Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Developer API  (Read 11760 times)

Developer API
« on: April 25, 2008, 11:13:48 pm »
A few of the admins and I have been throwing around ideas releated to creating a developer API for this site, so that games can access the ZFGC database (obviously limited, not giving out passwords or anything stupid like that) and implement things such as highscore tables, gamertags, achievments, rupee rewards and similar ideas.

Anyhow, I just wanted to know your thoughts on this?

Sorry for the fast post, my battery is about to die.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 05:56:33 am by 4Sword »
Re: Developer API
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 11:20:33 pm »
I think that sounds !@#$% awesome.

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 11:23:12 pm »
  • Things to see and people to do.
I like that. Do it now.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

Hear the haunting words (They'll find you alone)
lost children with no heart are crying (Turning their hearts into stone)
and you're the lost mother they're calling
Go now, run and hide (seek more than vengeance)
I hear them crying at night (your pain is their satisfaction)
outside when the planets are falling (for the rest of time)
They want to feel and know you hear them (Go now, run and hide)

• http://giantcock.netne.net/

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 11:34:18 pm »
  • The Mike
Great idea! I'd go with it.

• Zelda Eternity

Giverny

Christ on Acid
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 11:44:08 pm »
  • Bitte Scheiße
Do it.
THEGivernyPROJECT
~LynkW-Surrender Global
  • Surrender Global Forums
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 12:14:19 am »
  • Life is Terminal, =)
that sounds like a WINdea, meaning it needs to be done.
  • The Void
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 12:44:55 am »
Sounds extremely dangerous. For that kind of stuff you'd have to give both read and wright access to the database, and that could easily be hacked to allow them full access.
So give me you're code and add mine:
Code: 4296-2644-3642

Sorry guys.  I just don't have the time anymore for the CP.  Working two jobs and just having a couple hours to play my Wii and continue learning programming just is not leaving me free time to focus on the CP.  I feel that it's my obligation to step aside as Level Director.  It's just a time issue.  Since I am also a global mod that also takes some of my focus from the CP.  So, it's nothing against anybody or what not, I'm just out of time anymore it seems.  Sorry again.
wtf, i remember posts that used to have content explaining reasons rather than ways to get rises out of users with a youtube video and no reason as to why!

How to post maturely:
epic intolerance, I caught aids from the stupidity in your post

why not issue everyone 5 opinion tokens for each year, if they voice their opinion without presenting a token- they can be legally murdered
Make sure every post you make is mature like these two (and there's many more). You just can't beat ZFGC's friendliness and maturity!

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 12:51:36 am »
Sounds extremely dangerous. For that kind of stuff you'd have to give both read and wright access to the database, and that could easily be hacked to allow them full access.

To which I respond:

A few of the admins and I have been throwing around ideas releated to creating a developer API for this site, so that games can access the ZFGC database (obviously limited, not giving out passwords or anything stupid like that) and implement things such as highscore tables, gamertags, achievments, rupee rewards and similar ideas.

I'm sure the administration is smart enough to limit the abilities of non-staff who access the database.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 12:58:18 am »

To which I respond:

I'm sure the administration is smart enough to limit the abilities of non-staff who access the database.
so that games can access the ZFGC database and implement things such as highscore tables, gamertags, achievments, rupee rewards and similar ideas.
How are they going to magically let you do this without giving you read/write access than?
So give me you're code and add mine:
Code: 4296-2644-3642

Sorry guys.  I just don't have the time anymore for the CP.  Working two jobs and just having a couple hours to play my Wii and continue learning programming just is not leaving me free time to focus on the CP.  I feel that it's my obligation to step aside as Level Director.  It's just a time issue.  Since I am also a global mod that also takes some of my focus from the CP.  So, it's nothing against anybody or what not, I'm just out of time anymore it seems.  Sorry again.
wtf, i remember posts that used to have content explaining reasons rather than ways to get rises out of users with a youtube video and no reason as to why!

How to post maturely:
epic intolerance, I caught aids from the stupidity in your post

why not issue everyone 5 opinion tokens for each year, if they voice their opinion without presenting a token- they can be legally murdered
Make sure every post you make is mature like these two (and there's many more). You just can't beat ZFGC's friendliness and maturity!

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 01:01:05 am »
How are they going to magically let you do this without giving you read/write access than?

PHP and MySQL. That is, assuming that ZFGC uses MySQL.

(!@#$%)

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 01:33:52 am »
  • Life is Terminal, =)
Im sure that they could if they dont currently.
  • The Void
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 01:51:11 am »
  • If not now, when?

To which I respond:

so that games can access the ZFGC database and implement things such as highscore tables, gamertags, achievments, rupee rewards and similar ideas.
By creating a Developer API... Direct access to the database isn't really an API  ::)
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 02:46:02 am »
  • Minalien
There's also the possibility of somebody on the administrative side, namely Infinitus, writing server software that receives messages from games that identifies the information, granting zero direct database access to applications.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 02:48:06 am »
  • :'O
Thats a great idea!
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2008, 02:48:40 am »
  • ๏̯͡๏﴿
I like this idea! XD
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2008, 03:02:01 am »
  • Life is Terminal, =)
There's also the possibility of somebody on the administrative side, namely Infinitus, writing server software that receives messages from games that identifies the information, granting zero direct database access to applications.
i feel slightly stupid now. Im sorta surprised that I didnt think of that sort of possibility.  I really have had that sort of train of thought in my head for sometime, just never been reality.
  • The Void
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2008, 04:08:44 am »
sounds like a great idea.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2008, 09:10:58 am »
Yeh CassyXY kind of has it. I obviously won't be allowing games direct access to the database, thats far, far to insecure, instead there will be a server script that will recieve messages from the API stopping any direct access to the DB.
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2008, 09:13:43 am »

that would be best, but more work for him :P

My Child Is Student of The Month at Neverland Ranch!
  • SSEdit
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2008, 04:10:48 pm »
I think this sounds like a great idea, assuming that it can be done in a secure manner, (it sounds like it can).  Since I'm personally not into development I wouldn't be using it personally, but I think I would definitely get a lot of use out of it, (if that makes any sense, lol).
You rich !@#$%. I wish I could afford AIDs.
Payback's a !@#$% :P BTW Mamoruanime was here
  • [my deviantART gallery]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 76 queries.