Projects > Discussion

"MiZM" Zeltroid Game

<< < (2/5) > >>

FrozenFire:
Wow, it's been 3 years.... 3 Y E A R S... and this topic was still on the first page in the discussion sub-forum. The activity here truly is no joke. XD
So anyway, I'm reviving this because I decided I needed to make something smaller scale before continuing on my far bigger game project, and this is one of the game projects that I always felt a little more passion for than all my other small scale ideas and doodles.

SAME TOPIC... WHY?

I don't know if this game will belong in the "Zelda" or "Other" projects section just yet, as I'm still not sure if I'm truly making this a Zelda fan game or if I'm just going to make it open for the player to see him as Link or not. Secondly, it's still very early in development (spent 2-3 weeks of my free time on it so far), so it might not warrant a project topic just yet. I could give a demo, but it's literally just 3 playable screens where you can do nothing but jump around.

OH LOOK

[ NOTE that the gif timing makes the gameplay look a little sped up from the real thing ]

I obviously ditched the Pico-8 palette. I also updated the main character a little to give him a tad bit more height and to be more readable.
And of course, my previous mock-up is now actual in-game stuff ("I'm a real bo-.. er, game!"), etc. etc.

3 YEARS LATER, IS THIS THE SAME GAME? WHAT TO EXPECT?

Still the same, but a more fleshed out concept; now I have a good idea of where I want to go with this. The plan is to make a very tiny love letter to Zelda and Metroid.
The world is currently planned to be 7x7, so just 49 screens. The only item planned is a sword made of spirit/phantom energy, but there are some upgrades for it. For e.g., a "dash slash" which can be used on enemies, to bridge gaps, and to maneuver around better. I want all upgrades to be very usable, not just something to use on an obstacle and to set aside until you come across another obstacle again.

So you'll pretty much get a sword, explore, fight stuff, get upgrades to reach new places, etc. - very typical Metroid-like, except with a sword. Other people have done this kind of game many times before, I know, but I haven't, and I really want to make my own. Plus, I think it'll end up unique enough to stand on its own as a tiny-yet-enjoyable experience. That's the hope, anyway.

WHATCHA GOT DONE SO FAR? WHAT'S NEXT?

I'm coding the game in GML, using GameMaker Studio 2. I programmed a movement engine which properly handles sub-pixel movements and also avoids staircasing movements via an alternating ratio-based x y movement loop. I've also got things like a jumping grace period, etc. - technical and UX stuff like that. Aside from those things, I've really only done a bit of graphics and animation work, implemented screen transitioning, and I've tweaked the various variables with physics to get it feeling mostly good, and I'll be tweaking that further soon™.

The next step is to work on the player character's sword, starting with the basic attack. I haven't done anything in this area yet, so I'll have to draw the sword and the attacking animations, figure out a good sword reach, etc.

I'll leave it at that for now. Any thoughts are certainly welcome. :)

pxl_moon (dotyue):
nice to see this one again... \o/

( you even got me out of my lurk xD )

FrozenFire:
Hey! XD Good to see you around, and thanks for the comment.

BTW, I'm expecting to be updating this thread with progress about once a week. Hoping I can keep up the momentum.

Martijn dh:
It looks great so far.
Let me know whenever you need help testing etc. It's the least I can do.

FrozenFire:
Thanks for the praise and the offer to test. I bet I'll take you up on that later. :)

I figure I should also mention that I've been making music for someone else's game off and on over the past few months and it's back to 'on' again, plus I picked up some more hours at work this week, so that's got me a bit behind on where I wanted to be with my game, but I might be able to catch up on progress tomorrow.

Actually, the game that I'm making music for is what the developer referred to as a "ZelTroidVania" when he pitched it to me a few months back when asking me to do music for it, which seems fitting, though possibly slightly redundant, :P so I'll likely post about the game in the Entertainment section later, since it's a game other Zelda fans might enjoy. Of course, I'll wait until I get the okay to share more about the game, since I'm just the music guy. Well, I did work on the music looping and fade handling code, so I guess I'm a 'music guy+' or something, but whatever.

SNEAK EDIT:

I wasn't able to get much done because I took an extra shift at work + I worked on some music and a preview trailer for that Zeltroidvania game this week ( BTW, I got the go-ahead to make a topic here for that game, but the public demo isn't ready just yet, so later ).

Since I didn't get enough to warrant a new post within a week like I wanted to, I'll just leave this initial sword slash animation here:

Animation is a facet of game dev that I desperately need to build more skill in, so this took me a few hours to do because I had to research and mess around with motion blur and other things. It still might need more work as well. I dunno. As I said, animation is something I really need to work on, so I probably don't even know of various issues with it that a more experienced animator could point out.

Of course, it's lacking some glow and particle effects I have planned and designed, but I'll save all that for a new post, when it's not just words. XD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Go to full version