Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Wuthering Heights  (Read 2144 times)

uma

Wuthering Heights
« on: December 08, 2007, 11:04:04 pm »
  • Ghosts can have Aliens too you know.
Wuthering Heights

Okay, I had to read this book in English to let you know. Here is basic plot synopsis:

Wuthering Heights is a 293 page romance novel which follows the relationship between Catherine Earnshaw and Heathcliff through the eyes of there servant, Nelly. As a romance novel, it contains an extremely predictable plot, albeit too complex for what it tries to do. Heathcliff is a pretty much a mean and grumpy man who cares way too much about material possesions and Catherine is an ignorant dumb !@#$% who falls in love with this guy.

Because he's such a self centered dumbass, he ends up indirectly killing people around him to inherit Wuthering Heights along with Catherine and Hindley's(Catherines brother who also has a deep hatred towards Heathcliff) fortune. He's crazily in love with Catherine, and for some reason, still treats her like !@#$%. But when she dies, he's like "OOH WHY U DIE CATHERINE" and stuff.

To be honest, this is one of the worstly written books I have ever read. It's almost as bad as Romeo and Juliet, but no peice of literature is that terrible. The way it is written will not only put you to sleep, but it will continue to confuse you. In the beginning of the book, some one else is narrating it, but then like later, Nelly is narrating it and you don't know when exactly that happens. Not only will that confuse you, but apprently, back then, they didn't know when to make a new paragraph. There are some giant walls of text that go on for a like 2 pages with no end in site. It's hard to remember what line you were reading when you start a new line.

There were no talking animals, giant robots, interplanetary wars or, for that matter, knights and dragons. What the !@#$% kind of story is this peice of !@#$%? No dragons? Whats a romance novel without a few alien wars? Nothing. I'll tell you that.

The story is extremely drawn out too long as well. It could easily be written in about 120 pages, but it goes on for about 170 more for some reason. It probably would of been more if it was properly spaced!

Don't even get me started on the terrible lack of personality for characters. Anything 1 character says can easily be said by any other character. I've seen better characters in books like How to Kill a Mocking Bird, which actually had a nice varity of character.

I'd recommend reading a novel with substance, not all the filler as seen in this book. If I could officially rate this book below a 0, I would but I have to be fair.

Score: 1/5 Jacksons: Pretty high up on the list of "Most Terrible Things Ever Made"
It's boring cliche romance novel story line and bland characters are sure to keep a person who likes shitty literature hooked. I'd recommend reading something of quality, like the Screwtape Letters. Now thats a great book. In other words, don't read Wuthering Heights. Unless you want something to fall asleep to.
Ghosts of Aliens
Entire project progress: About 20%

My FurAffinity!
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/umathefurry/
Re: Wuthering Heights
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 11:16:02 pm »
The hardest thing about the book was the naming of the characters; there were so many "Catherine"s and the name "Linton" got tossed around so much and rearranged.  Spoilers: at the end of the book or sometime in it, or maybe this was the movie, his coffin is open towards hers and in general the guy Heathcliff came off as a necrophiliac.  I mean he was like "I hear her everywhere" and whatnot.  I feel a little bad for the guy though.  The girl that I like has "fallen in love" with this ass who I know she only likes because he reminds her of her ex-boyfriend whether she will admit it or not when clearly I am the better man who payed more attention to her, uh.  Women are shallow people, and if any girl reads this, sorry for the offense, but in my life, this is basically all I have seen.  Honestly, when a guy is nice to you and sincerely cares about the way you feel and you just go off to the guy that catches your eye, it is pathetic to think that way.  I mean guys do essentially the same thing when they see hot women, but overall are not that shallow unless they are stupid.  Gah, rant over.

But yeah, I liked how Heathcliff basically screwed everyone out of their money and how he got his sick kid to basically forcibly marry that girl to get something.  I just disliked how he kept that one kid ignorant by not teaching him how to read, but he later grew up and learned how, so I can't hate that.  The whole book was a little creepy because the amount of cousin incest was a little much, and that is mainly why I liked Heathcliff so much as he was a gypsy orphan who rose from his status and gained so much.  A Byronic hero I say.

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 11:20:57 pm »
  • b e p i s
It's almost as bad as Romeo and Juliet, but no peice of literature is that terrible.

