Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Contests and Events  (Read 3309 times)

Contests and Events
« on: September 26, 2008, 03:39:22 am »
It has been previously brought up that we should have more of them, but it hasn't been put into practice and seemingly it has not been that seemingly considered.  So I am bringing this up again and offering what I would want in contests or events.

- Halloween Event -
The forum or site could be decked out with a Graveyard color scheme based around the Legend of Zelda's Dampe.  At one time in the past we had a costume contest, and even college students dress up, so it would work.  It doesn't have to be that big, but if gives a community feel, it would be alright.

- Mock Election/Character Competition 2008 -
With the United States Presidential election coming up and politics being the issue of a majority of the users here, I think this event would be good.  Especially considering that we did not have a character competition this year, it might be neat to have an event like this even if it is smaller that previous competitions.  Because most of us are not of the Republican persuasion, the "parties" would be best handled by something Zelda themed or something.  I don't know, other input would be appreciated for this idea.

- Christmas Event -
Having this would be good as well.  Having users submit resources privately that would be made pubic in one large showing.  Administrator -> Santa, Moderator -> Elf.  Even though it's old, we could have a Line Rider sledding contest - lol, random, but I'm just thinking of ideas.  If a popular online game comes out around this holiday though, we could perhaps have a mini-tournament. 

- Any Game Tournament -
It's fun to whoop on people in video games.  Nuff said.

So meh, I know, it's been brought up, but let's commit to something.  NCFC should be good as well, but beyond that we need to do local things here as well.  So the point of this topic is to feasibly come up with ways to have any of these events or contests that can be done in a way which most people would find decent or better.

Re: Contests and Events
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 04:53:24 am »
  • I need something new to put here...
Halloween event- This could be fun, we could run a 'design a costume' where entrants design a costume and have to create something, whether Pixel art, a vector, a sketch, the actual thing, showing this costume, then users vote on it.

Mock election/Character comp- Disregards the mock election, it focuses too much on America and not all the users would apreciate an American based competition, however I do support the character competition idea, maybe make an Autumn one or Winter one this year...

Christmas event- A bit far off, maybe a project cometition, whether a movie, sprite, game, artwork, or anything else you can think of, have them all put together and showcased.

Game tournament- Yeah... maybe. It gives people inspiration but most of the games are half-baked to try to reach the dead-line in my experience.

We do need more events IMO
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 05:25:35 am »
For the Halloween one, a costume contest is the most feasible, practical idea as it has happened in the past and even as college students people have costumes to wear.  As for having a development contest based around the holiday, there are plenty of skeletons, monsters, and elements of Zelda that would fit perfect with the holiday.  Examples of development submissions could be retellings of Halloween stories or something like a mini-game where there are houses, Link is wearing a mask, it's night, and you have to have bombs placed so that when they open the door they get blown up.  I don't know, those examples are a bit poor, but the idea is that as a contest it is open to a lot of creative interpretation.

I was thinking that since a lot of users here are American and that much of world is tuned in to American news when the election is going on that the elections could work.  I was thinking that the elections would be an easy way to have a stunted, short character competition that would not be totally judged in regard to past competitions and would still hold its own due to its theme.  The fall and winter months for college students can be hectic with finals weeks, but there are a number of breaks, so a regular character competition could work.  It would just have to have a dedicated group of people who could handle it all for it to at least exist well.

The Christmas one is the iffiest because people go on vacations around that time or are visiting or being visited by family so if anything it would have to be pretty small - more focused on casual forum based things than large events.  It would just be more difficult to have something over a lot period of time when schedules would easily conflict.

And yeah, game tournaments are a must.  Most users here have a Wii or PS3 or Xbox360 with a good Internet connection.  These really work when there is some downtime in people's lives. 
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 05:43:27 am »
  • I need something new to put here...
I think the old character competition way would work better than an election, because in the election, you have to create a charcater who wants to become president, while with the charactet comp, you can have any reason for th character to be voted for.
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 05:48:26 am »
Yeah, that is true.  Framing a character competition around the idea of an election would be limiting as the basis for participation in past competitions was that they were not too serious, they were entertaining, and they were inclusive to a large number of participants as well as receptive to plain viewers. 
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 07:40:45 am »
  • Minalien
I was thinking that since a lot of users here are American and that much of world is tuned in to American news when the election is going on that the elections could work.
I am so utterly disgusted with hearing about the elections that I will kill you if you think of bringing them into any competitions <.<;
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 08:18:11 am »
Well there is the chance of over-saturation of politics, but that is just because this United States political election has been going on for more than a year.  I guess I am starting to see the futility of what it would be inherited by its novelty - having something small for frills is often just gimmicky.   
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 03:00:26 am »
This topic kind of died and with at least Halloween coming I thought I would Frankenstein it to life again.  It could use more opinions or a response of some kind in kind. 
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 03:38:05 am »
Well, you got my support, there hasn't been any activity in a while.. apart from the contest that, it would be nicer a halloween contest not going into "make a halloween game" or something like that.. I prefer people posting pictures and we rate them and decide the winner..
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 03:52:42 am »
Jack-O-Lantern carving contests?
Costume contests for sure...
Halloween multimedia competition (divisions in artwork, audio, film, storytelling, etc)
Perhaps a photography contest of Halloween related/scary subjects? :p (ie. houses around your neighbourhood, creepy locations, or even just.. parties/whatever you did for Halloween)

