Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hand drawn animation?  (Read 1694 times)

Hand drawn animation?
« on: April 21, 2010, 04:54:31 am »
How cool would it be to animate something? It'd totally be a personal accomplishment of mine.. I was watching The Little Mermaid, Aladdin and Howl's Moving Castle today and I was talking to a friend about how much of a dream job it would be if I had the patience to actually animate something.. So, I was curious as to what it was like... so I drew up four frames real quick and looped em.. This is obviously really rough and unfinished but I'm hoping to go further with it. I'm going to keep pushing a long :) Have any of you guys ever tried hand drawn animation [or any type of animation] before?

• My Photostream

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
Re: Hand drawn animation?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 05:05:54 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I've actually done a few hand drawn animations in the past; nothing too amazing but it's very tedious :(

One thing I suggest though, and this is something they do in big productions as well as small ones--- Always keyframe. Once you get all of your keyframes in, tween out your animation. You'll have a smoother animation that way, since you have your intro as well as your outcome for your animation. It'll give you a goal for each drawing to get to :)
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 05:22:14 am »
Ahh very cool. I have really limited experience with animation and I wasn't sure if tweening was a proper thing to do lol. I'm hoping to do something like a 30 second animation and possibly vectoring it all out afterward. Obviously a huge undertaking since I've never done it before... we'll see.

What I figured I would do to get nice clean lines was to draw it out rough first, animate it together in photoshop and see what needs to be changed... fix all that, add some minor details and then retrace all the frames so they have a uniform look. Is that something common to do that you know of? I want to keep line weight and all as consistent as I can.
  • My Photostream

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 05:26:14 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Well; pretty much all we did back in my old art class (we had animation stuff) was storyboard, tween out our animations, draw them out, then crudely scanned them in lol

As far as I know though, it's completely proper to finish your rough paper animation first, and then vector/color. Not entirely positive though, but it seems correct.

Also, what are you using for your sketches?
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 05:28:00 am »
All right cool.
And what do you mean what am I using for sketches?
  • My Photostream

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 05:32:06 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Are ya pencil/paper and scanning, or using Photoshop for the sketches?

I personally use apps like openCanvas and shiPainter for sketches, then vector in Flash
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 05:37:30 am »
Ahhh yeah pencil and paper for sketching. I'm pretty terrible at drawing using programs.. maybe it'd be different if I had tablet, but I'm really not good at it. Even when I'm spriting, I have issues making certain shapes and things look as I would on paper. So, that's what I'm doing now. I'll probably vector in illustrator as I've never used flash, but I'm sure I could figure it out.. Adobe generally keeps the same tools throughout their programs. :P But I'm more comfortable with illustrator.
  • My Photostream

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 05:39:02 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Ah very good :D

Yeah I have a tablet to work from XD It's pretty cool though because it has a cover that lets me put in a drawing I made on paper so I can trace over it :P
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 05:40:55 am »
That's pretty cooool  :D
I'll have to look into getting a tablet someday... but I do love pencil and paper.

Thanks again for the advice.
  • My Photostream
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 53 queries.

anything