Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 52   Go Down

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: The Shadowgazer is dead - long live The Shadowgazer!  (Read 386348 times)

Re: The Legend of Zelda: The Shadowgazer (26/6/2...
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2006, 08:50:46 pm »
This week's update is just a few words about what I've been working on this week, and a little insight into how I'm developing some of the gameplay concepts.
Work is continuing on the first dungeon. Still building the rooms, but I've just coded some overlays and floating ember particles to try and make the place look hot-like-a-volcano-hot.
I've also been experimenting with how I'm going to show the difference between day and night. I didn't just want to darken the room. I think it only makes things look murky, and I wanted to keep the colourful look of MC, so I tried re-colouring a sample screen. Just a mock-up, but here are the results:
Day:

Night:

My game probably makes more use of its day/night cycle than most - makes sense if the game revolves around sleep - so I'm trying to make it look pretty unique.
I've decided to give every NPC their own unique sleeping patterns, because I was worried it would make for a linear playing experience if everyone went about their business during the day and slept during the night. I thought it would remove any need to go into the nightmare world during the day. So I figured if I put, for example, a bar in the game it would need a barman who would work evenings and sleep during the day, plus it would need patrons... So you should be able to go into the nightmare world whenever you wanted and there would still be something to do.
But that led me to thinking "If these people were being plagued by such bad nightmares all the time, why would they ever want to go to sleep?! Surely they'd want to stay awake as long as they could!?" So I came up with the idea of using a rotating, Majora's Mask-style, three day sequence, basically just placing key NPCs in certain places at certain times - giving them more of a 'life' beyond on/off sleeping. Nothing disastrous is gonna happen at the end of these three days though - no moons fall from the sky, the sequence just starts over. You'll be able to keep track of where people are and at what times, and what their sleeping habits are, using a Bomber's Notebook-style planner.

As ever, your comments would be welcome!
Cheers,

KM
Re: The Legend of Zelda: The Shadowgazer (4/7/20...
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2006, 09:27:56 pm »
i tried demo1, and it was pretty good
the game ticks too slow, increase gamespeed
crashing into things works, but we both know its not a linear motion

i guess you will be or already have added sounds(?)

you definitely have something going here...
ill try demo2 tomorrow and post again

My Child Is Student of The Month at Neverland Ranch!
  • SSEdit
« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2006, 05:04:35 pm »
Eh, since I'm a big fan of MC, I can tell that you just used the graveyard tiles for "night" (recoloring a few things like the grass, bushes, flowers, etc.) so to me, it just looks like a spooky-ish graveyard place rather than nightime.
« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2006, 05:30:19 pm »
Good job, I like those nighttime screens ;). Keep going and this will be just as famous as OOT2D was before TRM disappeared ( no offense, Daniel! ).
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2006, 05:49:02 pm »
Eh, since I'm a big fan of MC, I can tell that you just used the graveyard tiles for "night" (recoloring a few things like the grass, bushes, flowers, etc.) so to me, it just looks like a spooky-ish graveyard place rather than nightime.
Sure, but I always assumed that the stuff in the graveyard was designed to look like it was set at night... But I agree, and I don't think it's right for this purpose. I think it's the way to go, but maybe it should be more blue than purple:

That work any better?

i tried demo1, and it was pretty good
the game ticks too slow, increase gamespeed
crashing into things works, but we both know its not a linear motion
We do? Sorry, I have no idea what you mean by that.
Still, faint praise from the brains behind "the best zelda engine there is"? I must be doing something right! :P
« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2006, 05:51:13 pm »
The blue color looks much better, IMO n__n
Keep it up!
« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2006, 09:46:21 pm »
  • =/
Since its night shouldn't link get a bit darker? (Bright green in the middle of the night dosen't look right)

rhalifax

Pixelated Tree
« Reply #87 on: July 07, 2006, 12:23:09 am »
  • I'm here for the Bacon
so beautiful must eat it wait I mean play it!
its perfect so so clean lookins and matches i'm in awe

excuse me I'm speechless.

EDIT: Downloading the demo to try it out but with dial up (as of now) its pretty crappy speed. Anyways, I was thinking that since you're basing it on dreams and nightmares you could have something along the lines of sages or something that need to be awaken to stop the evil from taking over, and with each sage you have to enter their dreams/nightmares and defeat the monster that put them in their slumber. And each sages dream could be like a dungeon.

