ZFGC CP > Sprites/Tiles

Underwater diving

<< < (2/4) > >>

Max.:
Love the tiles and idea, especially the colors. For actual map design though, I think there's gonna need to be a bit less depth though, since Link wouldn't be able to just shoot up over the layers of wall, right? I mean, this is still a 2D game so we should consider how the mechanics should work. I imagine it's gonna be like Oracle of Ages' mermaid suit or HM Dive in Pokemon sapphire/ruby, where it's basically like walking on another map, but with a different animation (swimming).

Or are we gonna have great changes in undersea elevation, but Link stays swimming at a certain elevation near the surface? So you'd see the floor drop out, see different heights below him, but he'd just swim right over. If so, we could wall in the maps with certain walls, while other walls he just ignores since he's actually near the surface you can't see. If this is the case, how will he interact with things on the seabed?

Lol, basically, same question about showing Link's relative depth as Miles, just he probably phrased it better.

Miles07:

--- Quote from: Donotfeedthemax on July 24, 2015, 11:21:38 pm ---Love the tiles and idea, especially the colors. For actual map design though, I think there's gonna need to be a bit less depth though, since Link wouldn't be able to just shoot up over the layers of wall, right? I mean, this is still a 2D game so we should consider how the mechanics should work. I imagine it's gonna be like Oracle of Ages' mermaid suit or HM Dive in Pokemon sapphire/ruby, where it's basically like walking on another map, but with a different animation (swimming).

Or are we gonna have great changes in undersea elevation, but Link stays swimming at a certain elevation near the surface? So you'd see the floor drop out, see different heights below him, but he'd just swim right over. If so, we could wall in the maps with certain walls, while other walls he just ignores since he's actually near the surface you can't see. If this is the case, how will he interact with things on the seabed?

--- End quote ---

If he keep Link at the surface of the water, then could we introduce a diving mechanic similar to OoT? Like, Link can dive a certain distance, but will then come back up after a certain amount of time/distance? And he could upgrade his diving capabilities somehow, so he could dive longer/further, or even change direction while diving, etc.
Also, this lends itself to using a 'Iron Boots/Zora Tunic'-like combination well, if you choose to go in that direction.

Max.:
Hmm, yeah. Which isn't that great for 2D, leading me to think we should keep things flatter?

SpritingBrad:
I was thinking it should be more like the pokemon underwater diving, he just dives near the surface but goes ontop of the abyss areas and stuff. Since it is a completely different "world" from the overworld, lets make it so it doesn´t have a shadow. With the layers on top, the player will not notice it. I mean in pokemon, it doesn´t have a shadow when he dives.

Miles07:
I've thought of another idea: Four Swords Adventures.
In FSA they have the blur effect for height differences, for example for the Floormasters. Maybe that could be considered?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Go to full version