Please, please, oh please tell me this is a joke.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 11:34:06 pm »
You know there's a reason why you're not supposed to read romance novels.  They're romance novels.  Not to say a guy can't enjoy them, I guess they're just something that I will never consider being anything more than a substitute for wood to make a fire.  Maybe that's just me...
You rich !@#$%. I wish I could afford AIDs.
Payback's a !@#$% :P BTW Mamoruanime was here
  • [my deviantART gallery]
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 01:12:47 am »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
hmm, this was quite a bad movie as well,  but i like to kill a mockingbird.

uma

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 05:29:55 am »
It's almost as bad as Romeo and Juliet, but no peice of literature is that terrible.

No, please tell me that THIS is a joke. The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet is such a horrible peice of !@#$%! The story is really nothing special, the characters have no personality or variety, and the script is written in such a terrible manner. When you read something, you supposed to be able to understand what there saying, but I had no idea what the !@#$% they were communicating...

Don't even get me started on the radiculous impracticallities of the entire, flawed story. Romeo see's Juliet and all of the sudden he's willing to die for her? Yeah, what ever. That story had more plot holes than a slice of swiss cheese. I  could understand if the plot holes were used for comedic effect, but the story is supposed to be realistic, and nothing about that is realistic. At all. Then when he gets banned from his town, he just leaves!? If I were Romeo, I'd pull out a !@#$% shot-gun and start to shoot some bitches. NO NO! !@#$% that, I'd use my lazer vision to !@#$% melt there faces off.

Play wrights like that are nightmares to people like me with really short attention spans when you have to read them for school.

Everyone knows a good play contains 1 or more of the following(Preferably all):
-An easy to understand central conflict
-Dragons
-Missle-shooting guitar battles
-Spaceships with midevil castles on them
-Corny puns
-Talking Animals
-Drug Trips
-A light hearted story with plenty of comedic elements to it
-Script that doesn't sound like !@#$% up english

Oh and domo, I had to read it for english. Beleive me, if I had a choice, I wouldn't be reading a book lol. Romance novels are useless unless they contain 1 or more of the following listed above.
Ghosts of Aliens

My FurAffinity!
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 05:45:30 am »
I could destroy uma's weak arguments in his above post, but I'll let Knivu and his english degree take care of that.

(no really, are you joking? :p)

uma

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 06:00:35 am »
NO! I have quality standards when I sit down to read something. No one can tell me whats good literature, because most likely it sucks to me.
Ghosts of Aliens

My FurAffinity!

Dantztron 3030

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 06:02:06 am »
  • b e p i s
I could destroy uma's weak arguments in his above post, but I'll let Knivu and his english degree take care of that.

(no really, are you joking? :p)

Unfortunately when I am drunlk, such things are usless.

SEE?
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 06:09:08 am »
Okay, this is either a really bad joke topic, or a perfect example of the reasons I am so disappointed in today's society.

Not that the book is good (I don't think I've ever even heard of it), but the Romeo and Juliet comment is just disgraceful. You can't slam a book for being one of the worst things ever created, and then say it's better than Romeo and Juliet. It just makes you look incredibly stupid.

Mario Kart Wii Friend Code: 4468-1342-3783
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 06:12:35 am »
Okay, this is either a really bad joke topic, or a perfect example of the reasons I am so disappointed in today's society.

Not that the book is good (I don't think I've ever even heard of it), but the Romeo and Juliet comment is just disgraceful. You can't slam a book for being one of the worst things ever created, and then say it's better than Romeo and Juliet. It just makes you look incredibly stupid.
Agree <-<  it is like me saying that Furry stuff are incredibly stupid just because I don't understand its meaning( but I like furry stuff :3)

uma

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 03:03:56 pm »
You know, I love it how when I'm being serious people think I'm joking but when I'm really am joking no one can tell.

And how does comparing something to something worse make me look incredibley stupid? Incase you didn't notice, Romeo and Juliet is the worst, most cliche'd, boring thing ever written. It likes the ET or Superman 64 of the literary world(Except, for what ever reason, people praise it). It's almost as overrated and Final Fantasy 7.

Almost.

Now if you want a good book, I highly recommend the Screwtape Letters. It puts Romeo and Juliet to shame.
Ghosts of Aliens

My FurAffinity!
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 06:01:28 pm »

No, please tell me that THIS is a joke. The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet is such a horrible peice of !@#$%! The story is really nothing special, the characters have no personality or variety, and the script is written in such a terrible manner. When you read something, you supposed to be able to understand what there saying, but I had no idea what the !@#$% they were communicating...

