru: "I waggled my stick as a kid and I loved doing it so much I decided to make a game about it."

Back on topic-ish…  Girls don't play as Toad, they play as Mario.  Guys like Toad, girls like Mario.  These are scientific facts.
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 05:00:17 pm »
  • And if they dont dance, they're no friend of mine
I also don't get why Shigeru is *idolized* for his !@#$% "ideas".

Probably something to do with making some of the biggest video games series that exist. And for shaping the future of the video game world repeatedly. Im not saying he can do no wrong: Wii Music is a perfect example of that. But its not hard to see why he's so respected.

Art by Kyuumu, banner by me
Screw this, im off to Hogwarts...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 58 queries.