Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Zelda's We Never Saw... [Compilation]  (Read 3749 times)

The Zelda's We Never Saw... [Compilation]
« on: February 29, 2008, 12:04:06 am »
  • Who's your favorite possum?
Perhaps, the title is a bit misleading, because this isn't really discussing much of substance.  But I like to speculate, and I welcome others and their theories.

First, I might want to mention that for those of you who haven't heard about the Ocarina of Time - Debug ROM, you might want to check some of that information out.  (No ROM links or requesting for ROM links, please.)

Apart from all the neat stuff you can find by exploring around in this copy, it got most of it's fame from showing the "Stalfos Boss Room", which we all know from early Zelda64 videos.

Next, is another obvious one-- The Legend of Zelda: Mystical Seed of Courage, which would have been a third "Oracle of ..." game.  I don't mind that there were only two, but I think the original concept of having three with linking features was pretty darn cool too.

This next bit is rumors of a Zelda 1 BETA.  Personally, as the site states the picture was featured in the original manual, I think it was probably just a challenge mode option they took out to avoid confusion.  Doubt if this BETA somehow did exist that it would be impressive.

The next two things are VERY impressive, though (although most of you have, again, probably seen these already).  First we have a prototype for Link's Awakening from an old NP magazine.  Here's a scan:

If this was out there somewhere, I'm sure we'd ALL be very interested as to what this is like.  Some have suggested that it might have been closer to aLttP in that, there may have been a "dark Hyrule" or something.  Open to discussion, jerks. :)

This is the thing that gets me the most excited, though, because I'm a huge fan of the BS Zelda games.  It appears to be a SNES remake of Zelda II:

Have anything to contribute to the thread/discussion?  Post away!
Re: The Zelda's We Never Saw... [Compilation]
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 12:31:54 am »
The Zelda that Wind Waker was going to be before the graphical change could count I guess.

• RPG Empire
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 12:34:43 am »
The Zelda that Wind Waker was going to be before the graphical change could count I guess.

Wasn't that just from a technical fighting demo they showed off?
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 12:38:08 am »
Yeah, but that's basically what we all thought Game Cube's Zelda was gonna be for the longest time.
  • RPG Empire
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 12:41:23 am »
  • If words are scarce they are seldom spent in vain
Well there was the Ancient Stone Pedal (Kodai no Sekiban I believe) one in the BS series, though it did leak out as roms so I'm not really sure if that one would count.

By the way does anyone know if the original ocarina of time addon with the n64 dd was a different version then our master quest version? 'Cause I can remember reading that somewhere, not sure if it's true though.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 12:46:38 am by nasune »

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 12:41:33 am »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.

Wasn't that just from a technical fighting demo they showed off?
Well, technically it was a Zelda we never got.

I guess the third Oracle of... game is one that never came out.
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 12:47:29 am »
Yes, the SpaceWorld 2000 Demo!  There's a video for that.  (And guys, please tell me if I get any broken links... that tends to happen a lot to me. :P)

It was a tech demo, but we thought that was going to be the graphics of the next Zelda.  Also... Soul Calibur II is sorta like that. :P  Stretching it, though.

Well there was the Ancient Stone Pedal (Kodai no Sekiban I believe) one in the BS series, though it did leak out as roms so I'm not really sure if that one would count.
Yes, Ancient Stone Tablets is on the BS Zelda web site.  Pretty darn great for a remix of LTTP (easier too, for those of you-like me-who thought the SNES game was a bit hard).

[EDIT]

By the way does anyone know if the original ocarina of time addon with the n64 dd was a different version then our master quest version? 'Cause I can remember reading that somewhere, not sure if it's true though.
Yes!  It was an "expansion pack" that required the original cartridge.  It was supposed to have a lot of different features, but it was never released (in Japan or out) and we don't have any screenies or anything.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 12:49:20 am by 2awesome4apossum »
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 12:52:34 am »
Ah damnit I really would've liked to play the dd version then, I mean master quest was fun but I expected a bit more from it. Still I was satisfied with it 'till now.

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 01:07:08 am »
  • Your expression has changed too
Here's an interesting one, originally Capcom was going to make six Zelda games on Game Boy Color, two of which were going to be remakes of previous titles, and the other four were going to be original games. Eventually the remakes were scrapped, as was the fourth game, and they decided to make a trilogy. The games in the trilogy would interact with eachother via the link cable and passwords, but they were having difficulty linking three games together, so they settled on two instead. One of the two was a remake of the original Zelda, but they were having difficulty with it and the game was scrapped. However, many of the bosses were included in the Oracle games, likely leftover from the abandoned Zelda 1 remake.
Ghoster Poster
  • I have a Twitter if you're into that kinda thing
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 01:36:28 am »
Here's an interesting one, originally Capcom was going to make six Zelda games on Game Boy Color, two of which were going to be remakes of previous titles, and the other four were going to be original games. Eventually the remakes were scrapped, as was the fourth game, and they decided to make a trilogy. The games in the trilogy would interact with eachother via the link cable and passwords, but they were having difficulty linking three games together, so they settled on two instead. One of the two was a remake of the original Zelda, but they were having difficulty with it and the game was scrapped. However, many of the bosses were included in the Oracle games, likely leftover from the abandoned Zelda 1 remake.
Do you have a source?  I remember an interview with Miyamoto that said the "project" started out as a remake of "Zelda 1", but didn't work because the GBC screen is more square than a tv screen, so it wouldn't fit, and the remnants you see of their efforts can be found in Oracle of Seasons (which, judging by the first dungeon alone should be painfully obvious for veterans of the first).
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 02:20:53 am »
  • ๏̯͡๏﴿

I'm actually glad that isn't how Wind waker was styled.

uma

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 02:45:44 am »
  • Ghosts can have Aliens too you know.

