Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: [Abandonware] Octorok Map Designer [Dead for the time being]  (Read 10940 times)

Re: [WIP] Octorok Map Designer
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2007, 12:14:03 pm »
  • 笑い男
i see you have preset variables (such as a 16x16 grid size) for each project type
will you actually be able to alter those though? or just be stuck with the hard settings for each project? :P

I just realized you can export a resource list from GM7 to a text file! I'm going to make an importer of this so you dont have to manually add your resources to Octorok. This will allow users to quickly and easily start making maps for their projects!

That's a $$$ seller right there. Nice.
wait, you can do what now?
i can't see anything in GM7 that does such a thing :O
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 12:18:01 pm by hawthorneluke »

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2007, 08:07:18 pm »
  • Colbydude was here.
I remeber when you first started this! @_@
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2007, 04:29:28 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Yup :p all of your grid settings, as well as room sizes are user-input; however I have some presets to make the users workload a lil easier (instead of checking the screensize of a particular system, its all there :P (granted GB zelda's are screensize - 16 from y))

When this is all done, I'm gunna make a manifest too so it all matches your system's GUI, since no one likes to see the old 98' buttons and stuff :P

Giverny

Christ on Acid
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2007, 05:53:05 am »
  • Bitte Scheiße
A Map designer? Now thats an Idea. I'm definitely looking forward to this.
THEGivernyPROJECT
~LynkW-Surrender Global
  • Surrender Global Forums

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2007, 06:40:32 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I'm working out some stuff on the map drawing system; I'm gunna do up a quick mockup and show you guys how I wanna set it up.

One feature I feel is a requirement is labeled layers. One thing that pisses me off about GM's map system, is it doesnt let you name the layers you assign. I want to be able to say "Okay, layer -1000 is gunna be named 'Overlay', Layer 100 is gunna be 'Map level 1'", etc.

I'm also allowing (as seen in the map screenshot I posted) players to scroll between their created maps based on a little grid that is on the upper left hand corner of the form. This way they dont have to keep loading which room they wanna edit.

I'll get that mockup going and show y'all what I'm doin :p
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 07:13:32 am by Mamoruanime »
Re: [WIP][NEED VOLUNTEERS] Octorok Map Designer
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2007, 12:49:50 pm »
That sounds like an interesting idea...
VB6 pwns to make this sort of tool.
I've done similar room editors in VB, but your idea is very good...

BTW, I have some suggestions:
-There is a way to use only 4 rooms, instead of 9.
-You should use one file for each room, (instead of 1 for the whole overworld), because loading would be a lot faster. If you use only 1 file, the program would have to search the room in that file, so it would be incredibly slower.
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2007, 03:25:58 pm »
  • 笑い男
Ah, user inputed settings + presets sounds like the best :P
And naming layers... very good idea :O lol

You should try to make the rectangle (or even ellipse O_O) tiling tool like in RPG Maker XP... that was great fun when I did it o_o lol

That mockup looks great, especially with the added navigation thing to the top left imo

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World

Giverny

Christ on Acid
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2007, 05:04:28 pm »
  • Bitte Scheiße
This thing is just plain brilliant. Wait, you want help?(topic title)
THEGivernyPROJECT
~LynkW-Surrender Global
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2007, 06:43:42 pm »
  • 笑い男
read the first post :P

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2007, 05:31:24 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
That sounds like an interesting idea...
VB6 pwns to make this sort of tool.
I've done similar room editors in VB, but your idea is very good...

BTW, I have some suggestions:
-There is a way to use only 4 rooms, instead of 9.
-You should use one file for each room, (instead of 1 for the whole overworld), because loading would be a lot faster. If you use only 1 file, the program would have to search the room in that file, so it would be incredibly slower.

on the first one- Yeah, but some LTTP rooms require a 9 room spread; theres ways around it, but ultimately, just having 9 is fine. I could also make it 1 room XD but meh... Since realistically it only has to load the room (in GM) once, the load time probably wont be too noticeable. Initially the idea was to have it set up as just 1 room standard size, but I was worried about GM read times from external files (especially map files); so I figure if its loading the rooms you can scroll to while your on the center block, it'll allow the game to catch up without the user noticing it

on the 2nd one- Tis the plan from the start XD Theres one master file that holds properties for specific rooms (and allows you to load into  Octorok, thats its primary purpose), but the output folder will be filled with a bunch of .map files; probably with the naming conventions of 1x1y, 1x2y, etc
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 05:40:59 am by Mamoruanime »

Ryan

The only Canadian?
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2007, 06:19:36 am »
A map designer would be quite useful. Keep going!
  • Likes to Ramble

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2007, 04:41:22 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I havent had much progress since my last screenshots (been busy); but I'm gunna be working on it some tonight. I'll keep y'all posted with more updates soon!

