Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Pixelist - 22/04/06  (Read 6156 times)

Ben

Pixelist - 22/04/06
« on: April 22, 2006, 10:26:00 am »
Pixelist. A spriting programme. Pure and simple. Now suited for isometric pixelling with it's brand new snap to iso line tool :D.

Previously written in allegro, it has been rewritten for the c++ library wxwidgets, giving it a more native feel.

Feature List:
Line tool
Isometric Line tool (press shift during line tool)
Pencil tool
Zoom tools
Palette Editor
Change all colours of a certain colour (in palette) to another. Simply edit the colour which is in the palette.
Preview window.
Scrolling  (no bugs).
BMP saving.
PNG saving.
Image size changing, complete with placement of old image.

NB: I purposely made it so that it doesn't load or save to JPEG because nobody likes JPEGd sprites and loading JPEGs creates an absolutely massive palette of inaccuracies.

Download it here.

Soon to be added (Not necessarily in this order):
Animations (hopefully)
Palette Exporting
Grid
Clipboard functions.
Want a place to upload your sprites and games for FREE? Look no further than GameDevotion

Gilgamesh

Re: Pixelist - 22/04/06
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 10:55:01 am »
Good so far, yet certainly needs a lot more functions to be useful instead of MS Paint, for example.

Ben

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 11:00:23 am »
Did you read the feature list? It has things that paint doesn't have :).
And it's not designed to be a paint programme, but a pixelling programme.
In a way it is a cop out of work yes, but I don't know of any time when pixelling when you'd need a circle tool. A square maybe :S.
Want a place to upload your sprites and games for FREE? Look no further than GameDevotion

Gilgamesh

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 11:08:10 am »
Circle tool is quite handy really.

Ben

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 11:10:02 am »
Circle tool is quite handy really.

Fine, if you so desire.
The tools really aren't that hard to code. :-p It's the other stuff, like snapping to iso, that's a little annoying.

Lightz

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 03:39:52 pm »
As gilama w/e said (LOL change your name back  :P) You should think about added some more features that are native to paint and so forth. I do like some of the functions your got in there tho.

Ben

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 03:43:16 pm »
I added (but not uploaded) the rectangle tool, yey!
Fill could be useful, I'll do that next :-p.

Ben

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 03:53:22 pm »
Okay, Sol the second thing already exists. Right click on any colour in a palette and press edit colour. This'll change the colour.

And the centering thing is nice, but it's just annoying cause it adds LOADS onto the amount of calculations you have to do to figure out which part of the image your editing.
And I know why your complaining, because of the tool bars. Well I'll fix that :).
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 03:53:51 pm »
Please post a screenshot within one day or I will move this to Misc Ideas  :)

Ben

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 03:55:34 pm »
I'm all for the screenshot rule as it shows some progress, but a) it's not gonna be a virus, it's too bloody large and b) it's a paint programme there really isn't anything that interesting to see, it's the doing.
But if you want one, I'll do it later.
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2006, 04:09:36 pm »
  • Lul
I'm going to try it out, I remember that I had troubles installing the older version :P
This is going to be interesting n_n I'll add comments in this post when I have tried it (don't ask why I couldn't wait with the posting <__<).
bbs :P

Ben

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2006, 04:18:33 pm »
Lol, the uncompressed .exe is 2.1 meg, it's just silly that wxWidgets is that large.
Oh well....
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 08:07:59 pm »
One thing people would love is if when using the circle tool you may be adding if you could make that isometric also hehe.

I ♥ Open Girlfriend (What!? I didn't add this.. must have been Solly!)
  • My DevArt Account

Ben

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2006, 08:17:17 pm »
An isometric circle tool? As in height = width*2 or width = height * 2 type thing?

Limey

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2006, 08:23:58 pm »
This is pretty cool!  Though I suggest making it more similar to paint:  Just to make it more comfertable to use... The system seems a bit un-organized to me.  For example, have a pallete system like paint:  But keep the thing you have the tracks your pallete.  Also I really like the Iso line tool!  Though I don't like how if you try to draw a line up to the left edge for example, you can't finish it:  If you drag it past the edge, the line stops :(

It looks cool but still needs more I say... Also it'd be nicer if the image were in the MIDDLE of the frame instead of the upper left.  Though its cool :D

le sans visage

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2006, 10:57:40 am »
Why would you want a palette system like paint?
Here's a much better (and yes easy to use) one:

I even highlighted the most useful features. ;)

Fox

Turnbeutelvergesser since 1988.
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2006, 02:17:23 pm »
Looks pretty interesting, I'm going to check it out, facy.

On-topic. Your program sounds very good, I think you should start with having a complete Paint-engine (COMPLETELY alike) and start with the addons. Take alone the fact that you can only zoom in to 8 times. Pre-set. There is so much stuff to add, but you need an MS Paint-engine first.

Other than that, it's one of the best ideas I've seen around! Keep it up! :)
  • Me on deviantART

Ben

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2006, 04:08:52 pm »
That's a little more helpful "sans" :-p
A lot will be fairly hard to do, so more fun for me. But I must ask what does "Set palette transparency" do?

About the colour selection box. I'm currently just doing the normal wxWidgets/Windows one, and I don't want to just copy that one if I'm gonna do my own. Hue wheel definitely, and maybe I'd link it into the palette. Though as I said I'm gonna add the paette importing/exporting. Just got a bug with filling to deal with (wxWidgets fills stuff oddly).

And thanks for the praise people :)

shadow_caliber

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2006, 12:49:06 am »
Whoohoo for pallette exporting stupid MS Paint got rid of being able to save the pallette after windows 95 =( Anyway this is sounding better and better good luck with it.
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2006, 03:35:21 pm »
It's getting good. I hope it can get better than MS Paint...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 74 queries.

anything