Yeah, it just woudn't work with WW...
Ghosts of Aliens
Entire project progress: About 20%

My FurAffinity!
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/umathefurry/
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 04:23:30 am »
  • w00t
There's this video of some of the first footage shown for OoT.  Fairly well-known I'm sure, but still rather interesting.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT2KE8qFh5A" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT2KE8qFh5A</a>
What do you mean I need a life?  =P  Hm... Lives... Isn't that something that you get in Super Mario Bros?  You know, those green mushrooms?  That's a life, right?

My one and only fangame, Link Maze, may be viewed at http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=82.0
  • Link Maze - Zelda mini fangame

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 06:22:11 am »
  • Silly cat!

Yeah, Link looks like a big girl.

Actually, I'm surprised "Zelda III NES" hasn't been mention yet, as I believe it to be the most mysterious of all.

Hoffy.

gm112

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 06:24:52 am »

Yes!  It was an "expansion pack" that required the original cartridge.  It was supposed to have a lot of different features, but it was never released (in Japan or out) and we don't have any screenies or anything.
Uhh Possy, that's what Zelda Master Quest has become, lol. It's on Zelda Collectors Edition, and the port of OOT to the GameCube. There's a beta of it floating around with all debugging features enabled.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 12:35:02 pm by gm112 »
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 11:14:04 am »

Uhh Possy, that's what Zelda Master Quest has become, lol. It's on Zelda Collectors Edition, and the port of OOT to the GameCube. There's a beta of it floating around with all debugging features enabled.

Well wikipedia states the master quest version is a watered down version of the dd one, so I don't know whether they're the same.

gm112

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 12:36:50 pm »

Well wikipedia states the master quest version is a watered down version of the dd one, so I don't know whether they're the same.
Yeah, of course it is! What can you expect from going from more space to less space? And I'm pretty sure they are "sort of" the same.. Some of the 64DD elements still exist in the MQ ROM. Just go find the debug version, and you'll know what I mean. Oh and by the way, it is believed that the Zelda III prototype is a fake. I personally think it is because why would a prototype of a SNES game in NES form be around a year before release? It just doesn't make sense. Another weird thing is why it was found in Canada and in US NES format instead of being a famicom diskette. That just doesn't match up right..
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 04:01:10 pm »

Yeah, Link looks like a big girl.

Actually, I'm surprised "Zelda III NES" hasn't been mention yet, as I believe it to be the most mysterious of all.

Yeah, I didn't mention that one, because I'm pretty sure it's fake.  The ROM was supposed to be released by okibi like 1,000 times already... apparently he "sold" the cart.

There's another shot of an apparent Zelda III Proto that has proved fake, too.  Also, I'm pretty confident that if we had a focused shot of the cart, you'd be able to see more noticeably that a sticker has been peeled off to put on that much smaller homemade "printed off" one.

[EDIT] I used to work for okibi's web site, and I've been around the community long enough to know that if it was real, we'd at least have some more information by now.

But hey, in another 2 years maybe he can get a lot more hits with it.  Love him to death, love his site, but hate his handling of the supposed "Zelda III Proto".

We already discussed this. ;)  Also... it's not on the collector's edition disc, only the masterquest disc.

I personally think it is because why would a prototype of a SNES game in NES form be around a year before release? It just doesn't make sense. Another weird thing is why it was found in Canada and in US NES format instead of being a famicom diskette. That just doesn't match up right..
I don't think that part's hard to believe, however I'm not satisfied with his explanation for how "he got it".
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 04:04:42 pm by 2awesome4apossum »
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 04:52:09 pm »
  • And if they dont dance, they're no friend of mine

That style would not have fitted WW at all.
If they ever remake ooT id prefere it to be like that then TP style. But maybe a bit less like a girl... Id like an OoT remake, but not at the expense of a new Zelda.

Art by Kyuumu, banner by me
Screw this, im off to Hogwarts...
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2008, 07:44:22 pm »
  • Your expression has changed too
Do you have a source?  I remember an interview with Miyamoto that said the "project" started out as a remake of "Zelda 1", but didn't work because the GBC screen is more square than a tv screen, so it wouldn't fit, and the remnants you see of their efforts can be found in Oracle of Seasons (which, judging by the first dungeon alone should be painfully obvious for veterans of the first).
http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/069/069154p1.html

It's IGN ( :-\) but I don't see why they'd lie in this situation.
Ghoster Poster
  • I have a Twitter if you're into that kinda thing
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 74 queries.