Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: PS3 Marketing Discussion  (Read 4172 times)

Ben

PS3 Marketing Discussion
« on: May 21, 2006, 04:51:11 pm »
So how do you think they're gonna sell a product for 1000 aussie dollars?

Well lets do some of the work for them. Here's mine:

"Sell your soul.
 Buy a PS3."

Okay that's a little spammy, but in all seriousness how do they think it's gonna work? I was listening to a podcast this morning (1up) and they say that sony's of the attitude that they could practically sell 5 million units without making any games o_0
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 04:57:25 pm by Ben »
Want a place to upload your sprites and games for FREE? Look no further than GameDevotion

Pyru

Re: PS3 Marketing Discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 04:59:38 pm »
Focus on the non-gaming (read: Blu-ray) qualities of the console.

Ben

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 05:02:34 pm »
Which in the cheap version cannot be used properly...
Want a place to upload your sprites and games for FREE? Look no further than GameDevotion

Pyru

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 05:09:25 pm »

Meh. They're still there, hence the massive price tag. It's the only advantage of getting a PS3 over a 360 AND a Wii. (I don't get wiis, I take them. <_< >_>)

tippz

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 09:03:38 pm »
No there is absolutely no reason to buy a PS3 for an blu ray player if you buy the cheap console since it won't have HD output...
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 09:10:48 pm »
I don't care if I spend 500 dollars or so here in canada. I would pay 1000 for it if I had to. Playstation is the best thing ever created. I'm so excited to play rpgs on that beast :D
We may be human. But we're still animals.
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 09:50:13 am »
When I wont buy the Wii I would also go for PS3, their third party support is to die for.

Ben

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 10:47:34 am »
I don't care if I spend 500 dollars or so here in canada. I would pay 1000 for it if I had to. Playstation is the best thing ever created. I'm so excited to play rpgs on that beast :D

So you are in fact one of the proverbial 5 million that would buy one just cause it's a playstation?

Dayjo

shut the fuck up donny.
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 07:38:32 pm »
  • hungry..
The what version?
  • My Blog

Ben

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 07:45:30 pm »
Sorry.
*Which in the cheaper version cannot be used properly.
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 08:06:07 pm »

So you are in fact one of the proverbial 5 million that would buy one just cause it's a playstation?
Of course I would not buy it simply because it is a playstation. But playstation fits me like a glove. I am a die hard rpg fan, and thats like a staple diet for playstation for many years. I still game on my psone like never before. I'm not a huge fan of fps or other things, but I still like them, and I am still buying a Wii aswell becasue its freaking amazing. But I love the stuff sony puts out, and this new system will be so powerfull, not to mention it will allow me to play all o fmy favorite games for years and years to come. Why would I want to get anything else and not a ps3? If mainly the only types of games that I truly obsess over are those epic rpgs like final fantasy and so on.
We may be human. But we're still animals.

Pyru

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 08:29:51 pm »

Of course I would not buy it simply because it is a playstation. But playstation fits me like a glove. I am a die hard rpg fan, and thats like a staple diet for playstation for many years. I still game on my psone like never before. I'm not a huge fan of fps or other things, but I still like them, and I am still buying a Wii aswell becasue its freaking amazing. But I love the stuff sony puts out, and this new system will be so powerfull, not to mention it will allow me to play all o fmy favorite games for years and years to come. Why would I want to get anything else and not a ps3? If mainly the only types of games that I truly obsess over are those epic rpgs like final fantasy and so on.

Wow. Your first statement and everything after completely contradict each other.

I think you mean "Yes, I would buy it just because it says Sony on the box". :P

Seriously, though. Don't jump to any conclusions as to whether or not it's worth it yet. And it's a very bad idea to jump on the PS3 bandwagon from the start. That $600 price tag WILL come down.
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2006, 08:30:56 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
When I wont buy the Wii I would also go for PS3, their third party support is to die for.

majority of ps2 games (and i expect the same from ps3) are third party...i've never seen a sony-made game..

i love big weenies and i cannot lie

tippz

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2006, 12:45:32 am »
Actually, estimates are putting the manufacturing cost of the PS3 well over $600. That means you can probably expect $600 for a long time, any drops will be small and won't happen very often.

bran371

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2006, 12:50:59 am »
This is an honest question: Does Sony actually make games? Or do they just put out the consoles?

Limey

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 12:54:05 am »
This is an honest question: Does Sony actually make games? Or do they just put out the consoles?
I think they just produce games and put them on conoles, they don't design the games themselves.  Nintendo is a gaming company, sony is a hardware company.  Microsoft develops some of their games because they are a software company.

Pyru

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2006, 09:49:18 am »
Actually, estimates are putting the manufacturing cost of the PS3 well over $600. That means you can probably expect $600 for a long time, any drops will be small and won't happen very often.

Unless they want their sales to die after the proverbial "5 million", they will have to drop the price significantly.

All console manufacturers make a loss on the consoles themselves (interesting side fact here: Although manufactures make a loss on the hardware and retailers a profit in terms of consoles, with iPods, Apple makes a profit from the sale of the unit (I think) but retailers have to sell them at the price they buy them from Apple; which is actually below the cost per unit, meaning it's more expensive. Interesting differences, huh?); it's about getting the hardware inside consumer's homes. For Sony, this is worth double: Not only will there be the latest gen PS3 inside people's homes, there will also be a Blu-Ray player. They've invested so much in Blu-Ray, their only choice is to carry on pushing it.

So, yeah, they probably will drop the prices. They can afford to - they're profitable enough in other areas.
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2006, 10:13:20 am »
  • alastair
I think they just produce games and put them on conoles, they don't design the games themselves.  Nintendo is a gaming company, sony is a hardware company.  Microsoft develops some of their games because they are a software company.
With all 3 combined they could make the ultimate console.
  • alastair
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2006, 10:45:02 am »
That would rule if all three companies teamed up to make 1 ultimate console ^.^
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2006, 11:01:18 am »
I don't think them working together would work well. After all, Sony, and Nintendo did try working together to create the PlayStation. Sony's attempt was very successful the first time around, and wayyyyy successful the second time around.

In the end, the Ultimate console, between Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony, would be a large Computer/Media Center, with Zelda.

--

Getting back to the marketing subject. I think Sony will have to create an entirely different marketing idea. At this point, only their strongest fans are staying on board. The die hard PlayStation fans. We all know damn well, that the machine costs just way too much, for the average person. We have no clue where Blu-Ray will be going (Seems Sony doesn't either since they use DVD-R's in their Blu-Ray demos.). The system is entirely too 'chancey'. They had good 3rd party support at one time, but after E3, I think several companies are probably starting to double think supporting Sony.

Now, I don't want my words to be looked upon as 'fanboyism', or 'hey! he works for that one site.. that does.. nintendo stuff!'. Yeap, I do, I won't not admit that. However, I'm not a fanboy of Nintendo. I like my PS2, a beautiful console. However, I have been saying this since the PSP launch, Sony will not make it this generation. I've based my reasoning on the status of the company over all, news related to the PS3, and news related to the PSP.

I honestly, don't see a way Sony can succesfuly market the PS3, however, I don't know if they'll even make it that far. I think this might be the.. Sega Dreamcast, of Next-Gen. 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 11:08:26 am by Andrew »
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 74 queries.