EDIT AGAIN: I just played the demo its good but link was a little slow on this comp but it didnt lock up he just moved slow (my comp is crap so thats probably the problem) btw do you have your ingame menus done?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 12:51:24 am by hbrandinewm »
Pixelated Tree. | I make crappy Youtube videos now.
XBL- aaronshatonyou | PSN- cpt ehren | Steam- cptehren
  • Pixelated Tree
« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2006, 11:26:35 am »
  • Am i here or am i not?...
Since its night shouldn't link get a bit darker? (Bright green in the middle of the night dosen't look right)

Yeah and the stones... :o
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2006, 09:48:41 am »
Good work, as always. Are you going to enter this in Z3?
I like the new blue colours, it looks perfect. I think Link and the stones should keep their day-time look, however.
Although, please try to optimize the code, it's runs slower on other computers...
Re: The Legend of Zelda: The Shadowgazer (20/7/2...
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2006, 09:08:35 pm »
Good work, as always. Are you going to enter this in Z3?
I like the new blue colours, it looks perfect. I think Link and the stones should keep their day-time look, however.
Although, please try to optimize the code, it's runs slower on other computers...
Thanks. I've thought about it a lot, and I've decided I won't be entering z3, sadly. I don't have the time or, given the tight deadline, the inclination to prepare another demo just for the sake of showing something nobody's seen before. My intention to release the opening part of the game as the demo proper still stands, and for now, that's not gonna change.
I don't want to give the impression that I'm down on the whole thing, but it's just too short notice for me to take part. Just one of those things, I guess. But The Shadowgazer will be there at the next one. With a vengeance. ;D

EDIT AGAIN: I just played the demo its good but link was a little slow on this comp but it didnt lock up he just moved slow (my comp is crap so thats probably the problem) btw do you have your ingame menus done?
Seems to be a few people saying the demo's running slowly on their computers. :-\ I'll see what I can do to optimise the code for the next demo, but I have a feeling any slowdown is due to the sheer number of objects and tiles in that room. I'll experiment with a few things, but I can't promise any huge improvement...
And, yes, I have my menu subscreens done now. Still using a few placeholder graphics, but the layout is pretty much finalised.

Nah, I'm just trying to create an atmosphere, not simulate realistic lighting. It's a stylistic decision rather than a technical one. All the character sprites will retain their original colours, as they did in the graveyard in MC.

On that subject, the clock has been fully integrated now. Each 12 hour period lasts roughly 5 mins, though the timings will change when I can get more of a feel for how the gameplay flows. And I've not quite decided how the transition between day and night should happen. At the moment the change is instantaneous, but this is obviously a temporary measure.

That was me being sidetracked though - work on the first dungeon is still the main focus. At the moment I'm spriting and animating some of the mobs. For example, the Lizalfos:

Still a WIP, and as they're based on the Lizalfos from TP, they probably won't stay nekkid. :P

Not much of an update, I know, but it's slow going at the moment and there's really not much more to show!

rhalifax

Pixelated Tree
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2006, 11:30:24 pm »
  • I'm here for the Bacon
it looks really good I like the sprite!  ;D

I can't wait until the next demo too!
  • Pixelated Tree
« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2006, 11:42:38 pm »
WoW Lizalfos sprite rox my sox off XD you should make a Support banner!
« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2006, 12:24:33 am »
  • Back again.
...n_____n....tears of joy, for possible the best original fangame ever. If and when you finish it, you should submit it to Nintendo, and see if they'd publish with your name on it.
Just kinda moseying along.
« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2006, 02:11:52 am »
...n_____n....tears of joy, for possible the best original fangame ever. If and when you finish it, you should submit it to Nintendo, and see if they'd publish with your name on it.
I hope you are kidding...
« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2006, 02:21:52 am »
  • Back again.
Eh, it'd be cool.
Just kinda moseying along.
« Reply #96 on: July 26, 2006, 02:02:06 pm »
That's a fantastic Lizalfos :). I wish my sprites were as good as that.

rhalifax

Pixelated Tree
« Reply #97 on: July 26, 2006, 07:00:23 pm »
  • I'm here for the Bacon
That's a fantastic Lizalfos :). I wish my sprites were as good as that.

me too :'(

WoW Lizalfos sprite rox my sox off XD you should make a Support banner!
You should I would def put it in my sig!
  • Pixelated Tree
« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2006, 03:56:48 am »
Where did you learn to sprite? Man, if I could sprite like that, my game 'd me moving twice as quickly.

Solarrain4

The Blurred Line In-Between
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2006, 02:16:49 am »
  • ...Is it recording?
Holy $#!???... I can't wait for the demo! Keep up the good work, and don't let your efforts go to waste ;)
06/29/2014 - forever and always <3
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 52   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 78 queries.