Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Do You Approach Games You've Finished Again?  (Read 1652 times)

Koh

How Do You Approach Games You've Finished Again?
« on: June 05, 2013, 02:21:03 pm »
  • Tamer Koh
Not to be seen in a general light.  Basically, once you've been through a game once or more, and have seen everything there is to see in the "normal" way, how do you approach your replays?

I personally try to find ways to either break the game, or make the game faster.

Breaking the Game
-Not to be taken literally.  What falls under this category are bugs that developers didn't catch, by doing absurd things, such as bugs that mess up the maps and stuff.  This can be enteraining all on its own to see what kind of crazy things can happen.  A perfect example of this is using Link's Awakening's (Original) screen skipping glitch to get onto the top of the Southern Face Shrine.  If you enter the door from the top side, the game starts to read RAM as ROM and all sorts of crazy things happen.  The map bases are those of the official maps, such as Tail Cave, but the graphics are all messed up, and the treasure chests all contain shovels (but you can only open one once.)

Make the Game Faster
-Can go hand in hand with speedrunning if it's that sort of thing, but namely, glitches or in-game exploits that can be used in your favor.  For example, any version of Final Fantasy 2 (The REAL FF2, not USA's ultimate naming screwup of all time).  If you constantly attack an enemy, doing 0 damage, you still gain weapon exp, and can max out the levels quick.  You can also make it even easier by putting the weapons on the characters' "bad" hand, so that the damage and number of hits are decreased.
  • Megaclipse Games
Re: How Do You Approach Games You've Finished Ag...
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 04:39:32 pm »
  • ^ Jugglink ^
It really depends on the game and what kind of game it is. With a Zelda game I usually tend to just play around with the weapons (like hitting Epona or Chickens with the Boomerang), Or like TP I always steal a Boar (if you would call it stealing) just so i can ride around with the other ones chasing me.
But Final Fantasy I usually just replay for the story (Its the closest thing to a book that I will read).
The Elder Scrolls and Fallout on the other hand are Really fun games to find glitches on, Like in Fallout NV if you buy a sniper rifle and get Fire Ammo for it you can catch enemies on fire using V.A.T.S. then canceling V.A.T.S., the best part of it is that the enemies wont be able to find you XD .
But yeah in conclusion all in all it just Really depends on what game it is.  :)
The First Link, Was A Dark One... The First Zelda, Was Not Royalty... The First Midna, Was Still Torn... And... The Soul Of Ganon, Is Vengeful For A Reason.....

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 12:25:53 am »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
Sequence Breaking is a fun way to replay a game, especially since it's tied to speedrunning and it's cooler.  However, only a small variety of games even allow that, like the 2D Metroid games, and other games feign the ability to sequence break but they're really ways for you to shuffle your next priorities (see A Link to the Past's Dark World dungeons after the Dark Palace)(also see the classic Mega Man games).

You could also do a minimalist run, like going through ALTTP without getting any Piece of Heart, without the Bombos Medallion, etc.  For games like Final Fantasy, it's basically try to beat the game with as low a level (and stats)(and with low-power items and no armor) as possible.  Just a few fun ideas.
I was talking to my friend last night, and he was mentioning about how in 1980, he thought the internet would become this amazing place where people from across the world would share ideas. I was telling him about how this project [KOT] has worked, lurching along for years and drawn by different people from across the globe, and he thought it was beautiful. And he was right, it's awesome. :D

Zelda Items Spritesheet album (OUT OF DATE) - (link here)
A Link Across Time project - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Metroid) - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Zelda) - (link here)
Boss Keys project Trello Board - (link here)

Koh

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 10:24:57 am »
  • Tamer Koh
Well, the latter just isn't something I'm fond of doing in RPGs....I've explained why previously on Spriter's Resource.

I dunno, RPGs with personal challenges like Main Characters Only wouldn't be hard for someone like me, because I'm the type of person who grinds a powerful team.  Even if I'm not aiming to max out the base level, but the job level to get the highest tier abilities, like Final Fantasy 5 for example, it happens.  Low Level runs aren't my cup of tea; it doesn't make the game harder, but rather, elongates everything, because you're spamming potions and/or healing spells every single turn while dealing what could be considered scratch damage.  Just a waste of time for me; I'd rather work to build a strong team and see the efforts of my labor than reset a lot trying to get the perfect potion and/or healing spell spamming luck run.
  • Megaclipse Games
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 05:48:42 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
With RPGs, I usually try to build my characters up in new ways. I also search for side quests, mainly looking for hidden sub-plots or interesting info on characters. This usually means talking to every single NPC multiple times, and I take things really slow whenever I'm moving about the game world, looking to see if there is anything out of place; searching for secrets.

With every game, on the second playthrough, I tend to fool around a lot and I usually don't even finish the game again (unless I play it again for more story). With Zelda, if there are chickens to attack, I might do that, or I'll try to find ways to skip certain items or areas. In most games, I will also try to find glitches. Other times I will mess with enemies, trying out very unorthodox things to see if I can kill them in the most unlikely ways possible - stuff like that. I usually fool around like this when I'm extremely bored.

Since I'm into game development, I also tend to play through games again to study why I loved them so much, or why I thought they sucked. It's amazing how much one can learn from just observation.

Oh yeah, and if it's a game that gives me the ability to make a character look cool by doing fancy stunts or if it's a game that allows me to create massive explosions, then on my second playthrough I will generally make thorough use of such things. ;)
  • My Music
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 47 queries.