Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Starting an MMORPG-Need help  (Read 2193 times)

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
Starting an MMORPG-Need help
« on: October 25, 2007, 07:59:03 am »
That's right, Im thinking of starting an MMORPG (Seeing how as ALT is near the end of the story)

So I need to know how to do it. I need a tutor to guide me. Im using GM6.1

Please can anyone help me?

Any good tutorials?
Any good open sources?
Any good servers?
Anything else?

Please tell me
  • Phoenix Heart

Bistian

Procedurally generated bro.
Re: Starting an MMORPG-Need help
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 08:41:10 am »
  • That's right, I'm back.
Can I support ?
Look at Yoyo-Games Game Maker Community under Open Source !

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 08:42:10 am »
I may not do it. I just got told by a friend of hackers. It's something that is too risky.
  • Phoenix Heart

Bistian

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 08:47:46 am »
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 01:38:29 pm »
  • 笑い男
Unlike any other game you make, with making an mmo:
You have to make at least two systems at once that syncrhonise with each other perfectly (server and client)
You have to design an actual system of how all networking will be done (keeping it as efficient and lag free as possible, but while having it send as much required data as possible), which in itself is like starting programming from scratch
Then there's the stuff like making movement and attack syncrhonisation as perfect as possible, making it as secure as possible etc

Then of course on top of that you have to make the game, like you would normally, but made to accomodate those such things :x

Any good tutorials? well as for how to go about the networking system, you can find any tutorial you like, no matter what language it's for as it makes no difference. its the design of the system only.

Good open sources? well you're saying aout using GM... so your best (and almost only) bet is to just use a DLL, like soc31 or 39dll (which I recommend)

And good servers? lol?
what, as in a machine to host the server, or the actual server app?
if it's the second, then you have to make your own. It'll be highly specific to your game, unless you make everything crap and client side and so the server just fowards the data to all clients (I couldnt think of a worse idea)

Also, Like it would of taken you lots of experience to create games well (if you can that is), doing such a thing will take again, lots and lots of experience
So unless you want to end up making a ton of crap and having to remake it many times, I suggest trying out many many things and planning a lot untill you've got it all down perfect and can impliment it into a real game.

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 01:48:58 pm »
  • Insert smartass remark here --->
May I make an *Cough* Suggesting *Cough*
Why don't you look into private World of Warcraft Servers
The two new server software is open sorce and will be very helpful.
But there in C++

And if anyone has a problem with me ripping of blizz all I have to say is "Bite me". :P
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 03:32:35 pm »
  • The devil in the mirror.
Anny kind of MMO game is quite impossible in GM, it's just too slow, it MIGHT be possible to get 100 players going good, but then you'd need to write the server in C/C++ or something faster than GM.

If you planned writing a MMO alone, I would suggest you drop the idea. Writing an MMO by yourself is possible... if you have 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and 2 years to do it.

You would need to balance items, weapons, spells or whatever else you might need in the game too.
You would need to have a dedicated server running.
It WILL cost a lot of money....

^That is if you want to make something worth playing that is...

Take my advice, don't try to make any kind of MMO game, it's not worth it, unless you got a huge team already, or if you have the money to spare. There was one MMO at the GM forums way back when I used it, and it managed 30 players max, and the server wasn't even written in GM, and the world was really small, and quite boring to play in.
Working on my Masters Degree in Computer Science.
Hey look, Zelda Coop....later.
Proud user of C++ for 9 years, and counting!

Bistian

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 03:46:46 pm »
You can do it with GM ! I saw a Game that is a MMO and runs on GM : Oracle of Life !
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 03:50:38 pm »
You can do it with GM ! I saw a Game that is a MMO and runs on GM : Oracle of Life !
Thats not really an MMO though, it only handles relatively low amounts of players.

Bistian

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 03:54:02 pm »
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 05:57:13 pm »
Don't do it, it's extremely difficult.
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 07:23:16 pm »
  • Insert smartass remark here --->
You know.
Its way more helpful to give encouragement instead of taking a !@#$% on his ideas.
I mean what would happen if people kept saying to blizzard "Don't do it, it's extremely difficult." They would stop and we wouldn't have World of Warcraft and what you people say is !@#$%.

It won't cost that much money and you don't need to buy a "dedicated server"
You can host the server on your own computer. The Software for Private WoW servers is coded by three guys.
You get a good fan base and they will start making Databases. It doesn't matter what coding language is there is a freaking Java Core. Now if anyone wants to argue feel free but remember I bet none of you have hosted a Private WoW server or even ponder that fact that you can play on one.

And again if you have any problems with all this Piracy Bite my glorious pale ass.
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 07:33:05 pm »
  • The devil in the mirror.
Encourage and then let him fall? Either way...

The cost of a dedicated server depends, a 100mbit dedicated = 1000$ a month.
And believe me, self hosted server with the usually 3mbit nett is NOT good enough for more than 30ppl if you code it really well.

Software for pirated Wow Server? well, the server isn't everything, they didn't need to make 3D models, textures, map the worlds, code the game play. They just took what Blizzard made and tried to make a copy of their servers.

Blizzard is a big company, they have existed for VERY long, and had a good grip on the marked, they had the recourses and the time to make a MMO game.

If someone with a game making team, and experience to make an MMO came here asking for help, no one would disagree, then again, they wouldn't need to ask for stuff like tutorials, servers etc... you need to KNOW how to make an MMO game, not just suddenly want to start one.

If this had been in the Recruitment forums, with a good plan, and asking for people to join, it would have been a different story.
Working on my Masters Degree in Computer Science.
Hey look, Zelda Coop....later.
Proud user of C++ for 9 years, and counting!
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 09:38:22 pm »
  • 笑い男
there are many lol

but yeah, GM really isn't the best choice if you're serious and want to and can make something really quite good >_<

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 63 queries.