Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Poll

Would you enter this contest?

YES!!! Ooh god, yes!!
- 3 (42.9%)
Probably, sound interesting.
- 2 (28.6%)
I don't know. I have doubts.
- 1 (14.3%)
Probably not my cup of tea, sorry.
- 1 (14.3%)
Are you serious??! Hell no!!!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: March 19, 2011, 02:31:21 pm

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How about another contest  (Read 3294 times)

How about another contest
« on: March 04, 2011, 05:10:36 pm »
Event: A dungeondesign contest where I'll turn the winning map into a standalone game
When: Starts mid - late April 2011
Duration: Preliminary plan is for 6 weeks of development

Each participant is presented a GMare file preloaded with the relevant objects and backgrounds from my game. No additional resources may be used. All particants attempt to build a actual dungeon, which is later graded on originality, fun factor and general appeal by the general. I personally will grade it on feasibility. The winning design will be converted into a stand alone game, so we actually play it in action. Should be a fun experiment to pass the time.

At the enddate each participant will return the following:
- The finished GMare file containing the designed dungeon
- A secondary textfile detailing the dungeon for the general audience
The goal is to describe the general working of your dungeon and how you'd like switches and doors to behave.
- Further files aimed towards me giving me the needed information to build your dungeon.
Think along the lines of indexnumbers for a range of different objects and detailing the roomparameters.

I will do my best to describe below how to build your dungeon.

-----------------------------------
-----------------------------------

Step 1. Downloading GMare & resources

GMare can be found here: http://gmare.codeplex.com/
Resources can be found here: <will only be available at the start of the event>

< Maybe I'll include more information on how to get started with GMare >

Step 2. Determining rooms

Part A

When building your dungeon you will need to determine how large each individual room will be and where it is placed. To help you achieve this I have include the objects: obj_Room_Block_Large_A t/m D. Set your GMare grid to 320x320 and place up to 10 blocks to make up your dungeon. Here's an example:

The example shows that I want to build 3 rooms in my dungeon, using four blocks of 320x320 pixels.
Just a friendly warning: do not make rooms consisting of more then 6 blocks. It may murder the framerate if you are going place lot's of objects in them later.

The following is an example that is wrong:

Rooms must always have a rectangular shape. The example above has a room that is a different shape and thus will not be usable.

Part B

After you have layed down the blocks to build your dungeon it is time to document the basic variables needed. Give each room a indexnumber starting from zero and create a seperate textfile to document the following per room: room index / x / y / width / height.

For the example I would have to document the following.

Code: [Select]
Index / x / y / width / height
 0 /   0 /   0 / 320 / 320
 1 / 320 /   0 / 320 / 320
 2 /   0 / 320 / 640 / 320

Part C (not manditory)

You may list a name per room. This name will be briefly displayed in the center of the screen if a player enters that room. The game remembers the last name to have appeared. If the character walks into a room with a different name then that new name gets displayed. Nothing happens if a room does not have a name. You can use this to give the player a message when he first enters an area, whenever he enters a new room or when he moves from once section to another section.

Given the example screenshot I have been using I could send along the following information:
Code: [Select]
Index / x / y / width / height / name
 0 /   0 /   0 / 320 / 320 / Shrine
 1 / 320 /   0 / 320 / 320 / Shrine
 2 /   0 / 320 / 640 / 320 / Treasureroom
The result will be that the player will once get a message that he's entered the shrine (assuming he starts in either room 0 or 1). Whenever he enters the treasury he will get a notification. Whenever he leaves the treasury he will get a notification.

And that concludes defining rooms.

Step 3. Building bare rooms
< explination is being worked on >

Step 4. Connecting your rooms

Step 5. Adding roommasking
< I'm skipping this step to keep things simple. You will not have to do any masking>

Step 7. Placing various objects

Step 8. Placing enemies

Step 9. Detailing dungeon conditions

Step 10. Detailing the start and ending positions
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 02:27:50 pm by Martijn dh »

Xiphirx

wat
Re: How about another contest?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 06:32:32 pm »
  • Xiphirx
I say go for it, sounds like a neat idea :P
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 07:32:08 pm by Xiphirx »
  • For The Swarm
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 07:52:26 pm »
You should post this in Feedback as the Staff board isn't going to likely have many of those who would be contributing, more than likely. There might get to be an attitude of idealism, or sometimes in a fervor to do something people think they can do anything however impractical, but posting it in a more open area encourages regular members to contribute too.
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 08:13:15 pm »
Point taken. Could you please move the topic over to the feedback section then (since my admin rights are gone these days)?
It'll take some time to set up (like a number of weekends) so I figured the staff section would be a good place to start without getting anybody's hopes up too much, but I understand what you're saying.

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 08:52:04 pm »
  • Xiphirx
Done
  • For The Swarm
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 11:02:05 am »
If we are going to do this, then it's best to start slow. More available features will be added as time goes by and more contests have been held. I don't want to start off fluding the contestants with too much with information, rules and so on.

I'll try to explain the proposed contestsrules in more detail in the starting post. What I want you guys to do is comment if the rules are in any way unclear, so that we can work towards a noob friendly explanation.

PS: Can the winner be rewarded with a little icons/trophy like I have earned from PoTM?
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 02:00:18 pm »
I'll see about setting up the contest mid April (which is right after my exams). Contestants will be given about 4 or 5 weeks to turn in their results.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 54 queries.