Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: LoZ:BotW  (Read 17401 times)

Re: LoZ:BotW
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2016, 08:17:57 pm »
  • Wooper Don't Give a !@#$%
im stoked for it but im gonna wait on the NX version man
ROLL TIDE WHAT? **** YOU!!! Geaux Tiga

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
  • Gamers & Developers Unlimited
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2016, 03:14:40 am »
Game looks nice enough. I'm happy i don't have to deal with waggling my hand to attack FU SS! NEVER FORGET!!

Better Forget! and wait for SS HD ;-) w/o timey winey wiggely waggeling controls
Haha, oh SS :(

I honestly lost interest the longer I watched the livestream.  I had plenty of time at work to watch it without interruptions and it just felt unimpressive to me.  If this iteration had already been released as a Wii U launch title or 2013, I would have felt different.  Now, there are so many openworld games that it doesn't feel inspired in any way from my perspective.

The whole Amiibo, bring an ally, seems like a straight money grab as well.  I get it and all, but it jsut didn't sit right with me.

Nothing about what they showed felt like a real Zelda title.  Sure, you had Link and a HUD and stuff, but where was the dungeon expo?  Where were the awesome puzzles?  Where were some concept item usage?  All you got was crafting(every other rpg since Minecraft/Elder Scrolls), weapon inventory other than main sword(I know they been playing with this since Wind Waker but I never felt it belonged in a Zelda title), and some gimmick surfboard on your shield stuff.

As I watched the stream, I really thought I was watching SotC 2 with Zelda skinned over everything.  To me, that isn't a Zelda title.  I guess my love for the Zelda franchise begins at LoZ then ended at TP(even that felt a little too big at times).  No issues with huge Zelda games in general but if trekking across a giant overworld gives you the feeling that your $60 was well spent, you might as well grab TES games for dirt cheap on steam and walk around out there.

That said, I will probably pick it up in a couple years at $20 to experience it one time to truly see if I will enjoy it.  Too many other titles I am interested in this year.

The main sword might not even be usable for awhile lol. The main thing of that treehouse was "you can find weapons to use, they break".

Which seems irritating to me. I don't wanna fight Gohma and have my damn weapon break during the battle and be like !@#$% wtf do i do.

im stoked for it but im gonna wait on the NX version man

Not stoked enough nutmeg! Buy all the versions! At least 5x the copies.

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2016, 04:23:00 am »
  • .越//
Nothing about what they showed felt like a real Zelda title.  Sure, you had Link and a HUD and stuff, but where was the dungeon expo?  Where were the awesome puzzles?  Where were some concept item usage?  All you got was crafting(every other rpg since Minecraft/Elder Scrolls), weapon inventory other than main sword(I know they been playing with this since Wind Waker but I never felt it belonged in a Zelda title), and some gimmick surfboard on your shield stuff.

didn't that count?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4FMrndVpWs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4FMrndVpWs</a>

i mean they only showed the starting area, but for that its a pretty good start

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

Minish Cap Beta:Firerod Icon, Majoras Mask:ChuChu, Ocarina of Time:Gossip Stone, Oracle Series:Link plays the "Herpes of Ages", Impa, Wand Maker: HUD
~GB-Zelda Style~
Ocarina of Time: Deku Caca
~Other~
Paper Mario Style Zelda&Link, Tetra Trackers HUD-Cleanups

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2016, 04:37:48 pm »
  • 笑い男
in a couple years at $20
Unless you mean second hand or something, then I have a feeling you're going to have a rather hard time doing that considering the way Nintendo games keep their prices.

Anyway, to re-iterate what said stream already showed the world many times over, the entire concept since the game was revealed last year is about breaking zelda conventions. Didn't sound like the safest bet for zelda fans to me either at the time, and especially to me as I prefer being lead through a solidly designed story more than just the big promise but shallow execution of current "open world" games, but considering the reception, it seems like it's going very well actually.

The wolf link amiibo is currently only available for those that got it with TP HD. It's them giving that amiibo more usages/value after release to those that went and got it, more than just forcing you to go out and buy it as some sort of DLC.