However, I have an idea that I wanna run by you guys real quick-

Auto-update------

It'll prompt you that theres an update, and ask if you wanna download the new files.

Sound good?

Giverny

Christ on Acid
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2007, 05:52:48 am »
  • Bitte Scheiße
But of course:D
THEGivernyPROJECT
~LynkW-Surrender Global
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2007, 12:15:23 pm »
  • 笑い男
Yeah auto updates ftw :P

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2007, 05:02:58 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
w00t;

lol yeah that way I can give out the exe whenever I want and kinda do some testing while I'm developing :P
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2007, 06:37:55 am »
I havent had much progress since my last screenshots (been busy); but I'm gunna be working on it some tonight. I'll keep y'all posted with more updates soon!

However, I have an idea that I wanna run by you guys real quick-

Auto-update------

It'll prompt you that theres an update, and ask if you wanna download the new files.

Sound good?
How could it be bad?
the a o d c

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2007, 06:40:21 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
well, while it would provide essential updates; I would prefer it if a newer version didn't overwrite the existing software in case of the update being less satisfying to the user :P So I'm thinking like a prompt that users can shut off or something <_< like how bitcomet constantly asks "BLAH BLAH IS OUT! download now?" lol... Speaking of which, ima catagorize updates as fixes and new versions... that way its a lil different prompt...

(IE "A patch is available to fix these critical errors: *blah blah*" and "New version out with the following new features! *blah blah*") :P

Although before I do start working heavily on the map design part of this (since its primarily the GUI right now with some nifty features); I want some input on things I should include; that way I dont get too far into this thing to a point to where I couldnt easily add something needed :P

SO! :D If anyone has some suggestions, please send em my way
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2007, 03:49:26 pm »
  • 笑い男
the methods of tiling that rpg maker xp has seem very handy

also, how will marking out the locations of solid areas where you generally cant move over (like walls)?

if it's simply by placing objects the size of the grid, then how about being able to say right click a tile on the sheet and tagging that solid object to it, so when you lay that tile (say a fence one), the solid object is also automatically layed? of course this set up would only be kept for each project though and the user is free to decide what tiles to tag solid objects to if any
if you get me? :P

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2007, 05:05:02 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
the methods of tiling that rpg maker xp has seem very handy

also, how will marking out the locations of solid areas where you generally cant move over (like walls)?

if it's simply by placing objects the size of the grid, then how about being able to say right click a tile on the sheet and tagging that solid object to it, so when you lay that tile (say a fence one), the solid object is also automatically layed? of course this set up would only be kept for each project though and the user is free to decide what tiles to tag solid objects to if any
if you get me? :P

I was actually going to set it up just about the same way GM does; the user would still have to place objects over the tiles to make em blockable. I suppose it would be possible (I might be able to allow users to place a corresponding blockable object over their tileset, so any time they place a tile, it places the corresponding blockable); but I probably wont set that up for a little bit :p

I rather like that idea :o

I have a few changes from the past couple days, not much (I've been busy and on caffeine detox... which sucks lol)

10/24/2007 12:38:09 PM: Added save system
10/24/2007 12:47:03 PM: Imported WRS Map Editor map functions
10/24/2007 5:31:17 PM: Added Navigation Minimap

Im gunna do some fine tuning and retooling of my old WRS map editor; but I'll post a screenshot of that too when I find one to give an example of how that worked.

EDIT:

After talking to DJ, I think I might *try* to implement something that could be useful as well... An image importer, that will tile out a room based off of un-unique blits between the tileset and image; so if you have a screenshot of a room, Octorok will try to tile it out based on the tilesets you have imported. I MIGHT do this, if not I'll just make an in-tool tileset creator.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 08:02:58 am by Mamoruanime »
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2007, 01:51:53 pm »
  • 笑い男
I was actually going to set it up just about the same way GM does; the user would still have to place objects over the tiles to make em blockable. I suppose it would be possible (I might be able to allow users to place a corresponding blockable object over their tileset, so any time they place a tile, it places the corresponding blockable); but I probably wont set that up for a little bit :p

I rather like that idea :o
Exactly what I meant :P

That auto tiler from an image idea sounds awesome, but I don't think it's something that's all important and should be focused on for some time though
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 01:59:50 pm by hawthorneluke »

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 78 queries.