Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Im sorry boys, but this is the truth.  (Read 1620 times)

Pedlya

Pederp
Im sorry boys, but this is the truth.
« on: August 05, 2008, 10:42:55 am »
  • Vote for Harvey!~
Ooookay, here we go.

This was a fine game. Solid battle system, good soundtrack, memorable villain, all the things you want in an RPG. But Jesus Crackers people, let it go. It's not as good as you remember, and it never was as perfect as fanboys have let it become over the years. It's reached this untouchable, unassailable point where you're not even allowed to dislike it, let alone berate it. Well, we are. Right now.

The characters are poorly realized. Compare them to FFVI or even FFIV on the SNES and they're rote, uninteresting stereotypes that pale next to the likes of Cecil, Terra or Rydia. And Aerith, well, she's been immortalized as the biggest shock in all of RPG history somehow, even though most of the people we know barely batted an eye when she bit the dust. Our PC editor even offered this bit of constructive criticism sure to enrage the legions that had never played an RPG prior to FFVII:

"She seems passive, but she’s really passive aggressive and manipulative about her feelings for Cloud. She’s confused and doesn’t know what she wants, which is fine. But she’s too weak to do anything but smile stoically and take a beating like all perfectly tragic princesses should.

"Her death was not an example of how games can invoke a strong emotional response from the player. It’s an example of how a cutscene can trigger an emotional response, and that’s been happening since the introduction of dem dar movin’ pictures. She doesn’t deserve a literal beating. She deserves a symbolic burning in protest of what she stands for, the one dimensional Barbie Doll smiling face that will forever go on feigning optimism and happiness in the name of femininity."

The main thing to take away is that FFVII was the first RPG millions of people played, so it unfairly becomes the standard by which all others should be judged, even though it's impossible for another, better game to actually surpass it. It was a pretty good game with amazing, ahead-of-its-time presentation, enough to shroud the comparatively lame characters and style-over-substance gameplay that would define the franchise for years to come. And for all the dust it kicked up, FFVIII, released just two years later, looked phenomenally better, so even VII's unprecedented delivery was outdated in a matter of months. And if you want to talk strict gameplay, Materia is a poor man's Esper.

We like it fine, but it's nowhere near as good as people make it out to be and doesn't deserve the crushing amount of misty-eyed nostalgia it forcibly extracts - and that's as true today as it was in 1997.

Seriously, im not aiming this at anyone here. Just to the legions of FFVII lovers out there. Yes, its a well built game, just not "The greatest thing since sliced bread" For a while ive been having this conversation with morons like this idiot that works at my local game store. I know someone close to me that admits its not the greatest game ever, but she makes her points valid in the statement that "I just enjoy it" If you just enjoy the game, thats perfectly natural because its your opinion, but when you state things like "Its amazing" You have just made your point invalid.

I admit to not liking FFVII to this gamestore moron and he claims I have no idea what im talking about. Ive played nearly every Final Fantasy there is (in america at least) and personally I prefer FFT.

Im going to say this once, and forgive me. All people that claim FFVII is the greatest game ever, are losers, and failures in the video game world.

A nice little example of why most FFVII fans are morons;
http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&q=FFVII+petition&btnG=Google+Search

Tl;DR Version

FFVII is gay.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 10:47:08 am by Pedlya »
So what! I wanna get out! 'Cos there's so much out there! So many different people, living different lives! Incredibly good guys, bad guys... Folks completely different from us! It's one huge melting pot! See, it's not about success, dying in the streets, who's better, who's not! I just want to be a part of it! I realized that even if I've no connections, no talent, even if I'm one big loser, I want to use my hands and feet to think and move, to shape my own life! We can just die here or we can try, see what we've got!
Re: Im sorry boys, but this is the truth.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 10:51:32 am »
listen bro hating on ffvii has been in style for months. You're not really bringing anything new to the table

And if you want to talk strict gameplay, Materia is a poor man's Esper.
what. FFVI may be my favorite FF game, but Espers are !@#$% easy mode. The materia system is so much better than the espers.
  • Google Profile

Pedlya

Pederp
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 10:53:37 am »
  • Vote for Harvey!~
listen bro hating on ffvii has been in style for months. You're not really bringing anything new to the table

what. FFVI may be my favorite FF game, but Espers are !@#$% easy mode. The materia system is so much better than the espers.

Im not a 12 year old, hell bent on being "in" and knowing whats in style or not. I state facts and opinions. Sorry nice try though ;P
Plus, I AM bringing something new to the table *GASP* OPINIONS!
So what! I wanna get out! 'Cos there's so much out there! So many different people, living different lives! Incredibly good guys, bad guys... Folks completely different from us! It's one huge melting pot! See, it's not about success, dying in the streets, who's better, who's not! I just want to be a part of it! I realized that even if I've no connections, no talent, even if I'm one big loser, I want to use my hands and feet to think and move, to shape my own life! We can just die here or we can try, see what we've got!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 11:02:01 am »

Im not a 12 year old, hell bent on being "in" and knowing whats in style or not. I state facts and opinions. Sorry nice try though ;P

But yet you post this topic in an attempt to make a fact?