I have to admit that I've barely played the original zelda, but it's supposedly like a 3D spiritual successor to it in terms of the world and how you go about tackling it all, where your hand isn't held and you can get yourself killed very easily.

There will be dungeons apparently, but also small "shrines", which they showed 4 of on stream, and of which there are over 100 of. They also showed a variety of new weapons/tools which can be used in various ways to again interact with the environment and create all sorts of opportunities to further tackle whatever other puzzles/the world itself.

However, they also specifically said that they weren't showing any story, including towns/dungeons etc to not spoil anything for anyone who may tune in and watch at any time, considering they were streaming throughout the entire day, and to also just focus on the gameplay and the feel of the world which said gameplay takes place in, which alone was apparently enough to make queues the size of the 10 year prior wii ones for the one game Nintendo filled its entire booth space with (which was the same size as always), and still not be enough for everyone, even with > 30 min sessions just in the starting area, which says a lot.

The inventory as well, while may seem like something done over and over for eternity, is actually done in a way I myself haven't exactly seen before, and seems to cure a very big problem that plagues such systems up until now. That being, the hoarding of items to just tediously sell when you get the chance for a little bit of cash, only switching weapons very rarely and generally sticking to the same thing the entire game in the end. With this game however, with everything breaking very easily and there always being a ton of options and variety of things to pick up in the world, the game forces you to try out all sorts to survive, meaning all those weapons aren't just going to waste.

It may look like a your generic open world "wow its so big... but shallow" stuff at a glance, but seeing and hearing about the opportunities the environment throws at you all the time and how you can use what you have at hand, and also need to make use of what its available, in a very polished Nintendo way (which honestly is hugely important here imo), to tackle problems that do not have one "hookshot to target" correct way, does give off a very minecraft feel indeed, with when first playing the game and not having any idea what was possible and where the limits were and what adventures are waiting. That sense of wonder was gaming heaven and if this zelda can bring anything like it, on top of core zelda puzzle solving gameplay, even if it is really mixed up this time (but you can bet the entire game is still completely based around those same concepts), then I can't wait to dive in myself.

Of course you can never please absolutely everyone and I'm still not sure about a link between worlds, another recent zelda that got a good shaking up (even though I had enough fun pretty much 100%-ing it I guess), but I'm excited for it after seeing all the footage and hearing all the stories, to the level of making me wonder if we were watching the same stream? :p

Just going to paste the link from my previous post again here, that summarises what we saw of the game with lots of lovely gifs
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233823

Which seems irritating to me. I don't wanna fight Gohma and have my damn weapon break during the battle and be like !@#$% wtf do i do.
Isn't that the whole idea? To, well, dive in and just deal with stuff when it happens and you either die cause you suck or you do something about it and pull it off which should feel pretty awesome. Or, you plan, gear, up and go in with your well planned out strategy. They're not going to just have everything break all the time and leave you with nothing to fight a boss with. But, this time, they also seem to be adding in a hard mode in the sense that you can dive into fights way out of your league (or maybe not depending on your skill level) if you want to give yourself a challenge.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 04:47:33 pm by hawthorneluke »

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2016, 03:23:19 am »
in a couple years at $20
Unless you mean second hand or something, then I have a feeling you're going to have a rather hard time doing that considering the way Nintendo games keep their prices.

Anyway, to re-iterate what said stream already showed the world many times over, the entire concept since the game was revealed last year is about breaking zelda conventions. Didn't sound like the safest bet for zelda fans to me either at the time, and especially to me as I prefer being lead through a solidly designed story more than just the big promise but shallow execution of current "open world" games, but considering the reception, it seems like it's going very well actually.

The wolf link amiibo is currently only available for those that got it with TP HD. It's them giving that amiibo more usages/value after release to those that went and got it, more than just forcing you to go out and buy it as some sort of DLC.

I have to admit that I've barely played the original zelda, but it's supposedly like a 3D spiritual successor to it in terms of the world and how you go about tackling it all, where your hand isn't held and you can get yourself killed very easily.

