Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Metro 2033 Developers say the Wii U CPU is too slow.  (Read 1311 times)

Metro 2033 Developers say the Wii U CPU is too s...
« on: November 21, 2012, 06:37:17 am »
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1687689/wii_u_has_a_horrible_slow_cpu_says_metro_last_light_dev.html

Wii U's tech specs aren't as impressive as initially thought and 4A Games won't be bringing Metro: Last Light to Nintendo's new console.

Published on Nov 20, 2012

Nintendo’s Wii U is out in the US and with reports coming in that it is struggling in a number of areas, many are claiming its third party games aren’t quite up to the visual standard of their Xbox 360 and PS3 cousins.

That the Wii U struggles to render games (that run perfectly on the Xbox 360 and the PS3) is a worrying trend for Nintendo. In fact, some games currently scheduled for release on the 360, PS3 and PC won’t be heading to the Wii U at all because of the differences in processing power.

One of these titles will be 4 A Games’ Metro: Last Light. Chief technical officer, Oles Shishkovtsov, explains why Metro’s sequel won’t be appearing.

“[The] Wii U has a horrible, slow CPU,” said Shishkovtsov to NowGamer.

Even his colleage, Huw Beynon, confirmed there would not be a Wii U version of Metro: Last Light, and couldn't justify the effort required to bring a comparable version to the Wii U.

“We had an early look at it, we thought we could probably do it, but in terms of the impact we would make on the overall quality of the game – potentially to its detriment – we just figured it wasn’t worth pursuing at this time. It’s something we might return to. I really couldn’t make any promises, though.”

Despite Nintendo’s console offering Metro: Last Light new experiences to its players with it dual screens, when asked Benyon was adamant that the Wii U would ever seen Metro: Last Light when asked directly.

“We had an initial look at the Wii U, but given the size of the team and compared to where we were last time, just developing for the Playstation 3 is a significant addition.”

Is this bad news for the Wii U? Will it affect your decision to buy one? Let us know below.

Pretty Interesting

Re: Metro 2033 Developers say the Wii U CPU is t...
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 06:40:13 am »
I think that is kind of a bad example as Metro 2033 wasn't optimized to begin with.  I had a monster machine and still couldn't get a fluid 60fps at all times when it came out do to horrible optimization, which they admitted to.

I have watched some HD videos of batman for wii-u and it looks pretty sick to me as far as graphics are concerned.

Overall, this shouldn't come as a surprise since Nintendo has been innovation > graphics for a while now.
I do find it suspicious though, that the processor specs aren't somewhat public since the system has already been released.  Wikipedia has only a name.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 06:41:59 am by Theforeshadower »
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 06:56:10 am »
I'm not knowledgeable about any of this, but I did see a discussion on Reddit that I paid attention to. Overall, the thread was full of the same stuff mentioned here: Metro 2033 was a poorly optimized game to begin with, so it's hard to take them seriously.

Some other info I picked up was that the CPU and memory latency may be a problem for some developers, but it's made up by the fact that all its parts seem to "play nice" with each other.

Overall, this comment stood out for me:
On the one hand, you have developers of cross platform games saying the cpu is a little slower than they are used to, or expecting. On the other hand, you have single-platform developers saying all the components play nice with each other.
A cross-platform developer wants to do as little work as possible when porting their game, so they want the platform to be similar to what they developed the engine for. Yes, the memory latency may not be ideal but they designed the engine around the limitations. The Wii U may make up for the slow cpu in other areas, but taking of advantage of it may require rewriting a lot of the engine, which some devs may not want to do.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 07:38:10 am by Rafa »
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 11:31:42 am »
I think that is kind of a bad example as Metro 2033 wasn't optimized to begin with.  I had a monster machine and still couldn't get a fluid 60fps at all times when it came out do to horrible optimization, which they admitted to.

Agree. The game was beautiful, but far from smooth playing. Plus, it had some crippling bugs.

Innovation over graphics is good, but HD graphics can truly enhance the experience. It did for Metro 2033 anyway. We all know the next Xbox and Playstation will most likely beat the Wii U in hardware. I just hope Nintendo doesn't make the Wii U another collection of shitty third party ...party games.

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 03:23:48 pm »
  • 笑い男
The thing is though, if you look at the way nintendo thinks and the way a lot of, especially western devs think, they're quite different.

Like you said, nintendo loves innovation and really does push the industry forward in such respects and everyone knows that. Yet, many devs even then, just prefer the blockbuster feel and pushing the best visuals. I lot of people in the west seem to care more about such things too, so I guess if there's that market...
But then if you also take a look at the best machines spec wise, they pretty much never end up well. It's pretty much always the weaker systems that come out way on top. DS, PSX, PS2, snes? etc. Of course, with the wii, while sales wise it's nuts, games wise, it wasn't the best, say compared to the PS2. Sure there were quite a lot of really good games, but not tons of them, nor were there many pretty good games that came out everywhere else. It's obviously a very hard balance, and obviously nintendo have again decided to not go the brute strength route, as we all know how that ends up, but hopefully this time it's good enough, or at least not too different/old to not allow devs to port easily to it. Controls wise and modern architecture wise, it looks like it's a lot easier to cater to than the wii was for the aforementioned devs at least.

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 48 queries.