Don't even get me started on the radiculous impracticallities of the entire, flawed story. Romeo see's Juliet and all of the sudden he's willing to die for her? Yeah, what ever. That story had more plot holes than a slice of swiss cheese. I  could understand if the plot holes were used for comedic effect, but the story is supposed to be realistic, and nothing about that is realistic. At all. Then when he gets banned from his town, he just leaves!? If I were Romeo, I'd pull out a !@#$% shot-gun and start to shoot some bitches. NO NO! !@#$% that, I'd use my lazer vision to !@#$% melt there faces off.

Play wrights like that are nightmares to people like me with really short attention spans when you have to read them for school.

Everyone knows a good play contains 1 or more of the following(Preferably all):
-An easy to understand central conflict
-Dragons
-Missle-shooting guitar battles
-Spaceships with midevil castles on them
-Corny puns
-Talking Animals
-Drug Trips
-A light hearted story with plenty of comedic elements to it
-Script that doesn't sound like !@#$% up english

Oh and domo, I had to read it for english. Beleive me, if I had a choice, I wouldn't be reading a book lol. Romance novels are useless unless they contain 1 or more of the following listed above.

Are you by anychance American?

gm112

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 06:06:41 pm »
Uma don't you realize that Romeo and Juliet was written many years ago? Like as far back as when the english language used "thou" for "you" and whatnot. For it's time, Romeo & Juliet was one hell of a play.

Pedlya

Pederp
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2007, 06:11:18 pm »
  • Vote for Harvey!~
Uma don't you realize that Romeo and Juliet was written many years ago? Like as far back as when the english language used "thou" for "you" and whatnot. For it's time, Romeo & Juliet was one hell of a play.

And one hell of a movie with Leonardo Di'Caprio (I dont care how gay I am for saying this, I love that movie.)
So what! I wanna get out! 'Cos there's so much out there! So many different people, living different lives! Incredibly good guys, bad guys... Folks completely different from us! It's one huge melting pot! See, it's not about success, dying in the streets, who's better, who's not! I just want to be a part of it! I realized that even if I've no connections, no talent, even if I'm one big loser, I want to use my hands and feet to think and move, to shape my own life! We can just die here or we can try, see what we've got!

gm112

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2007, 06:15:30 pm »

And one hell of a movie with Leonardo Di'Caprio (I dont care how gay I am for saying this, I love that movie.)

There was a movie made?

Pedlya

Pederp
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2007, 06:21:22 pm »
  • Vote for Harvey!~

There was a movie made?

http://imdb.com/title/tt0117509/

Takes place in modern day, many suttle nuance' to the original screenplay, very clever movie in my opinion. You may not enjoy it however, I seem to be in the minority on it.
So what! I wanna get out! 'Cos there's so much out there! So many different people, living different lives! Incredibly good guys, bad guys... Folks completely different from us! It's one huge melting pot! See, it's not about success, dying in the streets, who's better, who's not! I just want to be a part of it! I realized that even if I've no connections, no talent, even if I'm one big loser, I want to use my hands and feet to think and move, to shape my own life! We can just die here or we can try, see what we've got!
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2007, 06:26:30 pm »

There was a movie made?

http://imdb.com/title/tt0117509/

Takes place in modern day, many suttle nuance' to the original screenplay, very clever movie in my opinion. You may not enjoy it however, I seem to be in the minority on it.

I had to do a piece on that movie for English which is the main reason why I hate it, other is because of Leonardo Di'Caprio. Although looking past that it did seem a good movie.
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2007, 06:29:10 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君
You know, I love it how when I'm being serious people think I'm joking but when I'm really am joking no one can tell.

It's because you're saying incredibly ignorant things, such as a book needs dragons to be good, or that if you were Romeo you'd pull out a shotgun.

Dantztron 3030

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2007, 09:21:35 pm »
  • b e p i s
Romeo and Juliet is the worst, most cliche'd, boring thing ever written.

Right. See, here's the thing: Romeo and Juliet CREATED those cliches. And if it didn't, it wouldn't matter because the language is so beautifully poetic that it offsets any rough spots in the story. Whether you're able to appreciate the quality of Shakespeare's prose is up to you; regardless, hearing things like this makes me weep for the future.

The Screwtape Letters is an excellent read though, by far.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 74 queries.

anything