Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Free Software GM  (Read 2071 times)

Free Software GM
« on: August 26, 2007, 06:45:17 pm »
Earlier today I found that someone (besides Venus) was making a free software replacement for GM. The current (2.x) branch is still in alpha, but once it is finished it will be able to create games in a similar way to GM in Java and convert Gamemaker games.

http://www.g-creator.org/doku.php/
Re: Free Software GM
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 06:50:32 pm »
Venus is doing that too? :O

Anyway, when you said "convert Gamemaker games.", did you mean that the game created with that program can be translated to a .gm6 or .gmk file?
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 07:00:44 pm »
Venus is doing that too? :O

Anyway, when you said "convert Gamemaker games.", did you mean that the game created with that program can be translated to a .gm6 or .gmk file?
Yeah, once she's back on IM, I'll tell her about it. She might be able to contribute her source code to help it out. Not .gmk yet, but .gm6 works in an older version supposedly.

mit

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 07:11:21 pm »
  • QBASIC programmer since age 4. Take that, world.
Having it compatible with GM7 files is not possible. Mark clearly stated against it and added encryption to the source files. G-Java was originally a gm6 to java converter, now it has to just be a java game maker.
Programmer / Spriter / Level designer / Game Director / Web Designer / Music Sequencer for
Random Highscore table:

Play the Kousou Arcade today!
  • Kousou Games
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 07:35:16 pm »
Having it compatible with GM7 files is not possible. Mark clearly stated against it and added encryption to the source files. G-Java was originally a gm6 to java converter, now it has to just be a java game maker.
They broke it. And it's legal.
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 08:19:47 pm »
  • IBV
I'm not really working on it anymore since I haven't had Wine in months now after the reinstall. Without Wine I can't reverse engineer the format (and yes, I did it from scratch because the specs I found were wrong and I didn't find them reliable :P). I have SOME code, but I doubt it's anything new to them (it's mostly just basic RE).

Seems like someone cracked the new encrypted GMK format then, eh? Well, the worst thing right now is that I can't find the document? There's an LGM.zip attachment but I would need to register and according to the replies apparently it only includes a binary .jar, completely useless for a programmer.

Other than that I already knew about the G-Creator project (although I think it was G-Java or GM-Java or something before?). I didn't really like the project, that's why I even wrote a new version myself. I wanted to write it in standard C because at the time Java was proprietary. Probably not a huge issue today since Java is (mostly) free software. Although, I don't like how they apparently provide binary jars now... Could someone with a login please tell me the contents of the zip file in the attachment: http://forums.g-java.com/index.php?showtopic=5315
Thank you.

Well, what he wants is not what we want. And encryption is about as useless as any proprietary software. And it's possible to crack it. Although it might be illegal for the cracker in some countries (mainly in the USA), when the information is out it's not really illegal in most of the world. Americans could very well receive a copy from an European, because it's only the distribution that's illegal not the receiving, AFAIK.

EDIT: Oh, and could someone also try to get the GMKrypt file mentioned in the second post in the link I provided? Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 08:22:59 pm by Venus »
My signature is empty.
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 03:32:43 am »
I'm not really working on it anymore since I haven't had Wine in months now after the reinstall. Without Wine I can't reverse engineer the format (and yes, I did it from scratch because the specs I found were wrong and I didn't find them reliable :P). I have SOME code, but I doubt it's anything new to them (it's mostly just basic RE).

Seems like someone cracked the new encrypted GMK format then, eh? Well, the worst thing right now is that I can't find the document? There's an LGM.zip attachment but I would need to register and according to the replies apparently it only includes a binary .jar, completely useless for a programmer.

Other than that I already knew about the G-Creator project (although I think it was G-Java or GM-Java or something before?). I didn't really like the project, that's why I even wrote a new version myself. I wanted to write it in standard C because at the time Java was proprietary. Probably not a huge issue today since Java is (mostly) free software. Although, I don't like how they apparently provide binary jars now... Could someone with a login please tell me the contents of the zip file in the attachment: http://forums.g-java.com/index.php?showtopic=5315
Thank you.

Well, what he wants is not what we want. And encryption is about as useless as any proprietary software. And it's possible to crack it. Although it might be illegal for the cracker in some countries (mainly in the USA), when the information is out it's not really illegal in most of the world. Americans could very well receive a copy from an European, because it's only the distribution that's illegal not the receiving, AFAIK.

EDIT: Oh, and could someone also try to get the GMKrypt file mentioned in the second post in the link I provided? Thanks.
It seems mostly to contain lots of jars.
Edit: You can find the source here: http://forums.g-java.com/index.php?showtopic=2658&hl=source
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 03:36:14 am by dehvknull »

mit

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 08:04:36 am »
  • QBASIC programmer since age 4. Take that, world.
It's easy enough to break, but that doesn't mean you're allowed to do it. I don't know about the legality of it, but the creator did ask for it to be stopped.
Programmer / Spriter / Level designer / Game Director / Web Designer / Music Sequencer for
Random Highscore table:

Play the Kousou Arcade today!
  • Kousou Games
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 09:35:35 pm »
  • IBV
It's easy enough to break, but that doesn't mean you're allowed to do it. I don't know about the legality of it, but the creator did ask for it to be stopped.
Well, the "creator" (like if you're talking about a god here? lol :P) can dream on as long as there are no laws for it, or even laws that permit it. The U.S. has the DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act) which does make some kinds of reverse engineerings illegal. Europe thankfully has no such laws (AFAIK), and hopefully never will. It's very possible to make the reverse engineering in Europe and then Americans can receive the results from Europeans (at least in form of a program/software, but possibly also in the form of a spec). GameMaker is made in Europe though so the DMCA doesn't applies at all in this case. I'm not a lawyer though so I can be wrong. I'm pretty sure I'm not though.

I think the world needs a generic GameMaker implementation though. The g-Java one is too specific to work for everyone. A raw library in C would be more usable because then we could make GUIs as a separate application. That's kinda what my version is.
My signature is empty.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 53 queries.

anything