There will be dungeons apparently, but also small "shrines", which they showed 4 of on stream, and of which there are over 100 of. They also showed a variety of new weapons/tools which can be used in various ways to again interact with the environment and create all sorts of opportunities to further tackle whatever other puzzles/the world itself.

However, they also specifically said that they weren't showing any story, including towns/dungeons etc to not spoil anything for anyone who may tune in and watch at any time, considering they were streaming throughout the entire day, and to also just focus on the gameplay and the feel of the world which said gameplay takes place in, which alone was apparently enough to make queues the size of the 10 year prior wii ones for the one game Nintendo filled its entire booth space with (which was the same size as always), and still not be enough for everyone, even with > 30 min sessions just in the starting area, which says a lot.

The inventory as well, while may seem like something done over and over for eternity, is actually done in a way I myself haven't exactly seen before, and seems to cure a very big problem that plagues such systems up until now. That being, the hoarding of items to just tediously sell when you get the chance for a little bit of cash, only switching weapons very rarely and generally sticking to the same thing the entire game in the end. With this game however, with everything breaking very easily and there always being a ton of options and variety of things to pick up in the world, the game forces you to try out all sorts to survive, meaning all those weapons aren't just going to waste.

It may look like a your generic open world "wow its so big... but shallow" stuff at a glance, but seeing and hearing about the opportunities the environment throws at you all the time and how you can use what you have at hand, and also need to make use of what its available, in a very polished Nintendo way (which honestly is hugely important here imo), to tackle problems that do not have one "hookshot to target" correct way, does give off a very minecraft feel indeed, with when first playing the game and not having any idea what was possible and where the limits were and what adventures are waiting. That sense of wonder was gaming heaven and if this zelda can bring anything like it, on top of core zelda puzzle solving gameplay, even if it is really mixed up this time (but you can bet the entire game is still completely based around those same concepts), then I can't wait to dive in myself.

Of course you can never please absolutely everyone and I'm still not sure about a link between worlds, another recent zelda that got a good shaking up (even though I had enough fun pretty much 100%-ing it I guess), but I'm excited for it after seeing all the footage and hearing all the stories, to the level of making me wonder if we were watching the same stream? :p

Just going to paste the link from my previous post again here, that summarises what we saw of the game with lots of lovely gifs
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233823

Isn't that the whole idea? To, well, dive in and just deal with stuff when it happens and you either die cause you suck or you do something about it and pull it off which should feel pretty awesome. Or, you plan, gear, up and go in with your well planned out strategy. They're not going to just have everything break all the time and leave you with nothing to fight a boss with. But, this time, they also seem to be adding in a hard mode in the sense that you can dive into fights way out of your league (or maybe not depending on your skill level) if you want to give yourself a challenge.

If i die because i suck at the game fine, but i don't want to die because i'm stuck without a weapon because the weapons i find keep breaking. That's not fun to me lol. But it's Nintendo, i'm sure they'll figure something out for people like me who don't want that much of a hassle.

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2016, 03:30:33 am »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
The main thing of that treehouse was "you can find weapons to use, they break".

It actually seems more realistic than other weapon "durability" mechanics seen in the Zelda series.
  • In Zelda 1, arrows, once fired, are spent forever. You can't pick them up again, despite the fact that in the real world, arrows are reusable.
  • In addition, Zelda 1 has the Magical Shield that can be eaten by Like Likes. Not exactly durability-related, but the fact that it's an item that can go away with use (i.e. unsuccessful use against a Like Like, ya scrub) still makes this warrant a mention.
  • In Ocarina of Time, Deku Sticks on fire can be saved in they are Put Away before they burn down. Um, I'm pretty sure that if Link tried placing something burning into his pack, he'd not last much longer on his adventure.
  • Also in Ocarina of Time, the Giant's Knife can deal a certain number of hits before breaking. And then, it has to be reforged. Same with the Razor Sword in Majora's Mask. Okay, that makes more sense. Where was the problem there?
  • Twilight Princess was the first game, I believe, where Link could pick up arrows that were already shot, but only if certain conditions were met. Like, if an arrow was shot into a tree. That makes absolute sense.
  • Skyward Sword make shield durability a big thing. An added strategy-based mechanic includes the elemental aspect of shields, with wooden shields being susceptible to fire but not electricity and magin, iron shields conduct electricity but don't burn, and magical shields repel both but are considerably weaker. Then there's the reward for fighting through the Boss Rush mode: the unbreakable - but still metal? - Hylian Shield.