Just throwing some stuff out there?
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 04:19:50 am »
Jack-O-Lantern carving contests?
Costume contests for sure...
Halloween multimedia competition (divisions in artwork, audio, film, storytelling, etc)
Perhaps a photography contest of Halloween related/scary subjects? :p (ie. houses around your neighbourhood, creepy locations, or even just.. parties/whatever you did for Halloween)

Just throwing some stuff out there?
If it was photography or music, I'm sure you'd win :P.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 04:20:33 am »
Well for a Halloween game development contest, having a full game was not what I had in mind, but something small that just had some element of it being Halloween-related; e.g. a mini-game or just something that shows a concept like Link with a shovel digging up bodies.  Some of the submissions could be stupid, but at least there could be some participation.

Jack-O-Lantern carving sounds fun, lol, and easy to do.  The multimedia competition you mentioned sounds like a really, really, really good idea though in that it is so broad.  I could even use my LEGO to make something for it.  It would not be that hard for many people to participate, but it would be hard to judge unless submissions were put into respective groups; which wouldn't really be hard to do.  The photography thing is something you'd win though because your photos are so epic, >.<. 

The costume contest though that we have had in the past wasn't really that official or anything, it was just for the heck of it.  Really all it was comprised of then was just a big poll with all those participating that just finished up and everyone was happy about it.
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 02:54:50 am »
Update: http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=31647.0

I set up the Halloween event in case no one saw it.  No one has posted in it yet, but oh well.  Looking at the NCFC and how they are having a mini-game thing there as well once that starts, having a mini-game for that and making one compatible for this event would not be that difficult; I am trying to say that you could kill two birds with one stone and whatnot.  I thought about the pumpkin carving and story-writing, but omitted them as stories might come off as generic and not everyone wants to buy a pumpkin.

If anyone has concerns over the event in its current form, I can make some edits, lol.  And like I said, the contest has multiple parts and one does not have to do all of them.
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 07:16:46 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Actually the election thing could be fun as long as everyone creates the craziest characters possible for it...you know, things with completely outlandish views. Anyone with a layman's interest in English Politics will know of the Monster Raving Loony Party, I'm thinking we call create characters who are running with campaign promises in the same vein as their policies :P

"My name is Up McTight, I promise everyone must wear top hats on a tuesday when it is raining, but no rainbows are formed. Anyone caught without top hats on such a day are to have the words 'hatless' tattooed onto or around their genitalia. This society has been hatless for far too long, it is time for change! Time for growth! Time for Top Hats! Some call me crazy for demanding this, I say

Yes. I. Am!"
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 07:19:40 pm by TheDarkJay »
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 08:34:00 pm »
Meh, the more I think about the election idea, the more it makes sense to just make it more and more oriented to what we had previously in terms of the character contest.  The election in itself gets gimmicky.  Overall, it would only work if we had a lot of character competitions to the point where the character competitions themselves got gimmicky. 

Overall, new contest ideas have to be approached in small increments for them to work on ZFGC practically or the ideas have to be universally accepted.

Anyway, on the note of character competitions, I could surely handle News box and feed updates for it easily, but the accompanying images would have to be done by someone else.  Like, Yubel, for example, he's good with that stuff, really, he's f'ing reliable which is awesome.  Essentially having a character competition this winter holiday would also not be that hard in that we would all have more down time.
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2008, 05:25:34 pm »
Oh, and I know that I am bumping this, but for good reason.  I was wondering if anyone had ideas or could improve upon the Halloween Contest that was held. 

I was thinking more about the LEGO contest one.  I looked on the LEGO website and apparently they have a free software download for something called LEGO Digital Designer.  While this does not have every little piece, it does have a significant amount.  So I was thinking that even those who did not have LEGO handy but would be interested in the contest could use that program to create what it is that they wanted to show.  Those with real LEGO could use their own real LEGO as well.  Essentially the contest would be to just create something from the Zelda universe, such as the Great Deku Tree, Lake Hylia, etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 70 queries.

anything