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 11:07:04 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Blegh you guys are misunderstanding what Pedlya's saying :s

He's not saying everyone who enjoys FFVII are morons, he's saying people who say its the best game to come out are morons; which is true, because really... The game is fun, I love it... But, its all up to personal opinion. The game is certainly *not* the best game ever; Final Fantasy games really don't age well. Classic RPG style is pretty much dead to the age of modern RPGs. They don't hold well to time. To say its the greatest game ever means that people are ignoring everything to come out since that innovates the genre.

Again, FFVII is awesome, I love it, but, exactly like Pedlya says; it's not the best game ever.
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 11:10:46 am »

He's not saying everyone who enjoys FFVII are morons, he's saying people who say its the best game to come out are morons; which is true, because really... The game is fun, I love it... But, its all up to personal opinion. The game is certainly *not* the best game ever; Final Fantasy games really don't age well. Classic RPG style is pretty much dead to the age of modern RPGs. They don't hold well to time. To say its the greatest game ever means that people are ignoring everything to come out since that innovates the genre.

Again, FFVII is awesome, I love it, but, exactly like Pedlya says; it's not the best game ever.

Yeah but if you say FFVII is the best game ever made, then thats your opinion. Calling them a moron because of their opinion on something as trivial as a video games is pretty moronic in its self.

Pedlya

Pederp
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 11:17:10 am »
  • Vote for Harvey!~

Yeah but if you say FFVII is the best game ever made, then thats your opinion. Calling them a moron because of their opinion on something as trivial as a video games is pretty moronic in its self.

Lol bert, I love you man...but "Trivial"...? To my understanding, video games kinda set the marker for todays lifestyle for regular humans. Everyone knows about Nintendo these days lol.
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 11:22:35 am »
I love you too ;) But still, I really don't see them as being that important.

Unless they try calling Halo 3 best game ever made, then yeah they need to go see a doctor.
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 11:29:58 am »

I don't see anything new
  • Google Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 04:15:29 pm »
  • Super Hero Time!
FFVII is over-rated.

Everyone knows this.

also cool story bro
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 04:25:05 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
FFVII is over-rated.

Everyone knows this.

also cool story bro
qft, Pyro!

FF7 is a good game, but not the best by any means of the word. I need to play tactics, but I prefer 8 over 7, and 9 over 8. Honestly, I think that if you believe FF7 is the best game ever, you shouldn't be allowed to work in a game store. Because it isn't. The gameplay is good, but 8 and 9's gameplay is better. 7 has a good story, but the others are better. 7 has mediocre graphics that pale in comparison to 8 and 9's. All in all, 7 is the worst of the three, and the SNES games had better stories than 7. Hell, at least Kefka SUCCEEDED in destroying the world and becoming a god. Sephiroth tried that and failed.

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 04:39:56 pm »
FFVII is over-rated.

Everyone knows this.

also cool story bro
qft, Pyro!

FF7 is a good game, but not the best by any means of the word. I need to play tactics, but I prefer 8 over 7, and 9 over 8. Honestly, I think that if you believe FF7 is the best game ever, you shouldn't be allowed to work in a game store. Because it isn't. The gameplay is good, but 8 and 9's gameplay is better. 7 has a good story, but the others are better. 7 has mediocre graphics that pale in comparison to 8 and 9's. All in all, 7 is the worst of the three, and the SNES games had better stories than 7. Hell, at least Kefka SUCCEEDED in destroying the world and becoming a god. Sephiroth tried that and failed.

I love 7, my first Final Fantasy, I love Tactics (lied, this was my first), I love 9, haven't played 8, love 4, like 1, hate 2, love 3, but no matter what, I just like the games (except for 2), also, 6 is the best of them all, Kefka FTW!

Manly men don't sass. Manly men get in FIGHTS! Fist fights using manly fists!
  • JetDesigns

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 04:54:59 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
Exactly. Sephiroth is a wuss compared to Kefka.

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 05:28:22 pm »
I loved FF7, i honestly believe it's an amazing game, but i feel a lot of games are amazing, pretty much every game i enjoy  i feel are amazing. People need to stop comparing Final Bosses of Games with each other, they're two different people, stop comparing them, two different worlds, two different stories, two different settings. FF7 is also the first FF game i ever beat.

But if you must compare them then:

spoiler for FF7, FF6, and FF5
Show content
Sephiroth kills one of your party members, Kefka kills people who really don't even care about. Ex-Death is the same way as Sephiroth in that he kills one of party members, to me that's a lot more evil then poisoning a town full of people that you really don't give a !@#$% about

Giverny

Christ on Acid
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 05:32:55 pm »
  • Bitte Scheiße
And anyways, FF X>FF VII
I never have played FFVII, but one thing I know is that it is not the best.
THEGivernyPROJECT
~LynkW-Surrender Global
  • Surrender Global Forums

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 05:41:26 pm »
Exactly. Sephiroth is a wuss compared to Kefka.

You're not exactly a wuss if you can slice apart skyscrapers at base power.

Pedlya

Pederp
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 05:43:11 pm »
  • Vote for Harvey!~
This was just me saying FFVII is fanboy faggotry. Not how cool kefka was. Lock'd.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 68 queries.

anything