I'm guessing the developers are going to be smart enough to avoid putting you into situations where a weapon is required and there's no way out unless you have a weapon, but wait if you don't have a weapon there's one dinky little one right over there. It'd technically be weaker than other weapons you could find/steal/appropriate from baddies, but it'd still be a weapon. (PRO TIP: the infinite bombs you can make with the Shiekah Slate also qualify...)

So basically, Nintendo is taking a mechanic prevalent to Minecraft and applying it to Zelda, and that's not a good thing? Yeah, in Minecraft you can break your super-enchanted Diamond Sword even whilst you are fighting against the Ender Dragon (or multiple!) and suddenly you're left without a weapon. Whoops.
Same idea with Zelda, even though you can likely still find (or steal?) another weapon when needed.
I was talking to my friend last night, and he was mentioning about how in 1980, he thought the internet would become this amazing place where people from across the world would share ideas. I was telling him about how this project [KOT] has worked, lurching along for years and drawn by different people from across the globe, and he thought it was beautiful. And he was right, it's awesome. :D

Zelda Items Spritesheet album (OUT OF DATE) - (link here)
A Link Across Time project - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Metroid) - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Zelda) - (link here)
Boss Keys project Trello Board - (link here)

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2016, 04:35:46 am »
  • .越//
well, when i read those posts about durability of weapons i just think that we are talking here (and only have seen) cheap stuff from lowlevel enemies and placed somewhere in the woods... but i'm 100% sure that "special" weapons like/including the master sword and the hylian shield exist which don't break and maybe can be even reforged like in the 2D Zeldas (L-1/2/3/4) to do more damage.
And I'm guessing too, that the kind of weapon matters against the enemy you're facing... we've seen so far a spear, hammer, axe, sword, firerod and club

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

Minish Cap Beta:Firerod Icon, Majoras Mask:ChuChu, Ocarina of Time:Gossip Stone, Oracle Series:Link plays the "Herpes of Ages", Impa, Wand Maker: HUD
~GB-Zelda Style~
Ocarina of Time: Deku Caca
~Other~
Paper Mario Style Zelda&Link, Tetra Trackers HUD-Cleanups

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2016, 06:37:13 am »
  • 笑い男
It would be hilarious if the same durability rules applied to the master sword lol

If i die because i suck at the game fine, but i don't want to die because i'm stuck without a weapon because the weapons i find keep breaking. That's not fun to me lol. But it's Nintendo, i'm sure they'll figure something out for people like me who don't want that much of a hassle.

Who knows how dungeon like places and places out of the plateau will be like, but while there does seem to be emphasis on "gearing up", from the footage, it does look like you'll still be ending up with weapons faster than they can break. I suppose it'll just mean you end up with a less than great weapon every now and then when certain unexpected things happen that you weren't quite ready for, which is when you'll have to step your game up to deal with said unexpected situations, which I personally is something I love, especially in zelda games. It wouldn't be zelda if everything was straight forward with no thinking.

It would also just be terrible game design to have a puzzle (boss) and no way of actually solving it just because something that happens all the time in the game (weapons breaking) also happens during that puzzle (which by the look of things will be very commonplace anyway, so to overlook it would be insane.)

In the footage, there was some big stone thing which seemed rather tough, but seeing as you can come across all sorts, not in a specific order, it doesn't mean that everyone should be able to deal with that puzzle right there and then. That's often been the case in zelda though, having to go back once you get a very specific item. This time though, it looks like there'll be various natural ways of solving said problems thanks to how free everything is and also with stuff like the physics engine also being very generous.

