ZFGC CP > Management

Story Pass: Fourth Chapter

<< < (2/5) > >>

Max.:
Yeah, I like bomb sniping! That'd be a cool puzzle element. Bomb flowers are awesome, we should definitely use them somehow.

I dunno about interfering with the mining, though, if the Gorons' teeth are all rotting, what are they mining for? I was imagining that they had kinda shut everything down, but... I guess we should figure out what exactly the Gorons are doing. They haven't starved to death, which I guess means they must be pre-chewing the rocks, by crushing them up to a powder or something. Which is embarrassing, that's probably one reason that they don't want anybody coming in to see them.

What Im thinking is that with the Deku and Zora, they had problems solved before Link could advance, which makes sense, gameplay wise. We need a specific thing for Link to do before he can get into the mines. We've before stated, I believe, that the Goron Elders won't let anybody into the dungeon - the Violet Ore mines- and have shut down the mine cart track that leads there. So Link needs to do something that will prove to the elders that he is worthy of entering. Or sneak in. Whichever.

So Deku were fighting within themselves, Link helped get a leader. Then he defeated their outside attacker, the fungus.
The Zora were missing their leaders, Link rescued them. Then he defeated the outside attackers, the Zola.
The Goron... Have a smaller problem, we don't know what. Then Link will solve their major problem which caused the smaller one, the tooth rot.

So, we've gotta come up with a smaller problem for Link to solve. And also keep in mind that the bow doesn't even have to be on the mountain, Link could get it before venturing up there. And we've also got the chance to have some stuff back in Hyrule Town.

Back in Hyrule Town, what needs to be developed? Link has aldready been told the next cog is with the Gorons. Link needs to start reuniting with gang members, if he hasn't already. Perhaps it was optional before, but now is mandatory. Here's one way to do that:

You can do this any time after defeating the Deku dungeon. One of Link's gang members is in the city somewhere, and needs help, per this idea:

http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=40222.0

I'm still partial to that sidequest, but if we decide against it, then we could just use the fighting another gang mechanic once, here.

Basically, any time after the Deku dungeon, there will be a few kids from a rival gang blocking off an area. Link can fight their leader, and if he wins, they will run away. One of Link's gang members will run up and explain that the other gang has been taking over Link's gang's turf, and attacking them if they try to pass by. Now that they're gone, Link can enter this area, and that gang member will be found around town, now sympathetic to Link and convinced that Link didn't betray them.

The area Link has unlocked by beating these guys will have an entrance to the sewer. Swimming won't be necessary for this part, but by traversing through it, Link comes out outside the city walls to a small grove where there is a shrine. Defeating a stronger enemy here will make a chest containing the bow appear.

This way, the player can get the bow anytime between the Deku temple and trying to get into Goron mountain, but he won't be able to get into the main part of Goron mountain until he has the water cog, to preserve the sequence, but still allow some flexibility.

Mirby:
Ooh I like the sound of that. Always love when I can get items earlier than normal in a Zelda game.

Hmm... maybe Link could help them find a hidden vein of edible rocks for the gorons? it would be small, so it would only last a little while... Bomb sniping could be used to explode distant bombs and ultimately reveal the hidden vein. But shortly after, that vein is lost so you need to destroy the root of the problem. It was the bad rocks, the Violet Ore, that caused the tooth rot, no?

My thinking is that if the Gorons haven't been able to eat a lot of rocks, perhaps they're getting close to hunger. A smaller problem would be the hunger issue, and finding the hidden vein of soft edible pure rocks would solve that. But even then, there's still the issue of tooth rot that would have to be solved, the bigger issue.

That sound good?

Max.:
Well, the problem with that is that if your teeth are rotten, it doesn't matter how many rocks there are to eat, you can't eat them, your teeth are rotten. I've been assuming that the Gorons have plenty of rocks to eat, it's just that the Violet Ore they tried ruined their teeth and now they can't eat anything.

Since this chapter is pretty Maple-focused, maybe we could involve her even more. Here's an idea I just had:

As Link arrives in the Goron city, Maple arrives too. They race each other to the Elder's chamber, and on their way, Maple accidentally knocks over a rock, which rolls and destroys a steam pipe for the central mineral processor, the big blender the Gorons have developed that allows them to crush rocks to dust and get their nutrition without chewing. Maple flees the area in the cloud of steam that billows out of the crushed pipe, and the Gorons catch Link and take him to the elder.

Link explains what happened, and why they were both heading to meet the elder. The elder is angry, since 1) he doesn't even want anybody visiting the Gorons in the first place, and 2) that steam pipe was made out of rare Goro ore. He explains the ore predicament to Link, and works out a deal. He'll free Link to go look for the cog if Link can find more Goro Ore to repair the steam pipe. If Link fails to find more Goro ore, the elder will throw him in Goron Jail!

Link explores the mountain, climbing ever higher through the rocky cliffs and old mining equipment, until he finds an abandoned cave near the peak that contains a chest with Goro ore. Of course, it's protected by a mini-boss, but using bomb flowers, Link makes the creature flee and gets the ore.

Taking it back down to the Gorons, the elder finds that it's more than enough, in fact they can use the leftover ore to... Make a stronger door in the canyon to keep Link out! Dagnabbit. Reluctantly, the elder allows Link passage onto the mine cart that will take him to the Violet Mines.

Anyway, that's one idea I just thought up, we could do other stuff too. I'll keep thinking.

Mirby:
I was thinking the ore would be incredibly mushy, almost paste-like. For instance, when one has their jaw wired shut, everything they eat needs to be a liquid (or close enough to one). The hidden vein would be of similar consistency.

Your idea's okay too, though.

MG-Zero:
How about this:

The Gorons at first are grinding their rocks down to powder to be able to eat them.  However, the effects of the tooth rot are progressively getting worse and before they know it, it's too painful for some Gorons to even eat powder.  As such, they find the mushy ore, which goes down easy but doesn't really contain the nutrients they need.  So, they start experimenting with combining the two - now they have mush + powder which can be eaten by Gorons with the worsening condition!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Go to full version