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2016, 03:12:18 pm »
Also note that durability also depends whether you use your item correctly. A fire rod (it can be found in the demo) will break if you use it as a physical item. Chopping down a tree with a non-axe item will make your item break quickly too. So it's a matter of your actions too that determine the durability of your items which I like. I wouldn't mind a punching attack to knock items out of monsters hands or something. Usually the game provides you with items when a puzzle demands it, so I imagine boss battles will be the same. That or you will NOT be locked in with the boss and no weapon, and can freely leave (refilling the bosses health too perhaps). That'd be something for Nintendo to consider.

Also as for dungeons, there were trials which act as mini-dungeons (optional minus the first four). I am calling it: the Temple of Time is a dungeon... looks too important not to be one. If not, then aw well. Anyone noticed the Temple of Time has the Song of Time slowed down and fragmented? Pretty cool.

Also the voice might definitely be Zelda's as you can hear Zelda's Lullaby in a cutscene with the voice. It's piano only, slow and fragmented too.
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2016, 03:52:44 pm »
Item management looks like a tedious mess though. But granted that also applies to games like Fallout and The Elder Scrolls. So they just kept it simple I suppose.
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2016, 04:38:18 pm »
  • 笑い男
Doesn't look like you can carry tons, and it breaks all the time, so I guess it manages itself in a sense :p

The music though, yeah, that too seems to show the same feelings as the world itself, broken, faint memories of the past (quiet songs, slowed down and broken up).

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2016, 03:08:00 am »
The main thing of that treehouse was "you can find weapons to use, they break".

It actually seems more realistic than other weapon "durability" mechanics seen in the Zelda series.
  • In Zelda 1, arrows, once fired, are spent forever. You can't pick them up again, despite the fact that in the real world, arrows are reusable.
  • In addition, Zelda 1 has the Magical Shield that can be eaten by Like Likes. Not exactly durability-related, but the fact that it's an item that can go away with use (i.e. unsuccessful use against a Like Like, ya scrub) still makes this warrant a mention.
  • In Ocarina of Time, Deku Sticks on fire can be saved in they are Put Away before they burn down. Um, I'm pretty sure that if Link tried placing something burning into his pack, he'd not last much longer on his adventure.
  • Also in Ocarina of Time, the Giant's Knife can deal a certain number of hits before breaking. And then, it has to be reforged. Same with the Razor Sword in Majora's Mask. Okay, that makes more sense. Where was the problem there?
  • Twilight Princess was the first game, I believe, where Link could pick up arrows that were already shot, but only if certain conditions were met. Like, if an arrow was shot into a tree. That makes absolute sense.
  • Skyward Sword make shield durability a big thing. An added strategy-based mechanic includes the elemental aspect of shields, with wooden shields being susceptible to fire but not electricity and magin, iron shields conduct electricity but don't burn, and magical shields repel both but are considerably weaker. Then there's the reward for fighting through the Boss Rush mode: the unbreakable - but still metal? - Hylian Shield.

I'm guessing the developers are going to be smart enough to avoid putting you into situations where a weapon is required and there's no way out unless you have a weapon, but wait if you don't have a weapon there's one dinky little one right over there. It'd technically be weaker than other weapons you could find/steal/appropriate from baddies, but it'd still be a weapon. (PRO TIP: the infinite bombs you can make with the Shiekah Slate also qualify...)

So basically, Nintendo is taking a mechanic prevalent to Minecraft and applying it to Zelda, and that's not a good thing? Yeah, in Minecraft you can break your super-enchanted Diamond Sword even whilst you are fighting against the Ender Dragon (or multiple!) and suddenly you're left without a weapon. Whoops.
Same idea with Zelda, even though you can likely still find (or steal?) another weapon when needed.

Hopefully they won't put you in the situation lol, i didn't know you could use endless bombs using the little Gamepad in game thing. That's pretty cool.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 63 queries.